Storm on def or corr?

dragonhawk777

with the new Storm Blast set coming out I was thinking of trying out a storm/storm character.  Does the Storm set (not storm blast) perform better on a Defender or a Coruptor?  I know certain sets seem to perform better on defenders than corruptors and vise versa, but was unsure where Storm Summoning fell.

It’s interesting. I believe STORM performs better on a Defender, but the new Storm Blast has a ton of DOTS and would be better on a Corruptor.

So if you’re just going Storm Blast, probably Corruptor. If you’re going Storm/Storm, more of a toss up.

This is all guesswork on my end though.

id trust scourge over a bigger o2 boost and a couple of buffed pseudopets. when equipped.

(but honoroit, base values on def make it easier to cap stats for def and res!) <-- its not better than scourge.

Edited by honoroit

Storm Summoning generally works better on a Defender. In general, Defenders are better for everything except raw damage. However, with Storm Summoning, a significant portion of your damage comes from Storm Summoning itself and the numbers are equivalent/better on a Defender. Defenders are also a lot easier to build effectively than Corruptors since they get better numbers on all of the support elements (defenses, endurance, etc.)

I haven't played enough with Storm Blast to really render a solid opinion but my initial impression is that it's not a particularly good combo with Storm Summoning. Storm Blast relies heavily on its location AE. While these location AE may come with slows attached, those slows are normally going to be insufficient to keep mobs contained within them if you're at range. Moreover, your Tornado is going to scatter enemies out of the fields. So while it may be thematically appropriate for Storm Summoning, I think Storm Blast really works best on a Sentinel where you can stand within your own fields.

On the other hand, the old standby of Water Blast remains thematically appropriate while getting a big boost. Removing the cooldown on Water Jet dramatically improves the set. In a 7 sec cycle of Aqua/Hydro/Aqua/Jet/Jet, you're able to fire procs twice (including double-tapping your Apocalypse) in that window. With three standard procs and Apocalypse, this is around 70 dps just from the procs on Water Jet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hjarki said:

Storm Summoning generally works better on a Defender. In general, Defenders are better for everything except raw damage. However, with Storm Summoning, a significant portion of your damage comes from Storm Summoning itself and the numbers are equivalent/better on a Defender. Defenders are also a lot easier to build effectively than Corruptors since they get better numbers on all of the support elements (defenses, endurance, etc.)

I haven't played enough with Storm Blast to really render a solid opinion but my initial impression is that it's not a particularly good combo with Storm Summoning. Storm Blast relies heavily on its location AE. While these location AE may come with slows attached, those slows are normally going to be insufficient to keep mobs contained within them if you're at range. Moreover, your Tornado is going to scatter enemies out of the fields. So while it may be thematically appropriate for Storm Summoning, I think Storm Blast really works best on a Sentinel where you can stand within your own fields.

On the other hand, the old standby of Water Blast remains thematically appropriate while getting a big boost. Removing the cooldown on Water Jet dramatically improves the set. In a 7 sec cycle of Aqua/Hydro/Aqua/Jet/Jet, you're able to fire procs twice (including double-tapping your Apocalypse) in that window. With three standard procs and Apocalypse, this is around 70 dps just from the procs on Water Jet.

Absolutely. I have a lv 50 Storm/Water that I haven’t IO’d out yet… but I have a feeling it’ll be a lot stronger after these changes.

On 4/7/2023 at 9:50 AM, Hjarki said:

I already have a Water toon, and Storm Blast seems to fit an overall weather control based toon.  I do agree taht for overall dps Water is likely to do better than Storm or Electric as far as straight up dps goes, particularly on a team situation.

On 4/8/2023 at 1:56 PM, dragonhawk777 said:

I already have a Water toon, and Storm Blast seems to fit an overall weather control based toon.  I do agree taht for overall dps Water is likely to do better than Storm or Electric as far as straight up dps goes, particularly on a team situation.

Being professionally skeptical, how do you know how much damage, storm damage, does on a defender before the beta is released in its final glorious form? That said, I do love my Storm/water defender a LOT.

to the OP, the correct answer is DEFENDER, storm DEFENDERS outperform corruptors, just like FF.