I missed this game, happy it is back.

Recently installed Homecoming, and oh, the wonderful nostalgia. Like slipping on a set of old comfortable shoes. It also makes me realize just how much QoL that this game had baked into it compared to even more modern MMO's.

Little things, like a map UI element that can function as both a minimap and main map. Full keybinding and ability to quickly port them to other characters. Not needing to fiddle with looting bodies. Not being harshly limited in who you can team with. An auction house system that isn't a form of economic BDSM. Absolutely ludicrous levels of player agency over build and appearance.

Feels good to be back.

Thank you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Glad you found Homecoming.  This is seriously one of the best games for so many reasons 

Hey, as a personal favor?  When you do a Posi 1, on the last mission….  Stay away from the front of the town hall.  Its a personal favor, so just if you see a toon with Snark…something.  Snarky Snarkthis Snarkthat.  Any team without me on it feel free to stand and paw at the door like a dog trying to get in out of the rain.   Just not on mine.  I have seen it. It loses its attraction after the first 70-100 times. 

• Haha 11

Welcome Home!

Just to be clear: is this your first time in CoH: Homecoming, and you only played the original game?  Or are you returning to Homecoming after a long absence?

Assuming this is your first time in the Homecoming version, CoH has not been a static game and there are many changes.  Some are obvious, like new powersets.  Some are not so obvious, but beneficial.  I'll point one of those out: travel

Travel has become much easier than in the Original Game (OG).  The Homecoming Development team aided players by creating the Fast Travel "button", a type of accolade that you can drop into one of your powers trays.  It acts as a pop-up menu, allowing you to access a variety of travel abilities that would normally take up several spaces in your powers trays.  To acquire the Fast Travel, you have to tag all the exploration badge spots in the beginner's zone, Atlas Park.  You'll find the subsequent reward Fast Travel under "Accolades" in your powers listings.  It is dark green.  Simply drag it to a spot on your powers trays, and click it to access the menu. 

(Actually, I've never investigated it in regards to the red side or gold side, so the experience might be different there.  Perhaps someone else reading this can fill us in.)

Opening the Fast Travel, you'll find "Long Range TP Zone Check" at the bottom, which, when moused over, highlights other menus.  Everytime you find an initial exploration marker in a different zone, it will highlight in these menus, and that zone will unlock for you to fast travel to via a teleportation.  Be aware that there is a recharge time.

Access to the time zone, Ouroboros is no longer restricted to level 14 and up.  Ask in Atlas Park for someone to drop an "O-Portal" to allow you to get in, and get your own power tray access to Ouroboros, which is another way people travel quickly through the game, popping into the O, and exiting to one of several destinations.  (Be sure to grab the badge while there.  The marker is at the top of the structure.)

Other features under the Fast Travel may be grayed out, and will unlock either through something earned, such as Day Job badge rewards, or by acquisition from the P2W vendors.  There's one in Atlas Park to the side of the Atlas Statue, by the fountain.  Another is in Pocket D.  While you're visiting the P2W vendor, you'll likely want to grab everything free from them under the category "Prestige Powers".  Some are "either this one or that one" so be sure to read the descriptions.  There's some nice fighting powers there to help a novice character. You may also wish to grab the free Prestige Enhancements, which, though not as powerful as the Single Origin enhancements sold at standard vendors, do provide some nice procs up until level 22.  Lastly, you'll likely want to look at the Temporary Powers at the P2W vendor.  There's many useful things, like jetpacks, that cost the game currency INF, but there's also free experience boosters under Temp Powers/Buffs/Experience Boosters.  One hour each, and you can requisition up to eight at a time.  Although jetpacks cost something, I like to keep one as an emergency travel spare, just in case my travel powers are ever interrupted.

Edited by Techwright
added highlights
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

(Actually, I've never investigated it in regards to the red side or gold side, so the experience might be different there.  Perhaps someone else reading this can fill us in.)

You can unlock that by finding every exploration badge in any zone.

You can also get the accolade just by spending one hour in Pocket D and unlocking fast travel to there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Techwright said:

Welcome Home!

Just to be clear: is this your first time in CoH: Homecoming, and you only played the original game?  Or are you returning to Homecoming after a long absence?

First time in Homecoming, played the original game for a long time.

Oh hey and thanks for the links, now I know Homecoming has a wiki page. That's already been helpful for figuring out what has been changed as far as standard systems from vanilla. Was having a heck of a time trying to find John Snow until I read about just being able to use a slash command.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:26 AM, Snarky said:

Glad you found Homecoming.  This is seriously one of the best games for so many reasons 

Hey, as a personal favor?  When you do a Posi 1, on the last mission….  Stay away from the front of the town hall.  Its a personal favor, so just if you see a toon with Snark…something.  Snarky Snarkthis Snarkthat.  Any team without me on it feel free to stand and paw at the door like a dog trying to get in out of the rain.   Just not on mine.  I have seen it. It loses its attraction after the first 70-100 times. 

that is so funny

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, OverkillEngine said:

Oh hey and thanks for the links, now I know Homecoming has a wiki page.

Sure thing, and be sure to stick to the Homecoming wiki.  One of the other ones out there allegedly has integrity issues of the malware kind.

• Thumbs Up 1