Question about deleting character

Hey all,

Quick question about deleting a character. If I wanted to delete a character, how long would it take for the name to be available to use again? I was thinking about deleting my main character and starting fresh with him and was wondering if I'd be able to remake the character with the same name immediately, or if I'd have to wait some time before it became available again.

Thanks.

DO NOT DELETE.  Rename to "who gives a flying whatever" and then quickly make the next toon.  If especially paranoid about the name going away, make the new toon with random name X and then rename them both real quick.  

You do not need to delete, you may want that toon someday, diff concept.

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Also, when creating a character there is a circle at the base of the page that allows you to "reserve" that name while creating the character. That way you can make sure that the moment you start, you can ensure nobody namesquats you.

You may also find that as with the ability to rename your existing toon, you could create a character, costume and all, name it something like "rename me soon" and then go from renaming old to renaming new quickly. The process would be almost instantaneous.

• Like 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

18 hours ago, Snarky said:

If especially paranoid about the name going away, make the new toon with random name X and then rename them both real quick.

That's what I do when I am in do-over mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

19 hours ago, comatosed1 said:

Hey all,

Quick question about deleting a character. If I wanted to delete a character, how long would it take for the name to be available to use again? I was thinking about deleting my main character and starting fresh with him and was wondering if I'd be able to remake the character with the same name immediately, or if I'd have to wait some time before it became available again.

As an alt-jumper, I would suggest not deleting any character.

If I was going to do what you are suggesting, I would create the new character, get them into the open world, log out, go to the character select, rename your first character to something else, and then immediately rename the character you want to have that name. Then delete the character you don't want any more (though again, with 1000 slots per server, I don't know why anyone would want to do this. At the very least, use them as a mule.)

The name should be free almost instantaneously, and this is the fastest way to change the name and, hopefully, insure you keep it on your account.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.