controller

bdick99

12 hours ago, bdick99 said:

i was looking for build help for this one. i am bad at building toons. Would anyone have a build for a fire/storm/mu?

I didn't get into making builds until Homecoming. Grab Mids and start hacking away at it. The ATOs are easy enough to place. The AoE Hold to a default gets Lockdown. Look at other builds and see what tends to get taken. I find there is a lot of similarities between what gets slotted for various powersets. Its fine if the build sucks. I have been known to do a walkthrough of a build 3-4 times before I am happy. At that point post it online and let people look at it. The biggest thing about Fire/storm is you want to make sure you cover End because that thing is going to suck your End bar dry without much effort. I would three slot it with Performance Shifter: +End, Power Transfer: End Mod and Power Transfer: Chance to Heal Self. Stick whatever you can into Health with giving you +End.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

5 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

Grab Mids and start hacking away at it.

It can be overwhelming at first but take a chance, make a crappy build, and you'll get better at it faster than you expect probably.  Then look at some other builds in the Controller forum and get ideas from those.  Other peoples' builds are great for inspiration, but it's nice to be able to create a build that's tailored just for your preferences.

• Like 1

You might consider Psi as your epic pool for the status protection clickie. Fire Control generally wants to be in the middle of things (and on the ground) for Hot Feet. This makes almost any status effect a death sentence as it shuts down all those toggles protecting you.

8 hours ago, bdick99 said:

llt Storm - Controller (Fire Control - Storm Summoning).mbdthis is my working fire/storm/mu controller so far

Do you literally have two KB to KD slotted in the same power? I didn't even think that was possible. The build is a mess. You slot controls for damage. You are a controller. Slot as if you are one. The ATOs are going to be giving you the best benefits for your controls and you. There are all sorts of questionable power picks, or the lack of picking something like Hot Feet. I haven't IOed out the Storm side of things, but I would at least try to figure out the Fire side and go from there. I figure if I can do one half of the two sets, that gives me an idea of what I have left for room for the other side, and I can go from there.

Char gets Overpowering Presence.

Flashfire get Will of the Controller.

Cinders gets Lockdown.

Hot Feet gets a PBAoE set of your choosing although one which has ample End Redux would be ideal. 5 slot it with the PBAoE set and then one slot for Fury of the Gladiator -Res proc.

I did Bonfire with Annihilation 5 slotted skipping on the D/E and putting in a KB to KD IO for the 6th slot.

I did 4 slots of Expedient Reinforcement on the pets, but if you have slots for 6-slotting it, go for it.

If you want to take the immobilization powers, by all means slot those for damage.

See, it is like you are almost half way there. 😛

You will want to indirectly gain at least +4KB protection. That can be done via a shield and a ranged attack.

You will also want to monitor your End Recovery versus End Drain in the Totals tab. You easily want more than a point difference in the favor of end recovery. You can factor in the stat boosting accolades and going Incarnate, but get it fixed before that if you want to enjoy leveling. FYI, you want Stamina three slotted with Power Transfer: End Mod, Power Transfer: Chance to Heal Self, and Performance Shifter: Chance for +End. That Power Transfer: D/R is doing nothing for you outside of a set bonus.

Bah, I forgot. Hasten only needs two slots. Two level 50 IOs is more than enough. More so if you get them both with +5 added on.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

For the Storm side of things, FR isn't worth slotting for damage. You do want to slot a -Res proc in it. Hurricane you slot for ToHit Debuffs. Steamy Mist is where you can load up on one slot wonders for Def and Res IOs. O2 Boost as well. Steamy Mist should never be 1 slotted. Take slots from FR.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

Hey there!

Again, I would encourage you to review the controller forums. Hopefully someone sees and moves the thread over. : )

I agree that your current build needs a ground up rework. I understand we all must start somewhere, and new combos can take some understanding!

Meanwhile, I did a quick run of how I would approach this combo:

Controller (Fire Control - Storm Summoning).mbd

This build is focused heavily on recharge so you can cycle all of your tools of chaos. I've included as much end support as possible, as you'll run dry on fire/storm very easily. Power Sink is not something you want to use all the time, but is there if you need it, and you definitely will need it at times. I would prefer more slow resist, but have included at least a modest amount.

The general strategy: 

• Open with Flashfire, then follow up with Freezing Rain. Bonfire also works as an alpha killer when Flashfire is down, but when in solo play I'd recommend getting used to hurricane as well. You can stay very safe with any opener followed up by hurricane, though may not want to employ this on a team.
  • Spam Cages, throw out Tornado, LS, and ball lightning on cooldown.
  • Dive straight into melee range so Hot feet can do its thing. Since you have flight, you'll need to pre-cast it while on the ground, but it will stay on when flying.
  • If you anticipate a really tough mob, or get in a pickle, you can pop Surge of Power, Rune of Protection, or Cinders to save the day. Rune doubles as a Break-free when needed. Beware the end crash on surge. 
  • At low levels/exemping you can actually just spam Gale constantly to keep the enemy down when needed.

Most controllers have a tough time keeping Imps and Epic pets alive. However, the mayhem that storm can cause is well-suited to keeping them on their feet! 

Some folks like Thunder Clap to stack with Flashfire. However, this is a huge animation commitment, and I don't find it worth the animation time, endurance, and power pick. It looks pretty at least. Once you get your tools rolling, you'll be very safe regardless.

Fire/Storm is a very end hungry build, and one that requires constant aggression. Your bonfire, FR, LS, and nado are all knocking things down constantly, keeping you very safe. Even if you aren't using Hurricane as a primary defense tool, you can break it out to fly around and kiss everything when needed, which will floor the hit chance of most mobs. The unique -range component also helps them prefer to clump and chase you instead of taking potshots.

Note that I didn't put -KB in LS. Instead, use positioning to your advantage. When wanting KD, pop LS above the mob. Other times, you might prefer to cast it behind the mob to jockey strays back towards you, or cast it in front of you to keep them out of your face. It's very flexible.

If you get into incarnates, Musculature Radial is ideal, as you make good use of every component.

Edited by Onlyasandwich
  • Thumbs Up 1