Newbie question if I may?

Hi all. Just found out that CoH is up and running again with the blessing of NCsoft and I decided to get into it. No issues making an account or logging in and playing but I do have one question which hopefully someone here can answer please? I noticed that my powers tray, (action bar?) has the numbers from left to right as 1 to 9 then 0 at the end underneath each power that I slot in them. What I'd like to know is if there is a way, either in game or by way of a mod that I might be able to change those numbers under the powers on the tray, to the actual keybind that I have that slot bound as? Example, Sprint is in slot 1 but my 'E' key activates it on my keyboard. Is there a way to have the 'E' key shown under the power or am I permanently stuck with the number 1 there? I hope this makes sense as I am terrible at remembering keybinds for slots and would love to be able to replace them with whatever keybind i have bound to that ability. Thanks for reading, any and all help appreciated. :)

• Like 2

Not sure if there is a way to change what you see in the tray.

Not what you are asking .... but

I used the in-game keymapping so powers in the tray line up with my Numpad 1-9/0. Then Alt+1-9/0 for tray 2, and Shift + 1-9/0 for tray 3

The keymapping is quite extensive and worth a look

OR

You may just have to remember and be consistent with how you put powers in your tray. 

They can be saved and uploaded for each character.

I have the same power layout(mostly) on all my characters. So I am not learning a new pattern for power access.

/e poofgone

If I'm understanding right, what the OP is asking is for the tray slot where OP has Sprint power icon to read "e" instead of, say, "7" (which is where I place it on my power tray) because the OP uses "e" to activate sprint.

You can't gat a power tray slot to actually be notated "e."  But you can almost get there. Sort of. Sideways. If you squint.

cohtraylayout.jpg.8e0241c19744162356db616e62451833.jpg

On all my tunes I use keys g, h, t, and c for misc. powers. I have tray 4 set vertically, with a non-functioning "nop" macro indicating the key (as a reminder) and beside it the actual power icon that is bound via slash command to that key. The power icon gives me the shrink/grow recharge visual cue.

Thus, for this ice blaster toon, g is Freeze Ray, h is Bitter Freeze Ray, t is Ice Storm, and h is Ice Patch. 

So, what you could do is create a nop macro "e", place it in tray, place the Sprint power icon next to it for visual cue, and bind the letter e to toggle sprint on/off. It's clunky and it uses two tray slots instead of one, but do I get the visual reminder of what key activates what and the recharge visual of the actual power icon.

Hope this helps.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

On 1/26/2024 at 9:44 PM, Badmethod68 said:

Hi all. Just found out that CoH is up and running again with the blessing of NCsoft and I decided to get into it. No issues making an account or logging in and playing but I do have one question which hopefully someone here can answer please? I noticed that my powers tray, (action bar?) has the numbers from left to right as 1 to 9 then 0 at the end underneath each power that I slot in them. What I'd like to know is if there is a way, either in game or by way of a mod that I might be able to change those numbers under the powers on the tray, to the actual keybind that I have that slot bound as? Example, Sprint is in slot 1 but my 'E' key activates it on my keyboard. Is there a way to have the 'E' key shown under the power or am I permanently stuck with the number 1 there? I hope this makes sense as I am terrible at remembering keybinds for slots and would love to be able to replace them with whatever keybind i have bound to that ability. Thanks for reading, any and all help appreciated. 🙂

Those indicate the slot, not the key bind (it's not an overlay), but is the reference item for the keybinding assignment. Interesting UX idea though...

On 1/26/2024 at 9:44 PM, Badmethod68 said:

Sprint is in slot 1 but my 'E' key activates it on my keyboard. Is there a way to have the 'E' key shown under the power or am I permanently stuck with the number 1 there? I hope this makes sense as I am terrible at remembering keybinds for slots and would love to be able to replace them with whatever keybind i have bound to that ability.

Here's my solution.  Remembering keybinds is an issue for me also, mainly because I have like 50 of them.  I have most of my keybinds set to the F-keys.  That's 36 keys since you have F1-F12, then alt-F and ctrl-F.  I have a paper template with 3 rows of keybinds listed, positioned above the F-keys.  Then I have a few more that I memorize since they are the same on every character.  R turns on/off sprint.  Alt-E turns on/off athletic/ninja/beast run (yes, I have one keybind that tries to toggle all three and it succeeds with whichever one the character has).  Alt-F fires either the Nemesis Staff or Blackwand (whichever that character has).  Etc.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

The key mapping in CoX is 100% flexible. There is nothing 'bound' to the powers tray unless you write a specific bind that says "fire the power in Tray 1, Slot 4" — which is all the default 1-0 keys do.

There is no way to renumber the slots in any tray of the game, but you can remap them without limitation.

It might seem a little overwhelming at first, but I point you to the Tech Guide, which covers keybinds (and macros, and many other QoL/UI issues) in great depth... but starts with basic tutorials and explanations. It's in the sig.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

20 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Here's my solution.  Remembering keybinds is an issue for me also, mainly because I have like 50 of them.

If you use a consistent, mnemonic system for your binds across alts, it gets a lot easier and you don't have to go to the rather awkward level of using only the F keys. Start with a look at the GABB bindfile, which uses a far more organized, self-referencing layout than the bizarrely awkward original binds.

I'm actually in the middle of a long-postponed project to separate my alts' bind files between a single common one for about 90% of the commands, and individual ones for the specific powers and needs of each. The individual files are surprisingly short across the full range of alts and powersets. Even without that refinement, I've been able to haul an alt out of cold storage and be up to speed by the first few battles, because of the consistent mapping.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com