Badge Names Are Dim/Hard To Read

St Anger

Let me preface this by saying that I got a brand-new HP laptop recently. So that may be the reason for this, but I don't see why a new laptop would make this happen. I've included a screenshot of my badge list with my mouse arrow hovering over the Penelope Yin TF badge (the one with a III on it that's titled "Penelope Yin's Friend") to show what I'm seeing. When I hover over a badge to see it's name, the names of all of the badges are now transparent, dim, hard to read, etc. I assume I'm the only one seeing this and it's because of my new laptop but I had to post and see if there's a way to fix it. And I wanted to make sure, in case it wasn't just me and it is indeed a bug. Anyone know why this is happening?

COH Badge Name Dim.jpg

Edited by St Anger

Mine don't look as faded.  Do all of them look like that, or just the ones that are right above those blue bar badges.  I am noticing that my cheaper monitor shows less contrast than the monitor that I have calibrated for photo editing.  So that's another idea.

• 2 months later
Posted (edited)
On 10/19/2023 at 4:08 PM, lemming said:

Mine don't look as faded.  Do all of them look like that, or just the ones that are right above those blue bar badges.  I am noticing that my cheaper monitor shows less contrast than the monitor that I have calibrated for photo editing.  So that's another idea.

Sorry for the late reply. It's happening to all the badges. I have messed with the graphic settings, set things higher, etc. Nothing has worked. I still don't know why this is happening. Here's another screenshot of my badges with my mouse over the first badge on the top left (the Gamer badge in AE). It wasn't like this on my older laptop but it's happening here on this new, better quality laptop lol. Go figure. So, I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.efa7fa37026463614ef06544aca89e91.png

Edited by St Anger
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, St Anger said:

Sorry for the late reply. It's happening to all the badges. I have messed with the graphic settings, set things higher, etc. Nothing has worked. I still don't know why this is happening. Here's another screenshot of my badges with my mouse over the first badge on the top left (the Gamer badge in AE). It wasn't like this on my older laptop but it's happening here on this new, better quality laptop lol. Go figure. So, I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

image.thumb.png.efa7fa37026463614ef06544aca89e91.png

I don't have that problem. The badge names when I do that are the same color, except much, much brighter. If you've tried everything else in the game, it's probably the new laptop. Try another game that may have something similar in the way of displays and see if it is also faded out/dim. If so, check the owner manual or call tech support to see if there is a setting on the laptop to fix it.

I've also experienced this issue. It doesn't happen with other games or programs, it is a City of Heroes thing, and has been a thing on both of the computers I've played the game on since Homecoming started. No idea what causes it.

• Like 1

image.png.1a8e897cff6ec820563037ea1b404cec.png

Here's a followup screenshot to show the similar issue.

My UI scale is at 116%, and turning it down to 100% did "solve" the issue, though the game is unpleasant to play with the UI at that size, so I set it back to my preferred size.

I'd be happy to check the "two line badge name" theory, but I can't find any that are long enough to break into two lines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fade said:

My UI scale is at 116%, and turning it down to 100% did "solve" the issue

I don't get it. After reading your post, I logged in and changed my UI scaling as well. Even at 185%, it didn't change the readability of the badge names. (Edit: Well, that isn't technically true. Everything became so over-sized, it was hard to read anything because everything overlapped each other. The brightness of the badge names didn't noticeably dim on my screen though. Were you using the same monitor on those two computers by chance?)

Edit again: Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!! It IS the UI scaling. Get off 116%. Go bigger or go smaller. Around 116% for some reason, the badge names dim. The names are dim between 101-145%. (Yes, that needs to be fixed, I agree. Just trying to give a means of dealing with it until then.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later
On 1/4/2024 at 8:41 PM, Rudra said:

I don't get it. After reading your post, I logged in and changed my UI scaling as well. Even at 185%, it didn't change the readability of the badge names. (Edit: Well, that isn't technically true. Everything became so over-sized, it was hard to read anything because everything overlapped each other. The brightness of the badge names didn't noticeably dim on my screen though. Were you using the same monitor on those two computers by chance?)

Edit again: Ding ding ding ding ding!!!!! It IS the UI scaling. Get off 116%. Go bigger or go smaller. Around 116% for some reason, the badge names dim. The names are dim between 101-145%. (Yes, that needs to be fixed, I agree. Just trying to give a means of dealing with it until then.)

Thanx for pointing that out. I changed the UI size and it did make the names show up properly but like @Fade said, I can't play it at that size lol. Makes the whole game annoying instead of just the badge list. So, until they fix it I'll just have to deal with it. Thanx again!

• Thumbs Up 1