Slotting for Frigid Protection?

Story Archer

So I'm working on my Fire/Cold/Fire build and I'm trying to decide the best way of slotting up Frigid Protection - 30' is a big aura to take advantage of. Initially I was just going to go with an EndMod and the Chance to Stun from Energy Manipulator and use the slots elsewhere, but now I'm wondering if trying to proc it out might be the better way to go.

Something like this:

Frigid Protection

• Impeded Swiftness - Chance for Smashing damage
  • Ice Mistral's Torment - Chance for Cold damage
  • Touch of the Nictus - Chance for Energy damage
  • Energy Manipulator - Chance to Stun

And possibly even

• Theft of Essence - Chance for +Endurance
  • Performance Shifter - Chance for +Endurance

Am I putting too much attention on this power or is it something that I REALLY need to be taking advantage of? How have you guys slotted it, and how high of a priority should I be placing on it - say, over slotting Bonfire? TIA.

Edited by Story Archer

1 minute ago, SeraphimKensai said:

A 30-foot radius toggle has a 13.33% chance for a 3.5ppm proc to fire. Energy Manipulator is a 2ppm proc so it has a 7.62% chance to fire.

lol - I'm not entirely sure if this is an endorsement or a warning... are wider toggles poorer options for procs?

15 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The radius of an AoE effects the proc rate.

I would suggest not proc slotting this power, but it's ultimately up to you as you might like that RoI.

Gotcha. Good advice, thanks.

How have people slotted this in the past - with anything at all? (asking whoever might be reading)

For the toggle regen/recovery powers, I almost always slot them either Preemptive Optimization (3.75% Ranged Def, 3.75% recharge) or Numina's Convalescence (3.75% Ranged Def, saves me a slot where I'd otherwise put the proc).

I'm rarely concerned with augmenting Slow. It's nice enough when it helps, but it is so heavily resisted in any sort of difficult content that you might as well not even have bothered. Unless I'm getting a benefit like Ice Mistral's Torment, it's just not worth it.

Depends how you play, but the absorb is very helpful, the recovery might be helpful if you play/slot aggressive and the slow might be helpful.

FWIW it will slow the movement of a +3 by about 45%, which is noticable, but probably not hugely  effective. Slotting it can get them close the movement debuff cap, which can be very useful. 

Depending on how you play that might be valuable. For instance a hover blaster might not care, but a melee centric blaster would probably enjoy mobs closing on them much more slowly while they aoe them down. 

Putting mobs at the -movement cap will greatly improve the performance of rain of fire, but keep in mind rof has some -movement of it's own which can help when you overlap the two powers.

I've never really bothered slotting any of the slow procs in it, I just treat it as a combination Health/Stamina and let the +Slow from Radial Intuition cap out the slowing effect. I have Power Transfer End.Mod + Chance to Heal & Numina Heal + Regen/Recovery in it (Perf.Shifter End.Chance in Stamina, Panacea Heal + Chance for HP/End in Health).  I don't tend to have endurance issues, unless I'm boosting my recharge & casting only my Holds & Immobilize. (I'm also not going for the Numina 6-set bonus, so this may not work for you)

I don't think you can even slot a couple of those listed procs (IIRC there's no to-hit check, or at least, I can't recall it ever not affecting an enemy), and I don't know if the Chance to Stun from Energy Manipulator will even trigger - if anything, since the End.Mod is on you, not the enemies, you might be the one stunned (though, I think they put protections in against that, since a few people had done that with Stamina).