I have been bad boy (costume wise)

I took my SoA off the alt shelf.

Went to work on her costume and saw this

All the other costume slots blacked out

Screenshot2024-02-04123114.thumb.png.c1929342af0384f7685e1d4c834f979c.png

And this message ... invalid parts?

Screenshot2024-02-04123154.thumb.png.f64223d1631ebd2e9f9c8793e07f2cce.png

How do I figure out which one? Is it because of the ears?

Screenshot2024-02-04123237.thumb.jpg.909b9effd11e6925f687b7609260a5db.jpg

/e poofgone

So, as I understand it, this typically happens because the devs have changed the underlying costume data in a way that wasn't backwards compatible -- like maybe renaming a costume texture, or changing a piece's type (like it was Boot >> Sneakers, now it's a type of Boot >> Flat >> Sneakers). It doesn't happen often, but it does happen rarely every once in a while.

Possible Workaround #1

If you have an old version (ie, has invalid parts) of the costume file laying around, you could pick a costume slot, visit the tailor screen for it, and save the costume file back out under a new name. The costume files are just plain text. So you could open them both up in, say, Notepad and compare them. Things that didn't change are probably okay. Things that did change might give you a clue to what was wrong and how to fix it. Did the old file have "EarFemaleElf" and the new one have "EarFemaleDefault"? Then yeah, probably good enough to pick Elf ears again. Or figure out whether it's really Ears >> Elf >> Pointy or Ears >> Elf >> Super Pointy that you had.

Possible Workaround #2

Take a screen shot of your character in the world with good lighting. Then bring up the costume screen. Swap back and forth between the 2 to figure out what the differences are.

Possible Workaround #3

Log into CoH on main account and alt account simultaneouly. Recreate the character on an alt account. Stand the characters side by side. Make a change on the temp char. Log out of tailor and see how it compares to original. Rinse, repeat. 

That's really all the advice I can think of.

• Thanks 1

For your first part, that's how VEAT costumes work.  You can only have Arachnos costume parts in your first costume.  Since you can't have them in any other costume, the other costume slots that you have opened are blacked out until you make a new costume in one.

For the second part, IIRC the VEAT costume options were reworked a little while ago (Page 5ish?), so yeah, you'll have the invalid parts issue.  Just go through the costume, make sure everything is right, and resave it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Imo they should change that, make VEAT parts aviable for normal costumes and instead of forcing the first costume to be a VEAT costume then hand people a transformation power like those you get for Aether.

It might be a lot of work to get Arachnos parts working with normal costumes but it's completely worth it

Edited by jkwak
  • Thanks 1

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak

On 2/5/2024 at 11:29 AM, jkwak said:

Imo they should change that, make VEAT parts aviable for normal costumes and instead of forcing the first costume to be a VEAT costume then hand people a transformation power like those you get for Aether.

It might be a lot of work to get Arachnos parts working with normal costumes but it's completely worth it

I think you'd need to be a little careful there - if VEAT parts were available to all characters, there's little incentive to play VEATs - but I am a great advocate for VEAT characters to be able to mix and match their costumes.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Yes. Any Epic Archetype Character should be able to use the AT parts on all slots. Or at least more than just one. 

Someone could have a bane spider and crab spider as their builds but only one costume allows the parts. I hope they change this. 

8 hours ago, Herotu said:

Would it be difficult for the devs to state the names of the broken parts' slots in the pop up?

On 2/4/2024 at 3:53 PM, Lunar Ronin said:

For your first part, that's how VEAT costumes work.  You can only have Arachnos costume parts in your first costume.  Since you can't have them in any other costume, the other costume slots that you have opened are blacked out until you make a new costume in one.

For the second part, IIRC the VEAT costume options were reworked a little while ago (Page 5ish?), so yeah, you'll have the invalid parts issue.  Just go through the costume, make sure everything is right, and resave it.

This alt was made a while ago, I mean, early on when I got back.... five years, maybe?

Thanks for all the input.

• Thumbs Up 1

/e poofgone