Adamastor

4 hours ago, Oklahoman said:

On Excelsior, the 5pm Central daily raid in The Abyss tends to squeeze in 5-6 runs because @Laucianna does however many she can within a 30 minute window.

30 minutes my arse, if you aren't logged in to the abyss by at least 5:30, and often earlier than that, you aren't getting in because people fill the zone with their alts so the zone is filled by that time. So add at least 35 extra minutes.

And yes "Dual Boxing is not permitted in the Abyss" but since the GM's don't actually go in and clear them out and administer a consequence, the practice continues.

9 hours ago, Number Six said:

I'm surprised you were able to consistently. Might depend on which shard. GMs were often getting tickets about being unable to fight Adamastor because of people AFK camping the summoning spot with masterminds and the summon power on auto.

Maybe he was one of the AFK MMs

On 2/20/2024 at 4:28 PM, Shadow Metal said:

Adamastor

• Adamastor now only drops Rewards Merits to the same character once every eighteen hours; Amount of merits earned remains the same as before.

I was setting a timer and popping over to fight him earning six merits an hour for a few hours a day, the few days a week, I have available to do this.

I guess now I'll just go make a fire farmer and make 30 million per run instead. The acceptable exploit.  

Heh... Yeah, I never made more than 30 merits a day hunting Giant Monsters and it would take me hours. Now I just don't hunt them. But yes, farming is still an option.

9 hours ago, ZacKing said:

I agree with those suggesting Hami Raids if they fit your schedule.  Fastest way to earn a chunk of merits every day. 

Everyone knows this already.  No need to keep repeating it.  If people are looking for advice and suggestions for various ways to farm merits to improve their characters, let them.  They're going to do it anyway regardless if you tell them they don't need to.

Telling them they don't need to farm merits to do that doesn't count as advice either?  I disagree.  There is such pressure for cookie cutter builds, farming merits, AE farming, and rushing to the level cap (an artifact of other games) that I will guarantee you that there are new players who have no idea.

• Thumbs Down 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 2/20/2024 at 5:28 PM, Shadow Metal said:

Adamastor

• Adamastor now only drops Rewards Merits to the same character once every eighteen hours; Amount of merits earned remains the same as before.

I was setting a timer and popping over to fight him earning six merits an hour for a few hours a day, the few days a week, I have available to do this.

I guess now I'll just go make a fire farmer and make 30 million per run instead. The acceptable exploit.  

So, here's what I did today. I just happened to be in Sharkhead grabbing explorations to fill up on patrol XP. 
Someone shouted a recruit message for Scrappy. (The Ghost of Scrapyard) We defeated Scrappy over 10 times. I had something else to do, and when I left, they were still killing him. 
So, what did I get? 6 reward merits each time. No diminishing returns. I got 66 merits, and 11 "monstrous aether particles". 

So what did I do with those "monstrous aether particles"? I went to pocket D. First, I checked in with the holo labs vendor and learned I could exchange 3 of the MAPs for 1 PAP. 

On the AH, PAPs were listed at a little more than 2.5M each. The holo lab vendor said I could exchange 10 of the MAPs for a random mini-monster recipe. Like those things are useless to me, but in this game, people love things that are cute and useless. I took the risk and got a mini Kraken. Tossed it on the AH and saw them selling for 100M 

15 minutes of killing Scrappy repeatedly for 100M. Beats farming every day of the week. 
Granted, eventually those MAPs are going to be everywhere, and the price of those mini-monsters are going to drop to about 10K, not 100M, lol. But in the meantime, I'm having a good chuckle. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, tidge said:

50s would get 10 merits + 5 threads IIRC, maybe that is what you saw?

I tested with a non-50 defeating (nu)Adamastor the first time: 10 Merits + 6 Merits (no threads, obviously)

EDIT: I went back and tested with a level 50, and got 10 Merits, plus 6 Merits plus 5 Threads (plus Monstrous Aethers) . This is a pretty generous drop IMO.

Edited by tidge

15 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Telling them they don't need to farm merits to do that doesn't count as advice either?  I disagree.  There is such pressure for cookie cutter builds, farming merits, AE farming, and rushing to the level cap (an artifact of other games) that I will guarantee you that there are new players who have no idea.

Coming into a thread where people are discussing and sharing ideas on efficient ways to farm merits and telling everyone "you don't need to farm merits" is a non-starter, isn't helpful and isn't lending anything to the topic.  There are a lot of things you don't need to do in this game, but people do them anyway because it's what they enjoy doing.  You don't need to participate in PvP or RP or play the market either, but people still do those things.  Let them because that's what they enjoy.

As far as "pressure" to create cookie cutter builds and such, I don't know about that.  I've never seen it and I think it's an extreme exaggeration of a minority of edge cases.  My experience is that people asking for build advice or efficient ways of farming aren't wanting to hear "don't worry about builds or farming.  Play story content, stop and smell the roses and enjoy the journey."  It isn't helpful advice for them and isn't what they're asking for.  The more you try and deter farming, the more you're creating the environment for it to not only grow, but thrive. 

Different people have different goals.  If they want to rush to the level cap because that's how they do it in other games and what they enjoy, let them.  There's always Oro for them to go back and play all the content.  If people enjoy farming, let them.  If people enjoy RPing, PvP, playing the market or taking the slow road to level up, let them.  More power to all of them in finding things they enjoy.

13 hours ago, Perfidy said:

15 minutes of killing Scrappy repeatedly for 100M. Beats farming every day of the week. 
Granted, eventually those MAPs are going to be everywhere, and the price of those mini-monsters are going to drop to about 10K, not 100M, lol. But in the meantime, I'm having a good chuckle. 

Good stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 hours ago, ZacKing said:

Coming into a thread where people are discussing and sharing ideas on efficient ways to farm merits and telling everyone "you don't need to farm merits" is a non-starter, isn't helpful and isn't lending anything to the topic. 

Subjective at best, unkind to me at worst.  If it's a new player to this game, it's in the same league with telling them they don't have to follow the tanker-healer-damage triad model of other games after they come to ask question about building the best healer (such conversations and advice that I have seen here, more than once); you're trying to tell me what I can and can't say.

There are a lot of things you don't need to do in this game, but people do them anyway because it's what they enjoy doing.  You don't need to participate in PvP or RP or play the market either, but people still do those things.  Let them because that's what they enjoy.

I never said YOU ARE WRONG AND BAD AND ARE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG, I just offered advice.  But I guess that's FORUM-RESPONDING WRONG?

As far as "pressure" to create cookie cutter builds and such, I don't know about that.  I've never seen it and I think it's an extreme exaggeration of a minority of edge cases.  My experience is that people asking for build advice or efficient ways of farming aren't wanting to hear "don't worry about builds or farming.  Play story content, stop and smell the roses and enjoy the journey."  It isn't helpful advice for them and isn't what they're asking for.  The more you try and deter farming, the more you're creating the environment for it to not only grow, but thrive. 

Go listen to all the farm calls requested Incarnate shields powers in chat.  This thread in and of itself is a new-to-the-forums person asking about farming... and then there's your negative response to my advice too.  I've gotten push back on these very same forums for the offered advice of "play what power sets you want" because of that same mentality.  That all does add up to some scare-quoted "pressure", yes.  😃

Different people have different goals.  If they want to rush to the level cap because that's how they do it in other games and what they enjoy, let them.  There's always Oro for them to go back and play all the content.  If people enjoy farming, let them.  If people enjoy RPing, PvP, playing the market or taking the slow road to level up, let them.  More power to all of them in finding things they enjoy.

Once again I have to tell you that I never said YOU CAN'T DO THIS, I said they don't have to.  Can't I make suggestions?  No?

If a majority of the newcomers sugar-rush to 50 without understanding that's not the end-all be-all of our game (and a too easy one), they're going to burn off really quickly, which is not good for the state of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

12 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Subjective at best, unkind to me at worst.  If it's a new player to this game, it's in the same league with telling them they don't have to follow the tanker-healer-damage triad model of other games after they come to ask question about building the best healer (such conversations and advice that I have seen here, more than once); you're trying to tell me what I can and can't say.

No, I'm not trying to dictate to you what you can or can't say.  I'm just letting you know that coming into threads where people are asking for specific advice or strategies about farming merits to say "you don't need to farm merits" isn't helpful to the discussion.  You're also assuming a new account is a new player.  They may very well be a vet who is just coming back now and already knows the basics.

I never said YOU ARE WRONG AND BAD AND ARE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG, I just offered advice.  But I guess that's FORUM-RESPONDING WRONG?

Again, coming into a thread where people are asking how to best earn merits and saying "you don't need them" isn't answering their question.  They know they don't "need" them.  They would like them for goals they have in mind.  There's a difference.  Coming in and saying "you don't need that" isn't helping them toward their goal.

Go listen to all the farm calls requested Incarnate shields powers in chat.  This thread in and of itself is a new-to-the-forums person asking about farming... and then there's your negative response to my advice too.  I've gotten push back on these very same forums for the offered advice of "play what power sets you want" because of that same mentality.  That all does add up to some scare-quoted "pressure", yes. 

I guess I have a different view of this.  If people are asking for specific builds for stuff and I don't have those particular builds, I just won't join that team.  There are plenty of other teams forming to do the same content or I'll form my own team.  My "negative response" to your "advice" is just letting you know you aren't contributing anything helpful to a discussion about farming merits by saying "you don't need to farm merits."  Again, everyone knows they don't have to do it, they want to do it.  As far as getting push back on "play what power sets you want", were you making that comment in threads where people were asking for specific AT/Build advice?  If so, then yeah, I can see why you'd be getting that.

Also, here again you're assuming a new forum account is some new player who's never played the game before.  If you actually read the OP, they said they've been farming Adamastor for weeks (at least).  The OP would have to be at an appropriate level range and power level to solo Adamastor, know how to get to Echo DA and how and when to summon him and know what the merit rewards were for defeating him.  None of that sounds like a brand new player to me. 

13 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Once again I have to tell you that I never said YOU CAN'T DO THIS, I said they don't have to.  Can't I make suggestions?  No?

Sure, make all the suggestions you want.  Just be aware others can respond and let you know your suggestions are or aren't helpful.

13 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

If a majority of the newcomers sugar-rush to 50 without understanding that's not the end-all be-all of our game (and a too easy one), they're going to burn off really quickly, which is not good for the state of the game.

You're making quite a lot of assumptions about what others want, their play styles and goals, and how they should or shouldn't play the game here.  I know of a lot of people that I team with regularly who like to farm to 50 then trick out their characters before going back and running the content via Oro to avoid the whole DO/SO thing.  There are quite a lot of people I know who just want to run TFs and Incarnate trials and skip the story content all together.  There are people creating characters just to PvP and don't care about story or "the journey" at all.  I assure, just as you believe there are people rushing to 50 who get bored and leave, there are plenty of people out there who have tried the game "the right way" and within the first 20 to 30 levels, got bored because of the "repetitive, stale and boring" content.  I know because I've talked to them.  Trying to corral people like that into doing content they don't like isn't good for the game either, so why not let people play as they like?  That's better for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1