Dual Monitors

• Game Master

To "Pick" which monitor is active...

When running the game, you have a few options.  (Specifically Menu, Options, then the Graphics and Audio tab.  Look at the Resolution drop down list.)

Use Borderless Windowed, then pick between the top of the list between (Monitor 1) and (Monitor 2).  If you use Fullscreen mode, COH will only open on the Primary Monitor in Windows (the one you pick for the Start Button, App Icons, Clock and Recycle Bin to appear on.)

As Lemming said, use Windowed mode, then using the window handle, move it wherever you want to play.

If you're on Linux or Mac, try dragging HC Launcher to the monitor you want to use once it opens and keeping the mouse there when the game starts up.  Once on the login screen, you can hop displays again. (Wine quirk.  When starting the application, the focused monitor on startup opens it.)

Multiple Monitor Maximized
City of Heroes is designed to open only on one display, same as many Windows apps.  If you wanted the game to appear in both as one giant screen, you can.  I'd advise using at least an odd number of displays with one in the center.  (If you use two, you have a solid black bezel line in the middle of your screen that makes it hard to look at.  Three is better.)

https://www.makeuseof.com/maximize-window-multiple-monitors/

This article explains how to do it.  The feature is called different things to different companies:

Mosaic - Intel Display Manager

Eyefinity - AMD Radeon Adrenalin

Surround - NVidia GeForce settings

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Once you read the above mentioned articles,  and are more familiar with the options,  you can set what monitor CoH uses. I have three monitors,  and typically output to my center monitor so that I can have a web browser up on the right and Discord up on the left.

I find playing in Windowed mode (with the Windows frames) just takes me right out of the game. If you see a borderless setting with a specified monitor, it should display at the native resolution for that monitor.
image.thumb.png.8f2f6962512679db3ff483d6b0ded028.png

You can also designate either monitor as the primary monitor (on most systems). CoX opens by default, in fullscreen mode, on the primary monitor. The workaround to open windowed in a selected monitor is good if you don't want to change your primary for other apps and utilities.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

On 1/14/2024 at 3:37 PM, lemming said:

You probably will need to go to Options->Graphics and Audio->Screen/UI Resolution set to Windowed

Do you know what the highest resolution that is supported?  I am considering getting a large 4k tv on my wall and just curious how it might support this game.    Might not get that because I don't watch tv, but would use it for youtube and a couple of streaming channels.

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

9 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

Do you know what the highest resolution that is supported?  I am considering getting a large 4k tv on my wall and just curious how it might support this game.    Might not get that because I don't watch tv, but would use it for youtube and a couple of streaming channels.

I tend to run my main on a smaller monitor, but I have tried it at 3840x2160.   It works, but I tend to make a smaller window.  I think others might be able to elaborate better

• Thanks 1