Invisible Jetpack?

6 hours ago, kidsnowflake said:

Not going to lie, I'd totally play that character. 🙂

The point I'm making though is it'd be nice to have the option to stay on theme with the P2W travel powers. Ninja Run got Beast Run and Athletic Run for people who aren't ninjas.

I get the idea of a theme and wanting to stay true to it.  I've got a number of characters that I consider to be light-based and are stuck using the Blackstaff bonus power from the P2W vendor...  Why is there no Lightstaff option that does the same damage but with bright flashy effects?  And those animal form travel powers are cool, but why just regular animals and no robot forms for my shapeshifting robot form to transform into?  We have Ninja Run and Beast Run and Athletic Run, but why no rollerskate or ice skate options to use in place of Powerslide?

Everything at the P2W Vendor is bonus... as in optional.  It would be nice if there were more options, but none of it is necessary.

Just take the stuff that works for you, play with it, and either don't use the stuff that doesn't fit or figure out a reason why your character would use it anyway.

Edited by Player2
  • Thumbs Down 1

I just want to address one other thing since I went to bed early and missed a lot of the discussion:

Someone described the jetpack flight as buying a jetpack from a vendor and you countered by saying you are buying a power from a vendor.

When you take the power of flight from one of the pools, you get to decide if it is an inherent or magical ability or if it's tied to body augmentation by adding wings or if it is technological by adding a jetpack backpack (and/or boot jet) option.  There's lots of customization options for the powers you choose as part of your build.  The stuff that's extra is not buying a power from a vendor... or rather, it is, but the vendor is selling a power that comes from a specific source.  You are buying a jetpack that provides the power of flight.  Just like buying Team Teleport option gives you access to an Arachnos or Longbow flier to drop off your whole team at the next mission.  Why can't they just sell the team teleport as an actual teleport option without the floating vehicle option for characters that don't want to be affiliated with the main hero or villain organization?  Because teleport isn't what's being sold, that's just the effect that's tied to the visual.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 5/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, Rudra said:

No, with the request for a model-less jetpack, you are asking to get the Fly or Mystic Flight power without having to spend the power slot to get it . . . [snip]

Not if, like the existing jetpacks, it's slower and time-limited (and costs influence to buy more total time when it runs out). People don't take Fly or Mystic Flight for the lack of a backpack visual, they take it for the speed, and the fact that it's usable forever without dipping back to Atlas Park to 'refuel.' There is zero reason not to add Minimum FX for the existing jetpack, the OP is requesting a completely cosmetic option, and you're just kneejerking with a bad interpretation that you had to try to purposefully reach.

Edited by A.I.D.A.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hero:  "I'll take 300 Envenomed Daggers, 50 Recovery Serum, and 1 Flight without a jerpack."

Merchant:  "We've had a run on those daggers, but I just restocked.  Here's your serum, but don't get it confused with the venom.  But I don't know how to sell you flight without a jetpack... I'm not a wizard."

Hero:  "Keep the jetpack, just sell me the flight that it gives."

Merchant:  "Sorry, kid.  It doesn't work like that."

Hero:  "Then make it work like that.  Get the developers to code it in."

Merchant:  "So just rewrite the universe to suit you?  I'll have to get back to you on that."

The sellable temp powers generally have a reason (or at least excuse) for being available.  You're buying a thing that provides the power you want.  So you've just been asking for what you want all wrong.

Hero:  "I'd like a magic ring that grants flight.  Jetpacks are noisy, ugly, and contribute to pollution junk, so I want nothing to do with them."

Merchant:  "That makes sense.  Sorry, I don't have any in stock right now...  but let me see if I can order some for later.  Check back after a few patches..."

Bystander:  "You can't have flight without jetpacks unless it's part of your powers."

Hero:  "Not with that attitude."

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 5/25/2023 at 12:04 AM, Rudra said:

[snip] he/she/them/it [snip]

Don't do this. 'It' is not a pronoun you can ever respectfully apply to a person. 'It' is for objects. You've done that twice in this thread alone.

Edited by A.I.D.A.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

44 minutes ago, A.I.D.A. said:

Don't do this. 'It' is not a pronoun you can ever respectfully apply to a person. 'It' is for objects. You've done that twice in this thread alone.

Are you saying people can't identify as objects?

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, A.I.D.A. said:
On 5/25/2023 at 12:04 AM, Rudra said:

[snip] he/she/them/it [snip]

Every time I use "it", it is in reference to a character, not a player. Seeing as how I have non-human, mechanical characters that lack any gender at all and don't associate themselves with any gender, "it" is the correct pronoun for them. When I say "he/she/them/it" or "(s)he/them/it", I am acknowledging that some players, myself included, make "it" characters.

Edit: Also, is there a reason you chose to thumbs down almost every post I made in this thread, including my attempts to provide suggestions for the author's character? Or why you chose to laugh at my apology?

Edited by Rudra

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

Every time I use "it", it is in reference to a character, not a player. Seeing as how I have non-human, mechanical characters that lack any gender at all and don't associate themselves with any gender, "it" is the correct pronoun for them. When I say "he/she/them/it" or "(s)he/them/it", I am acknowledging that some players, myself included, make "it" characters.

Edit: Also, is there a reason you chose to thumbs down almost every post I made in this thread, including my attempts to provide suggestions for the author's character? Or why you chose to laugh at my apology?

That may be, but it's not a very great thing to see at the end of a pronoun list, as a trans person against whom object pronouns have been used as slurs for a long time.

Regarding your edit: Yes. So, so many reasons. But I know bait when I see it, so I'm just going to say that I dislike when people double-down on bad-faith arguments (yours was started from a false premise, and proceeded through four pages as though that false premise were true), and call this thread a day.

Edited by A.I.D.A.
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2