Greetings. Never played before

Sume

If you want to mix blasting with stealth, as ppl have said, there are many options among Blasters, Corruptors, Defenders, Stalkers, etc.

I've currently having a blast with my Dark/Ninjitsu blaster, but you might try Archery/Devices, to keep it a bit more natural/real ;).

Devices and Ninjitsu are the only blaster secondaries that provide stealth, the other ATs have a few more.

Btw, in order to get a jump-start on the influence grind, it's really quick & easy to get a free jump pack from the P2W vendor (left side of Atlas City status where you start. Also, get all the other free stuff from the P2W vendor that looks good - in particular I would stack 8 hours of double XP, prestige movement skills, any pet you like the look of, all the free ranged and melee powers (like Nemesis Staff and Blackwand - these are invaluable early on). When you have some cash (see below), you can also stack the cheap offense/defense/survival buffs at only 1K Inf each. I usually go with Inner Inspiration for the prestige utility, as that tops up my Inspirations (temp buffs) when I run out of candy.

Then go get the 8 exploration badges in a couple minutes: https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/CoH_Exploration_Badges#Atlas_Park

You get 5 merits from them in no time (along with Fast Travel/Teleporter!), which you can convert to 15 Enhancement Converters inside City Hall, to the left at the merit terminal.

Those sell on the auction house (just type /ah in chat) for 60-70K inf each, which will give you a very nice head start with a cool million, through to level 20 at least.

At level 4 I would almost always get a super travel power: Fly (my favourite), Super Speed, Super Jump or Teleport. These days I mostly go for Mystic Flight in Sorcery, as that's a 2-in-1 flight and teleport which is really nice. Enjoy!!!

Game over man, game over!

11 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Also, Vidiotmaps is your friend:

What is this?  I need to check it out.  I like the new experience and still trying to understand the way the action bars and keybinds work though.  As I like to try and keep similar layout of keybinds and action bars on games that do allow me to redo the UI some what.

VMaps is sort of an overlay type of add-on that puts useful icons on your mini-map, like the locations of badges (Even if you're not a badge-collector, you can use badge names as character titles, which is fun. My white-winged tank is wearing "Guardian Angel", for instance-) and what goons of what level spawn in particular neighborhoods. It's a useful mod to install.

• Like 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

That really appears to be very helpful.  I am enjoying being able to explore with a fresh take also.  I mean I clearly see graphics are way outdated, but I have a fondness for a lot of older games I missed being sucked into WoW while battling depression and physical illness.  

Don't be afraid to tinker around with your graphics settings under the Options menu in-game. Turn on Ultra Mode if you haven't, and play with the shadows, the water and the model detail settings. The game will never look like a "modern" one, but it's aged pretty well with the settings cranked up.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

6 hours ago, Sume said:

What is this?  I need to check it out.  I like the new experience and still trying to understand the way the action bars and keybinds work though.  As I like to try and keep similar layout of keybinds and action bars on games that do allow me to redo the UI some what.

Grab the CoHModdingTool here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/21539-coh-modder/

You can then install any mods you like the look of. VidiotMaps is almost mandatory if you like exploration and want to get all the badges and achievements ;).

4 hours ago, Sume said:

That really appears to be very helpful.  I am enjoying being able to explore with a fresh take also.  I mean I clearly see graphics are way outdated, but I have a fondness for a lot of older games I missed being sucked into WoW while battling depression and physical illness.  

WoW will do that to you matey. City of Heroes is the only known cure! ;)

On 1/6/2024 at 1:40 AM, Sume said:

Now I don't know where to start.  I like to play stealthily characters, stealth archers, melee stuff and I generally actually like to tank stuff. I did try to look at archetypes and quickly got lost.

Well, the most stealthy would be stalkers ( https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Stalker ), but any character can get the https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Concealment powerpool.

A bunch of archetypes let you get https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Ninja_Training or https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Ninjitsu which have a stealth power as part of the set.

I'm an alt-jumper, so my advice isn't good for everyone.

I suggest making several characters and then playing them as you feel like checking them out. (If one gets boring, go to another one. Get a feeling to play a certain kind of character, then play the character you made to fit that)

So make one of a couple of different archetypes and see how they play.

you can make 1000 characters per server ... per account .... so it isn't like making a bunch of character is really an issue.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Oh wow.  I am not used to that many character slots.  For the moment I would like a small amount.  The more I have the less idea of what I like to do.  I been slowly exploring around though.  Learning the interface has been going slow.  I am sure I'll get used to it.  I picked up sorcery as a secondary power as someone suggested and I find it fun so far.  Granted I am only currently level 5.

The gameplay can definitely feel significantly slow and janky, especially at lower levels, but once you get used to it you come to appreciate the sheer variety of options you have for taking on enemies. like, actually effective Crowd control, even able to mind control groups into killing each other (although you get less xp that way if I recall)

12 hours ago, Sume said:

Learning the interface has been going slow.  I am sure I'll get used to it.

It definitely has a lot of corners and hidden spots to sort through.  You may have already found them, but I'll point out two:

1) The plus sign & arrow to the right of the word "Recipes":  with the arrow you can expand to 3 trays (use the arrows by the tray's number to sort through trays), and with the plus sign you can add even more trays.  They'll appear at the top left.  Right click on them if you want to change their shape, then drag into position.

2) Click on the word "Powers" then go to the top of the pop-up and click on Combat Attributes.  There's a wealth of information to sort through there.  Find something you'd like to see always?  Right click and select "monitor".  The game will drop a tiny window in the center of the screen which you can drag around.  Additional selections will add to the window.  I personally find I like to monitor my Influence (currency), Threat Level, and Level Shift, all found under "Base".

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

I am still learning as I play.  I quickly found out Dark Melee and Dark Armor is big on endurance.  Currently got to level 24.  I think I finally managed to get ahead of that.  As I understand the enchantments, I think.  Uncertain if I have too low of damage but I am sure that will come along.  As I do plan to take, I think its called Leadership, that way I can increase damage. accuracy and defense.  I been too busy taking the Dark powers though.  Since they seem way better as they come up.  

22 minutes ago, Sume said:

I am still learning as I play.  I quickly found out Dark Melee and Dark Armor is big on endurance.  Currently got to level 24.  I think I finally managed to get ahead of that.  As I understand the enchantments, I think.  Uncertain if I have too low of damage but I am sure that will come along.  As I do plan to take, I think its called Leadership, that way I can increase damage. accuracy and defense.  I been too busy taking the Dark powers though.  Since they seem way better as they come up.  

You can slot your most endurance-draining powers with Enhancement that reduce their endurance cost, and later on you can also use special Enhancements that have extra bonuses, like giving you extra endurance, increasing endurance regen and so forth.

You can also put an Enhancement that improves endurance gain in your "Stamina" slot for now if End is too much of a problem.

Also, use those Blue Inspirations during battles 🙂

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KITANYA said:

You can slot your most endurance-draining powers with Enhancement that reduce their endurance cost, and later on you can also use special Enhancements that have extra bonuses, like giving you extra endurance, increasing endurance regen and so forth.

You can also put an Enhancement that improves endurance gain in your "Stamina" slot for now if End is too much of a problem.

Also, use those Blue Inspirations during battles 🙂

I found those fairly early.  Also, someone helped me out and let me know about the better enchantments.  I was using the really cheap ones.  Still run into endurance issues but it's far less than what I had first experienced.  I say a lot of charm to this game so far.  

1 minute ago, Sume said:

I found those fairly early.  Also, someone helped me out and let me know about the better enchantments.  I was using the really cheap ones.  Still run into endurance issues but it's far less than what I had first experienced.  I say a lot of charm to this game so far.  

Also, there are teammates with powers that can increase Endurance Recovery, Regeneration and such 🙂

Usually those Defender-types have those Supporty-stuffs, also something to help until you find Set-Enhancements 🙂

• Like 1