The current state of Titan Weapon for Tankers

wheresmycow

It's been a while since I've last played, but I'm thinking of starting from scratch with a new tanker.  Is Titan Weapon still a pretty solid secondary for Tanker and would it pair well with Invulnerability?  I had a Rad/TW tanker and I was working on a Dark/TW tanker, judging from my character list.  Also had a WP/Tanker but it ended up being lacklustre if I remember correctly.

Edited by wheresmycow

TW is broken plane and simple. The set is mid / low tier and you will realize it whenever you playing it in a team. By the time you start to land Arc of Destruction your target is dead by your team mates and you still are finishing the animation.  Also add that the set mechanic is useless and disabled. So maybe TW will work in a Tank but for a scrapper or a brute no point to take it. Animation is too slow and after the last dps nerf makes this set very frustating when teaming. 

Still looks cool. 

Edited by serxiom

I tried it and couldn't get into it. Managing the momentum mechanic was not intuitive because of the way it doesn't refresh as you keep swinging. Attacking without momentum, yeah, sucks. If you pop build momentum and then swing, it's fine. I'm sure you can probably get it to a state where you're regularly refreshing with build momentum, but playing it to that point wasn't worth it to me. If there's another trick to quickly gain momentum or work around it, I'd like to hear it since I'm still interested in the set as a whole. I like the look, just not the feel.

Got a new 50 bio/titan tanker, must have tested every power in the set until I got to 50.  I got a disgusting amount of recharge reduction in my build so ymmv. My attack chain is regularly Crushing Blow, Follow Through, Titan Sweep, Rend Armor, Follow Through.  Momentum is not a problem as I keep Arc of Destruction as a momentum building backup.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have never tried Titan Weapons, mostly because I never had a concept that called for it and partially due to personal hesitancy to embrace the Momentum mechanic.

The personal hesitancy comes from having use War Mace... I know different set... and I found War Mace to be super clunky while leveling up. It was only until the build had a LOT of global recharge (plus whatever set slotting for Recharge in individual attacks) that it played smooth enough for me to feel like I was having fun with it (across all levels of content).

As far as "hand held melee weapons" go... I found Battle Axe to be satisfying (both while leveling up and at end game). I haven't tried Broadsword or Staff... I know a lot of folks recommend Staff Fighting, and again (for me) I just didn't have a concept that called out for it. Staff definitely feels like a power set to take advantage of the improved Tanker AoE.

I find Titan Weapons to be excellent as a tank. I really only use the 3 cone attacks, the PBAoE that requires momentum, and rend armor (I don't have mids at work to get the exact names). I've also got the set-equivalent of Parry, but don't frequently use it (my Def is high enough that is only matters in extremely hard content). The major benefit, I think, from a tanking point of view is that most of these AoE attacks will knock mobs down. That's amazing, its a huge boon to tanking, as time they're getting up is time no one is taking damage from them. Obviously that doesn't work on AVs or GMs, but for everything else, its excellent. It was essential during leveling when set bonuses weren't all online, at 50+ it is still useful to give everyone a bit of breathing room.

All of this doesn't excuse the momentum mechanic, which doesn't feel great with the slow wind-ups, I'll admit. Also, as a previous poster pointed out, sometimes it means that stuff dies before you finish animating, which also doesn't feel great.  But, again, tanking isn't always about the damage, its about keeping everyone alive, and for that task, Titan Weapons is great.

RE: momentum...

Crushing Blow (the T2 attack) has basically the same animation time with and without momentum, so as long as you keep an eye on whether or not you have momentum up, your can basically go to town and just hit Crushing Blow as soon as momentum drops.

• Thumbs Up 1

What this team needs is more Defenders

9 hours ago, Psyonico said:

RE: momentum...

Crushing Blow (the T2 attack) has basically the same animation time with and without momentum, so as long as you keep an eye on whether or not you have momentum up, your can basically go to town and just hit Crushing Blow as soon as momentum drops.

Wait really?  Huh, I never noticed.

Probably because I never took it, but that's good to know given how T2 abilities can just be picked now at lvl 1.

Hm, Crushing Blow goes from a 2s cast to a 1.2s cast under Momentum.  Almost half the cast time.  That said it is my preferred attack to start combat with as it is the fastest attack in the set, though 2s isn't exactly "fast".