Defendable object

Ultimo

So, I'm working on the 4th mission in my story arc, but I'm having a couple of problems.

The idea is, the map should be EMPTY except for a couple of allied I've provided.  You go to the back of the map, where you will talk to the last ally (Citadel).

When you talk to Citadel, it's supposed to spawn a defendable computer.  The idea is that the enemy are supposed to come in and try to destroy it, but you're there to try and prevent them.  This presents the first problem, the defendable object isn't THERE until you talk to Citadel, so you don't know WHERE it is, to defend it.  The second problem is that it spawns enemies all around it, the moment it spawns.  They never try to get to it, and never really try to destroy it, they're just kind of standing there until you arrive.

This brings me to the next issue, that enemies that are supposed to spawn once this objective is complete aren't spawning properly.  There are supposed to be 10 patrols and 2 bosses that spawn, but I've seen maybe 5 patrols, and the bosses NEVER spawn.

Finally, the next thing is that the mission is marked COMPLETED once you defend the object.  You still have to get to the entrance to escape, but I'm thinking perhaps the fact the mission is completed is preventing the spawning of the patrols and bosses.  Is there a way to make it an objective to get to the exit?

Help!

(I'm going to try having everything spawn when you talk to Citadel, see if that works)

To set Objective to "get to the exit," go the main mish settings screen and look for the verbiage where it says "Players exit normally..." Change it to the other choice ("Find Mission Exit..." Iirc).

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I've had similar issues with defendable objects in the past, so I don't use them as mission objectives anymore. I DO use them as window dressing at times. If you continue to have spawn issues when using defend, you can instead change it to a normal glowie and make the objective Secure the database or something like that. Place the glowie in the area you want it to appear, along with patrols in same area. Then spawn an ambush to simulate them trying to get to the DB. Or have an ambush after the Cit contact to simulate the same effect. They'll chase the player right to the computer. End result: the player then has to go through patrols and bosses to get to the computer (along with an ambush), simulating its importance without dealing with the spawn headache.. After that, assuming the goal is to secure and retrograde, the bosses could be listed as optional, or just left as possible impediments. If the map allows a boss at the front, I'd place one there, esp. if it has a discernible chokepoint (hallway, for example).

Another possible fix is cutting back on the #/patrols, bosses, until the thing works.:-)

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 10/3/2023 at 4:46 PM, Ultimo said:

This brings me to the next issue, that enemies that are supposed to spawn once this objective is complete aren't spawning properly.  There are supposed to be 10 patrols and 2 bosses that spawn, but I've seen maybe 5 patrols, and the bosses NEVER spawn.

My best guess with what little we've been told is that you're putting in more things than the map allows for, especially as defendable objects spawn ambush waves which can eat up your slots without really telling you. Check the information right above the map on your mission editing window, see what it says.

Your problem with the defendable object not being attacked isn't really a problem, that's how they work. It won't be attacked until you've triggered the guards surrounding it, at which point more of them run in trying to destroy it. If it was just under attack the moment it spawned, it would probably be destroyed without the players ever seeing it, and you'd get a lot of angry comments from people telling you to Defeat yourself.

It's not perfect, but this is an old game and the AE is a house of weirdly-shaped cards that don't always obey the laws of physics as we understand them.

Edited by Defeat All Snakes
  • Like 1
UPS1xkf.png

What I ended up doing was making it a collectible.  You go to meet Citadel in the mission, then go to the computer and activate it, which initiates an ambush.

I had hoped to have several ambushes come in at once, because the premise of the mission is that the enemy is invading the players' base of operations.  The reasoning is a little complicated, but the idea was to have the player gather several other heroes together before meeting with Citadel, which would activate the collectible.  Interacting with IT would start the ambushes... but because you're going to have Citadel and several other superheroes, I had hoped to make the ambush be as large as possible, so it would still be SOME kind of challenge.  I mean, 4 minions and a lieutenant is no challenge at all to Citadel, the player and 5 other elite bosses.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me attach more than one ambush to the collectible.

It's the 4th mission in my new AE arc, which I published tonight (The Brass Men), if you want to try it out and see what I mean.

The original idea for the goal was supposed to be that the player would gather his allies, fend off a HUGE number of enemies, then fight their way out of the base through another huge number of enemies.  Unfortunately, I can't get huge numbers of enemies to spawn, no matter what I do.  It's a little maddening, I'm still considering alternatives to how I have it set up presently.

In lieu of huge mobs, you can achieve a similar effect by choosing maps that dump objectives on top of or near each other, so that player might have overlapping mobs, or patrols flowing through mobs. There's a couple of warehouse maps that lack the really big chambers that are like this. They can get cramped and deadly REALLY quick, esp if ambushes drop in. The entire area can be full of them.

10 hours ago, Ultimo said:

What I ended up doing was making it a collectible.  You go to meet Citadel in the mission, then go to the computer and activate it, which initiates an ambush.

I had hoped to have several ambushes come in at once, because the premise of the mission is that the enemy is invading the players' base of operations.  The reasoning is a little complicated, but the idea was to have the player gather several other heroes together before meeting with Citadel, which would activate the collectible.  Interacting with IT would start the ambushes... but because you're going to have Citadel and several other superheroes, I had hoped to make the ambush be as large as possible, so it would still be SOME kind of challenge.  I mean, 4 minions and a lieutenant is no challenge at all to Citadel, the player and 5 other elite bosses.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't let me attach more than one ambush to the collectible.

It's the 4th mission in my new AE arc, which I published tonight (The Brass Men), if you want to try it out and see what I mean.

The original idea for the goal was supposed to be that the player would gather his allies, fend off a HUGE number of enemies, then fight their way out of the base through another huge number of enemies.  Unfortunately, I can't get huge numbers of enemies to spawn, no matter what I do.  It's a little maddening, I'm still considering alternatives to how I have it set up presently.

Depending on the map, you could potentially have a boss spawn on/near the glowie that you collect.  They'll stand still until aggro'd, but if in a small room, they'll auto-aggro upon spawning as if it were an ambush.  THEN, you could set up more ambushes at boss' 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 health - maybe at defeat too.