Converting Inventions

One of the great things about this game is the ability to convert inventions, both within and without their set.

But I've never worked out which ones to convert. Some just seem to give endless dross, others seem to come up with exactly what I was looking for. How do I tell which is which? Seems so very difficult to tell.

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

I have only recently gone back to some IO converting, just to have a look at it again.

It certainly seems like some Enhancements just don't want to turn into anything high value.  And as you convert IOs over and over It always seems like you get odd streaks of returns to the same Set or even the same Io in a single set.

But I think it is all observer effect and it is more likely that conversions are pretty much totally random and it is due to the massive pattern finding capability of the human brain that we see odd things happening.

regards, Screwloose.

"I am not young enough to know everything."

Random when it comes to computer generated numbers doesn't exist, it all depends on how it is seeded. I find if I am having a streak of bad luck and getting the same conversion over and over again that if I just wait for a minute I get different results. Of course, that might be confirmation bias too.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

One of the great things about this game is the ability to convert inventions, both within and without their set.

But I've never worked out which ones to convert. Some just seem to give endless dross, others seem to come up with exactly what I was looking for. How do I tell which is which? Seems so very difficult to tell.

Buy the cheap rare recipes and convert those. Buy at specific breakpoints - level 20, 25, 30, etc. Because some of the valuable enhancements such as Miracle +Recovery don't show up after 40. The lower level recipes are also cheaper to craft and on the average use cheaper rare salvage.

You can convert uncommon recipes but the only ones that seem to sell are defense and resist sets.

The folks who do this seriously buy as many recipes, converters and their associated salvage as they can, log off that character and then check back after awhile. Patience can save you a huge amount.

I generally don't do that. I'm too impatient. I'll get a few cheap rare recipes, usually matching the rare salvage I have banked, use merits to buy converters and set aggressive prices to sell fast. I'm not maximizing potential profit, but I make enough to kit out any character as much as I want.

1 hour ago, Frostbiter said:

Of course, that might be confirmation bias too.

It is.  True Random Number Generators can generate streaks of similar numbers too.  In fact, they wouldn't be truly random if they couldn't.

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

It is.  True Random Number Generators can generate streaks of similar numbers too.  In fact, they wouldn't be truly random if they couldn't.

20144141249210337-2014-05TechnologueFp170.jpg.6fbc307a256f9227b5b7bccc2e60b885.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 2

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.