The Clockwork

gonkeh

After the success of the invention table I've been starting to work on an artistic impression of a classic Clockwork mob which willbe fully articulated and 3d printable with a few additiona bits of hardware.

While investigating this concept and taking many screenshots of the various clockwork mobs i realise that while they are all pretty similar, they are hung on different skeleton geometry and have subtely different parts - pieces resized in game and some unique parts or different scaling. example: the duke model has large forearms, but babbage has large hands and small forearms.

With this revelation i had to choose which clockwork would be best to try and build as a "base" so that the additional unique parts could be printed out to get a Babbage, or clockwork king, or tesla knight etc. I also had to try and take into account the different clearences around hte model joints and general poses, this all means that its definitely going to be a "inspired by" rather than an exact replica of any specific mob.

The model is about halfway modelled so far with the legs and pelvis being printed and tested.

PXL_20231127_085230451.thumb.jpg.d94e9ca2dbba27575d334190d9b9313e.jpg
image.thumb.png.cfa043d542ed2763023fde415d2c7b02.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later

So prototype 1 was completed up to the arms and it became painfully obvious that the legs were not strong enough in the ball socket joints to hold up the full model, especially as the arms would basically double the wieght of the whole Tesla duke and it's all be up top. so a rethink on the joints was in order.

Having cruised some other ball joint solutions in the 3d printing space i found one htat fit the bill and i began on prototype 2 - and having printed just the legs so far, it is so so much more stable than version 1, so i'm not looking at colours, I have 2 real options, 1st print colour only by using some suitable colours, or option 2 - paint it.

I've not painted anything past primer (I made a 30cm Josef from Machinarium a while ago, but he was supposed to be grey already so i got away with it) so have no idea if i'm any good at it or not, i suspect not 😄

I kinda know painting is the best option, but i'm quite afraid to ruin it by botching the last job. anyway some pictures of progress...

PXL_20231128_210826317.jpg

• Like 2

Cilck Clacks are fun!

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

Once i've finished editing together the build videos I'll be linking them to the model parts up on printables, and I'm entering it into a competition, i doubt it'll win as theres some good stuff out there, but this has been one of the most fun and challenging 3d print projects i've done and it's fab having some more CoH niknaks round the house 🙂

but yep - the plan is to create some addon parts to convert the duke into babbage, clockwork king, paladin, tesla knight and the little oscilators as well if i get that far.

i might have a short break for a bit before going back into the clockwork rabbit hole again though 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later

That's really quite good!

I wasn't prepared for the multiple colors, since in-game Clockwork are pretty much a uniform brass color, but as they are junk scavengers, the multi-colored approach makes better sense.