The Fantastic Four: First Steps

4 hours ago, Techwright said:

Inquiring minds want to know.

If I was writing it - let the wild speculation begin...

• Victor Von Doom is from Earth-1969 (or whatever the Fantastic 4's Universe is).
  • In that universe, Howard Stark is still his father, but for whatever plot reason, he was raised unaware of his legacy in Latveria by the Von Dooms and their Romani tribe. Possibly Maria Stark was a Latverian spy, it was a casual fling, he was kidnapped, or Obadiah disappeared him. Who knows.
  • He's still a natural-20 genius and uses technology (rather than technomagic, as in DOOM's original origin story) to help his family and tribe.
  • This leads him to the attention of ESU, where he moves to New York and begins researching alongside one Reed Richards. 
  • Fast forward through their friendship, split, nemesis bit, and whatever the actual movie turns out to be...
  • Where and the end, due to the accidental crossing of the high-polarity McGuffinator streams, the F4 and Doom wind up being thrown into MCU continuity.
  • Doom is initially very puzzled as to why everyone keeps calling him "Tony", for he is DOOM (etc)
  • ...but very, very quickly works out a game plan to capitalise on that, gaining access to money, technology and secrets.
  • After all, in an age of public distrust, only the handful of heroes who survived Thanos and saw his sacrifice play can 100% confirm Tony's dead and buried.
Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

I wasn't making a justification or comparison to RDJ, only that there was precedent. Thank you for the context on these examples though!

Ah, I see.  Apologies for the misunderstanding.

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

If I was writing it - let the wild speculation begin...

• Doom is initially very puzzled as to why everyone keeps calling him "Tony", for he is DOOM (etc)
  • ...but very, very quickly works out a game plan to capitalise on that, gaining access to money, technology and secrets.
  • After all, in an age of public distrust, only the handful of heroes who survived Thanos and saw his sacrifice play can 100% confirm Tony's dead and buried.

This...this could play into Armor (Armour) Wars the announced D+ series that was converted to a movie and was supposed to have Rhodey fighting to preserve Tony's legacy and in specific keep Stark technology out of enemy hands.  Justin Hammer is supposed to be the main baddie, however there was a seemingly passing comment that he might not be the only one.  I've heard nothing about this project since the Sept. 2022 announcement of the movie instead of the series. That, I think, was before Disney dug out the pruners to deal with the budget losses. Are you aware of anything recent? 

No, that was all wild speculation. I have no spies that dare provoke the wrath of K.E.V.I.N. and his dark army.

(Side note: I was at a Salesforce conference once where their head of Marketing brought out Benefact Clumberspaniel, for the alleged reason that sales is about performance - and the rather more obvious reason that she was fangirling wildly. There was drool. We all saw you, girrrrl.

And I saw him nervously check the roof when he accidentally let slip about performing with Patrick Stewart. The spoiler ninjas are REAL.)

However, with Armour Wars not featuring on the Phase 6 release schedule, maybe it's been cut-and-shut into the new Doomsday plotline?

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

4 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

However, with Armour Wars not featuring on the Phase 6 release schedule, maybe it's been cut-and-shut into the new Doomsday plotline?

That would, IMHO, probably strengthen the story.  Justin Hammer is an intriguing narcissistic goofball, and Sam Rockwell is one of the best character actors of his generation, but I'm not sure the character can hold audience attention for a full movie, or series for that matter. 

As to whether the movie was folded in or not, since my earlier posting, I've found an Atlanta Journal-Constitution article from May of this year stating that the movie had been delayed due to the actor/writers strikes, but has been rescheduled with shooting to start in January at the film studios in Fayetteville, GA (south of Atlanta).  The one source they cite does have the January 2025 date, however, curiously the supposed end of scheduling date is August of 2023.  Quantum Realm time travel, perhaps? 😏 Clearly there's a typo, but whether it is on 2025 or 2023, I don't know.  I do find it interesting that if it is back up and running, so little has been said about that, including on the official Marvel site covering the movie.

I also found articles saying the reason the story was converted to a movie was that the powers that be felt it deserved a bigger budget than a D+ series would get.  That's a positive sign to me, but again, those articles posted before Disney's slash-and-gash began.

Errr.... hate to say this, but that's one of those blasted Screen Culture fake concept trailers.

(And not one of their better ones - especially the rather dodgy voice cloning. Wish they wouldn't put "Official" on that stuff either. That kinda garbage clags up the internet.)

New Rockstars have a proper breakdown of everything that was shown in the real trailer, if you can stand the huge number of ad breaks, plus photos from a cunning Bothan spy who made it into Hall H. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

Teaser Trailer from SDCC ...

Yup, I'm out.  Definite pass and can already tell this is going to be the next in an ever lengthening list of flops for the MCU.

That's not a real trailer.

• Thumbs Down 1

19 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Errr.... hate to say this, but that's one of those blasted Screen Culture fake concept trailers.

Most of it is from actual teaser footage though based on what I've read and seen from the SDCC.  Still a pass for me.  You can't polish this turd enough.  Pedro Pascal is just horribly miscast. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

When the shitty "fake" trailer is leaps and bounds better than anything Marvel/Disney puts out, that's not a good sign.  I don't have high hopes for this movie either.  From what I've seen/read of this, it sounds just awful.  Now we all know why they're in desperation mode bringing back RDJ as multiverse Iron Man "Doctor Doom."

6 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Pedro Pascal is just horribly miscast. 

Completely agree.

30 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

New Rockstars have a proper breakdown of everything that was shown in the real trailer, if you can stand the huge number of ad breaks, plus photos from a cunning Bothan spy who made it into Hall H. 

That guy is annoying and one of the biggest shills on the planet. 

24 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Most of it is from actual teaser footage though based on what I've read and seen from the SDCC.  Still a pass for me.  You can't polish this turd enough.  Pedro Pascal is just horribly miscast. 

Quite a lot of the footage seems to be nicked from Hidden Figures, especially Costner and Taraji Henson.

(BTW, that is a pretty good movie - including a remarkable straight-ish turn from Jim Parsons.)

I still don't know if Pedro can sell awkward nerd, though that's closer to his real persona than a lot of stuff he's done on screen.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Quite a lot of the footage seems to be nicked from Hidden Figures, especially Costner and Taraji Henson.

(BTW, that is a pretty good movie - including a remarkable straight-ish turn from Jim Parsons.)

I still don't know if Pedro can sell awkward nerd, though that's closer to his real persona than a lot of stuff he's done on screen.

Some of the shots in there looked like stuff from the SDCC, but whatever.  I still think this is going to bomb. 

I'm just......despondent. Five attempts in my lifetime so far (that includes this movie) and STILL can't get it right. I foresee this one flopping harder than a goldfish out of its bowl. Harder than an epileptic at a rave. Harder than one of those Praetorian ghouls.

JUST ONCE before I pass away, I'd like to see a decent interpretation of the FF, and SKIP DOOM. Negative Zone/Annhilus. Mole Man. Fin Fang Foom would be better than what they've come out with so far.

First iteration: (not actually released)

Second attempt, admittedly better but still so wrong.

Third attempt, Silver Surfer good, Galactus and Doom so very bad.

And then THIS travesty.

And now we have this fifth attempt, which insofar as casting goes, looks so. very. bad.

Sigh.

Oh man... I'm thinking (hoping) this is going to get replaced via CGI, but then again The Thing was a rubber suit before in three different film attempts...

The more I see of the stuff from this, the less I'm excited to see it.

1 hour ago, ZacKing said:

Oh man... I'm thinking (hoping) this is going to get replaced via CGI, but then again The Thing was a rubber suit before in three different film attempts...

The more I see of the stuff from this, the less I'm excited to see it.

it does not appear to be a moving mouth, which suggests to me that what we're seeing is a stunt double being set up.  I would expect the main actor for the role to be given prosthetics to allow a greater range of facial movement.  That or a dotted face for CGI treatments.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Techwright said:

it does not appear to be a moving mouth, which suggests to me that what we're seeing is a stunt double being set up.  I would expect the main actor for the role to be given prosthetics to allow a greater range of facial movement.  That or a dotted face for CGI treatments.

You never know.  I mean, if it's a totally CGI character I'm not sure why a stunt double would need a full prosthetic suit and mask... but could be.  This article does say it's a "first look at the Thing"...  https://www.superherohype.com/movies/582595-the-fantastic-four-first-steps-set-video-thing

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

I mean, if it's a totally CGI character I'm not sure why a stunt double would need a full prosthetic suit and mask...

That a very reasonable question.  If my suggestion does turn out to be the context, I suspect that cost is a factor.  Why CGI a face the stunt guy won't use when a rubber mask gets the job done?  Save the CGI for the main actor who has to portray details.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 12:32 PM, Glacier Peak said:

That's not a real trailer.

It's hilarious that anyone would be so prejudiced against a movie that they would downvote a post pointing out that one of the things they're upset about isn't real. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, TTRPGWhiz said:

It's hilarious that anyone would be so prejudiced against a movie that they would downvote a post pointing out that one of the things they're upset about isn't real. 

Indeed

• Thumbs Down 1

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

That a very reasonable question.  If my suggestion does turn out to be the context, I suspect that cost is a factor.  Why CGI a face the stunt guy won't use when a rubber mask gets the job done?  Save the CGI for the main actor who has to portray details.

Could be, although depending on the shot there's more than likely going to be CGI work/cleanup needed anyway, so not sure what the difference is.  I've seen that video in a few articles around and they're all saying that's Ebon Moss-Bachrach in the suit.  Maybe Marvel/Disney is trying to cut costs and going with a rubber suit instead of full CGI.  The rest of the promo stuff for this looks cartoony, so wouldn't surprise me if this turns the Thing is being done practically.

2 hours ago, TTRPGWhiz said:

Even more hilarious that anyone puts so much emphasis on the emoji random strangers on the internet use on posts in an internet forum. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2