The most tankiest Tanker? Maybe?

the mauler

I assume that this build is for your post reaching 50 and play considerations....

If you're playing casually on a team for most content, it is going to be ok.  Not great but ok.  You will be dependent on the dynamics of what your team brings to the table though and what you're fighting/context of fighting too mind you.   Again, mostly, its ok.

If you're trying to shoot for more challenging content, then its going to find some potential issues and challenges with that build.  Remember, typically in more challenging team content, the team brings the defense considerations(mostly) to the table.  Hyper focusing on defense at the sacrifice of your resistances, recharge, damage, regen/heal and more means its not as robust and team contributing with your role as you may feel it should/could be.  An example too of things, if your storm kick misses, you lose not only 10% defense during that time, you also miss the +resistance due to the slotting and that dependency for its success in your rotation is something you may want to reconsider for your "tanky" numbers.

Your incarnage choices could also be improved in these above regards.

2 hours ago, Sanguinesun said:

An example, if your storm kick misses, you lose not only 10% defense during that time, you also miss the +resistance due to the slotting and that dependency for its success in your rotation is something you may want to reconsider for your "tanky" numbers.

Agree. 

I'll take another angle:  pairings.  With Invincibility, you're not really going to need (more) self +Def.  Inv/Dark Melee can be made nigh-unkillable, outside HM content.  Same with Shield/DM (and alot of SD pairings).  I love my Inv/SS tank, and reach for him to do almost any content, but the Inv/Dark is "tankier".

Edited by PLVRIZR
reworded

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Your build looks like one from late 2012 - aiming for i-capped def with a layer of resistances to back it up. Invuln in 2023 has the meta "problem" that 1) all the most damaging critters in the modern game have high tohit and 2) defense buffs are abdundant and much more efficient coming from teammates than your build. So that kind of nudges max-survivability designs to prioritize capping resistances first while relying on the team for +def, and invuln struggles to cap exotic resists.

If you want an undying tanker in the only content in the game that asks for a tanking tanker (4* hardmode), you should try something like rad/ma/soul (or any parry set with rad and soul, though I favor MA because it's not only one of the better dps sets on tankers but also offers across-the-board defense), which can get 40-45% def to all, capped resists except cold across the board, strong debuff resists against the most dangerous debuffs (slow and drain), amazing sustain, endless end, offensive buffs, and a darkest night with fender debuff values. The lack of -def resist isn't an issue, since in the content where you need it, the point is to provide a thick layer of defense to stack with party buffs, and outside of that it can be considered abalative armor. Invuln isn't exactly bad, though it wouldn't be my first pick for hardmode because it has poor sustain - and do you really want to trust pug healers?

In the end, play whatever you like, this build still has more mitigation than needed for anything you're likely to encounter and 99% of people who talk about building tankers that can "stand up to anything" never actually play hardmode anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zect said:

Your build looks like one from late 2012 - aiming for i-capped def with a layer of resistances to back it up. Invuln in 2023 has the meta "problem" that 1) all the most damaging critters in the modern game have high tohit and 2) defense buffs are abdundant and much more efficient coming from teammates than your build. So that kind of nudges max-survivability designs to prioritize capping resistances first while relying on the team for +def, and invuln struggles to cap exotic resists.

finally some high quality advice in a build thread, i completely agree

as a tank you’ll usually be playing with others, therefore consider which powersets are complimented the most by the types of buffs you’ll receive during HM and endgame content if you like to play at that level

if you prefer sub lvl 40 content like me, you can put your foot slightly further on the defence pedal

either way, i’d say make sure you’re considering how to attract and maintain aggro for the team you wish to support

I agree with the notion of Radiation. It's just generally the best Resist set for across-the-board resists. You can make yourself impervious to not just damage but virtually all debuffs as well (with clever slotting/power picks). The fact that it's recovery and recharge benefits allow you a very versatile choice of secondary is just a bonus.

Super Reflexes is also a contender. Between the ability to hit Relentless soft-cap on all positionals and the scaling resists that - again with clever slotting/power picks - can hard cap resists at a still-sustainable health total, an SR Tanker can really handle most anything before your allies weigh in with their buffs.

So this is my current tanker Myte, that I had on Live, but have recreated here on HC. With Master Kimchi I was looking at how it might work with just changing the secondary from SS to MA. Myte is finishing the incarnates, but this is how I think he should end up. My main concern is in post 50 content, incarnate content etc, will the defense be enough with buffs from mates? Any observations and/or tips? Thanks all.

Myte Tanker (Invulnerability - Super Strength).mbd

18 hours ago, the mauler said:

So this is my current tanker Myte, that I had on Live, but have recreated here on HC. With Master Kimchi I was looking at how it might work with just changing the secondary from SS to MA. Myte is finishing the incarnates, but this is how I think he should end up. My main concern is in post 50 content, incarnate content etc, will the defense be enough with buffs from mates? Any observations and/or tips? Thanks all.

Myte Tanker (Invulnerability - Super Strength).mbd 47.88 kB · 2 downloads

Should be fine with most teams doing post 50 content.  Effectivity for hardmode starred content though will depend on the team composition.

Thanks for all the great advice! A few more changes brings Master Kimchi to this. Resistances capped. Defenses w/o Storm Kick are,I think, decent? Close to max HP (will hit max with Accolades - however since accolades are only for a short time , HP 3389 without them. Moved FF proc to Dragons Tail instead of Invincibility for greater proc chance I think or is invincibility still better? OK Toxic isn't capped 🙂 but is only .01% off. Let me know what you think. Would Bruce Lee be jealous? NOPE!

Master Kimchi - Tanker (Invulnerability - Martial Arts).mbd

Edited by the mauler