HELP! New laptop has huge ping when playing

• 2 months later

This is a few months late, but no, the problem still isn't solved.

I have learned a few things, however.  Windows 11, for example, doesn't exactly play nice with older games, especially older MMOs.  Another issue I've noticed is through Task Manager.  You can set priorities for each application, and the exe file for CoX always comes up as running Below Normal.  I then tried launching CoX and opening the task manager and setting the priority to Normal, but it just automatically goes back to Below Normal.

18 minutes ago, Flintlock Burnfur said:

This is a few months late, but no, the problem still isn't solved.

I have learned a few things, however.  Windows 11, for example, doesn't exactly play nice with older games, especially older MMOs.  Another issue I've noticed is through Task Manager.  You can set priorities for each application, and the exe file for CoX always comes up as running Below Normal.  I then tried launching CoX and opening the task manager and setting the priority to Normal, but it just automatically goes back to Below Normal.

In the game, type /priorityboost 1 .

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Regarding the priority, is it possible that while you are looking at the Task Manager you get Below Normal because CoH is then in the background? The Task Manager would be in the foreground.  I don’t know how to check priority while a program is running in the foreground unfortunately.

Ping is a measure of NETWORK performance.
Not CPU performance.
Fiddling CPU priority does exactly what goggles do.

The GM's previous advice aside.

Basically anything running Integrated Intel graphics is going to be "meh" at best.

Yes, NIC performance CAN be brought down by bad CPU, but that's HIGHLY ABNORMAL.

It's just as likely that Win11 (which I don't have a high opinion of) could be a culprit.

Try TEMPORARILY turning off the WIndows (and any antivius-specific) firewalls and see if changes anything.

Also, are you playing via wired network?
Or through wifi?

Edited by Hyperstrike

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

The crux of the problem is why does CoX run with such garbage ping when Guild Wars 2, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and ESO run with a ping of less than 100, but CoX is running at 150 then skyrockets to 700-800.  What's different about the network connections of those games compared to the network connection that CoX is on?

3 hours ago, Flintlock Burnfur said:

The crux of the problem is why does CoX run with such garbage ping when Guild Wars 2, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and ESO run with a ping of less than 100, but CoX is running at 150 then skyrockets to 700-800.  What's different about the network connections of those games compared to the network connection that CoX is on?

Unfortunately it's not something I can definitively diagnose without access to the machine.

Until then, the very best I can do is pull SWAGs from dark places that smell of feces...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

10 hours ago, Flintlock Burnfur said:

Last month I replaced my router and before that was having some bad network issues that while I found evidence with other programs, CoX was the worst.  I suspect it's more sensitive to network problems.

In our experience thus far yes you can try running 32-bit apps on win 11, but it will have little too no effect problem solving

Get a different router first borrow one cant assume sunshine yesterday sunshine today when it comes to routers- how many times this has been the issue for customers many many 

failing that establishing router integrity some more advanced configs for you to work through - take your time with it there's a lot here. see how you go. Hopefully some value here for all win11 users with issues, if asked personally why not boot camp it and install mac dual boot win OEM

if you aren't having any luck send [email protected] for assistance 30 years experience feels like day 1 every day......

1-Auto HDR is an algorithmic tool designed to turn on the high dynamic range in win11 

2-DirectStorage that allows loading the game’s assets directly to GPU (graphics card) rather than CPU. This won’t bring any impact to the processor and prevents the CPU from being bogged down. This means that you can load your games at lightning speed.

Auto HDR tweak try.

Step 1: Click the search icon, type in regedit, and click Registry Editor to open this app.

Step 2: Go to this path – Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore.

Step 3: In the right-hand pane, double-click on the GameDVR_Enabled key, set Base to Hexadecimal, and value data to 0. Save the change.

Step 4: Double-click on GameDVR_FSEBehaviourMode and set Base to Hexadecimal and its value data to 2.

Step 5: Go to another path –. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\ApplicationManagement\AllowGameDVR

Step 6: Double-click on the value key from the right side, set Base to Hexadecimal, and its value data to 0.

most important forget about trying to run 32bit win11 without enabling 32 bit app option in internet information services manager.

Follow this guide here. https://windowsreport.com/run-32-bit-programs-64-bit-windows-11/

Finally How to fix high ping in games in windows 11 this will take some time before you begin recommend backing up there's alot of steps here and you must be 100% accurate in following the guide. 

https://appuals.com/high-ping-games-windows-11/

Edited by Gibbler

• 4 weeks later

Well, after all this, I have finally discovered the actual problem.

Nothing to do with Windows 11.

Nothing to do with ASUS at all.

Nothing to do with the router.

It's completely and totally with my ISP.

I'm with SaskTel (which, if familiar, should give an idea where I'm located).  SaskTel has 3 levels of internet packages.  I'm on Internet 5, which means 5 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload.  I needed to swap to Internet 10 or Internet 25 (which is the one I swapped out to).  So it was more that the package I was on was not good enough for online gaming.

• Thumbs Up 1