Rapid I Movement - my new arc!

Clave Dark 5

Very oddball writing, probably not for everyone. 

I think it's "playable" enough?  I don't have a crew to test it with as a group, but solo especially at less insane-o difficulty settings I did pretty well.  As stated, you won't actually have to fight any GMs although a few do show up in non-combat roles.

RAPID.jpg

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

3 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Very oddball writing, probably not for everyone. 

I think it's "playable" enough?  I don't have a crew to test it with as a group, but solo especially at less insane-o difficulty settings I did pretty well.  As stated, you won't actually have to fight any GMs although a few do show up in non-combat roles.

RAPID.jpg

I'll give it a run soon!

~Paws

• Thanks 1

Thoughts below:

Spoiler

A very fun, quirky storyline with a lot of clever vocabulary uses. 

The font was a bit hard to read for me, but I'm old and need new glasses.

Two of the missions ended a bit abruptly, and wasn't expecting that. I can't call it a flaw, but it caught me off guard. If it serves the story, roger dodger.

Eoachai as a contact in-mish was cool AF.

Other than the font, my only suggestion would be a bit more connective tissue in the narrative. I dig on the fairytale aspect of it, but I would like to see more clarity on why I'm doing what I'm doing, and some of the NPC's intentions.

All in all, 4out of 5.

~Paws

• Thanks 1

Curious to know which two you thought ended abruptly.  I have my ideas but don't want to name them for spoiling them ha ha.  If it's the ones I suspect, yeah, they were meant to be short, partly to help the whole thing go by quickly.

• Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 8/10/2023 at 10:18 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Curious to know which two you thought ended abruptly.  I have my ideas but don't want to name them for spoiling them ha ha.  If it's the ones I suspect, yeah, they were meant to be short, partly to help the whole thing go by quickly.

Spoiler

The last one and I believe the third one. and it struck me as being for the reasons you mention. Or i just got lucky and stumbled onto thee objective right off. BTW: from what I can tell I think my idea of what constitutes a "Long" mission/arc is different from others. I am willing to put the time into a good series of missions, especially where intriguing content like yours is present. If an arc takes an hour or longer, I'm fine with it as long as its good. I'll try to read all the clues and info I can.

~Paws

• Thumbs Up 1

Those two you mention are indeed meant to be pretty short.  My general design philosophy is not to stretch stuff out needlessly, which often means I'd go for whatever "tiny" map I could find and try to not clutter it up much with unneeded spawn, and the leg of the story those two tell is organically (to me anyway) pretty short.  But that's me and might tastes, I can see how it might otherwise come across as jarringly short or something.  Again, thanks for your input, I've been considering a few tweaks based upon it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Go have fun!

19 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Those two you mention are indeed meant to be pretty short.  My general design philosophy is not to stretch stuff out needlessly, which often means I'd go for whatever "tiny" map I could find and try to not clutter it up much with unneeded spawn, and the leg of the story those two tell is organically (to me anyway) pretty short.  But that's me and might tastes, I can see how it might otherwise come across as jarringly short or something.  Again, thanks for your input, I've been considering a few tweaks based upon it.

Glad to help. I've gotten a lot of support here for my arcs, so I'm happy to return the favor.

• Like 1

Same.  I plan to start doing more arcs as my chances to team seem to be evaporating, so name me one of your arcs and I'll run it.

Go have fun!

Giving it a run with the KR Devil. Do I expect Art House Goodness? Of course, I do, you quirky bastard.:-)

Spoiler
  • Right off the bat, I like the contact.
  • Weird shit with text (titles and such). See? I knew what I was getting.
  • KR Devil does NOT rhyme with orange. (DOES it? I'm unsure now)
  • Actual note: Not sure if you want to put new writeups on the renamed lost, but it's worth considering. I mean, I know they're repurposed, but still...
  • Ah...I see the text on the actual custom customs explains these are repurposed lost. Nice fix, you lazy son of a gun.:-)
  • Still having fun with animations, I see (jackhammering minions...hehe).
  • And...I just shot up a latrine.:-)
  • Either this is full of references I just don't know, or you've created the AE version of Jabberwocky.
  • A thousand points for mentioning Saran Wrap.

No need for tweaks or anything. As with the previous run through the sound experience, I can only say you've got a really weird form of genius for this sort of thing. I do think folks who run it probably will not come out with "no opinion." For me, it's still an art film, like...you just have to let it wash over you, man...

As always, technically well done. I did not like map #2, 'cause it's so damned big. BUT...it ran fast, since I beelined toward what didn't look like the rest. Signals are there, if the player pays attention. Some of the verbiage strikes me as a cross between Lewis Carroll/Anthony Burgess meets Ginsberg's Howl. It also could be a really cleverly disguised farm.:-)

Or maybe it's Milton meets Eminem. Hard to say...:-)

Not a spoiler here, but this was funny:

image.png.28ee45379bdeb9cd92dbc10314cebc18.png

Talk about putting someone through a wall...

And then THIS:

image.png.5af51c2590c85bb49decada7b00f6624.png

You're good, Dave, but you DID not arrange for them to light in trees! (did you? how?)

FYI: You're encouraged to switch costumes before the finale, so I did. I only have one alt costume for the Devil, so:

image.png.d7776394a477e428bd1696d905bce700.png

Where da soiree, yo!

I'm only gonna mention here in the non-hidden area one thing I shared in the spoiler notes - it's the AE version of Jabberwocky. You know what it's about (you think...you're pretty sure...or do you? [yes, you do]). It's another sense experiment like DC5's Symphony arc, but the sound focus is language this time. Thing about this is that, whether you dig this sorta thing or not, it shows the range of what you can do with AE. We have lore rich stories, technically brilliant expositions, high art, and everything in between. It boggles me, man, the creativity people show. Anyhoo, worth a run, if only because there's just nothing else like it (except for the other DC5 stuff, natch).:-)

P.S. 10 million points for dropping in a "'Nuff said.":-)

Edited by cranebump
  • Thanks 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

15 hours ago, cranebump said:
  Hide contents

image.png.5af51c2590c85bb49decada7b00f6624.png

Thanks for the play and the kind words! 

I agree about that second map being ginormous, but I like how it shrinks down for the fourth map... 

I didn't arrange for them to light the trees as you show up there, but might as well have (so yes, I'll take credit for that ha ha): having run through parts of this story a billion times, I've discovered that wandering Patrol-set spawn tend to pile up on trees for some reason, and the longer you're on the map, the more likely it is to happen (probably because of all that wandering, it ups the odds to hit a tree).  Now I want to do a Christmas arc with Christmas lights foes to light up trees...

(Also, should you want to look up other things I've posted, some I have up right now are "early works" that I made back on Live, and are much more "traditional," so don't go in expecting the same sorts of fireworks.  I think they still had their points, but they're in a different lane.)

Go have fun!

On 8/14/2023 at 9:18 PM, Clave Dark 5 said:

Same.  I plan to start doing more arcs as my chances to team seem to be evaporating, so name me one of your arcs and I'll run it.

the Grave and the Old, Lojac's Brainare two arcs bundled under The Atlas Chronicles.

• Like 1

image.png.0229b3dd306f40465348ba00ddbe2799.png 

🙂

On 8/16/2023 at 10:51 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

(Also, should you want to look up other things I've posted, some I have up right now are "early works" that I made back on Live, and are much more "traditional," so don't go in expecting the same sorts of fireworks.  I think they still had their points, but they're in a different lane.)

I think I may remember some of those 🙂

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Haha 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc