Anybody else unable to play the game now?

AspieAnarchy

I just tried playing for the first time since The Big Upgrade...and I can't.

I get as far as the load-in screen, then it keeps crashing and telling me there isn't enough RAM.

This is new; anyone else having this problem, or know what I should do?

Also, in case it's significant, the sound effects (but not the music) were unexpectedly quiet as a mouse; maybe that's my hardware, but my other games don't sound any different - nor did the Windows error-crash "bonk" sound.

To be precise, here's a (crappy) screenshot:

Issue27Page7RAMProblem.png

Edited by AspieAnarchy
added screenshot, extra note

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

Not me, sorry. As proof, in the Robotic Arms 2 bug thread, I logged in, made 3 characters, and took screen shots of them just a little bit ago. (Edit: In case something changed between then and now, I just tried logging in again. And even with Pathfinder: Kingmaker still running, I was able to load up and access City of Heroes without any problems.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Microphone 1

53 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

I just tried playing for the first time since The Big Upgrade...and I can't.

I get as far as the load-in screen, then it keeps crashing and telling me there isn't enough RAM.

This is new; anyone else having this problem, or know what I should do?

Also, in case it's significant, the sound effects (but not the music) were unexpectedly quiet as a mouse; maybe that's my hardware, but my other games don't sound any different - nor did the Windows error-crash "bonk" sound.

To be precise, here's a (crappy) screenshot:

Make sure you verify your files.  And you might want to try the diag client to see if that can at least generate a helpful diagnosis for the devs.

On the sound stuff:  They changed the scale of the sound.  Nearly everyone runs the game at such low volumes (I ran at 8%) so they made the scale different.  I think now to have the same sound, I need to increase a bit.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, lemming said:

Make sure you verify your files.  And you might want to try the diag client to see if that can at least generate a helpful diagnosis for the devs.

How do I do that?

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

• City Council

Any mods installed? Anything in your Data directory? If so remove/rename the data directory, and if you have mods remove the -assetpath assets/mods from your game launcher.

1 minute ago, Michiyo said:

Any mods installed? Anything in your Data directory? If so remove/rename the data directory, and if you have mods remove the -assetpath assets/mods from your game launcher.

As you may recall, I've been unable to even figure out how to make it possible to install mods.

As for "Data directory", I can't even figure out where that is now - but maybe if the answer to the first question is 'no', the second is moot?

• City Council
1 minute ago, AspieAnarchy said:

As you may recall, I've been unable to even figure out how to make it possible to install mods.

As for "Data directory", I can't even figure out where that is now - but maybe if the answer to the first question is 'no', the second is moot?

The data directory is in the root of your game install, and is not related to the mod installer at all, which is why I asked about it separately.

1 hour ago, Michiyo said:

The data directory is in the root of your game install, and is not related to the mod installer at all, which is why I asked about it separately.

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I cannot even figure out where that is.

ALSO, now that I've received some replies (in the interest of being circumspect, I figured I'd ask before telling) I'll try mentioning something else: I'm still using "Tequila"; does that matter? Like I said, everything seems fine until the load-screen, and I have no idea how the launcher works or how much of the game exists therein.

I'm with @AspieAnarchy on this. What data directory? In the root folder for the game, I see a Costumes, piggs, missions, and logs folders; and I see a maps folder under the player account folder, but not a data directory folder unto itself.

(Edit: And the 2 hc-bins folders too....)

Edited by Rudra
  • Finland 1

If there is no data directory, we don't have to worry about any mods screwing stuff up.

For instance my popmenus are all in: Games/Homecoming/data/texts/English/menus

I thought there was a button in Tequila for Verifying.  With the HC Launcher, it's in the three dots menu.

Installing the homecoming launcher is recommended though.  At some point Tequila will probably not work (even more so...)

Make sure you back up your files.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/103-homecoming-launcher/

12 minutes ago, lemming said:

If there is no data directory, we don't have to worry about any mods screwing stuff up.

For instance my popmenus are all in: Games/Homecoming/data/texts/English/menus

I thought there was a button in Tequila for Verifying.  With the HC Launcher, it's in the three dots menu.

Installing the homecoming launcher is recommended though.  At some point Tequila will probably not work (even more so...)

Make sure you back up your files.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/103-homecoming-launcher/

What I see is in the attached snip. Note that I do have an assets folder, which is the mods folder that has vidiotmaps. I don't know what @AspieAnarchy sees on their computer, but you apparently do have a data directory. (Edit: I on the other hand do not and am wondering why the difference.)

Edit again: And to verify/validate files using Tequila, you click the Options button and then the Re-Validate button on the options window.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1

OKAY! I'm going to be a dunce one last time: Can you please remind me where I can get the new installer?

Because I happen to have another (otherwise less-good) computer with the new installer, and it would seem that IS the problem!

Okay, it now seems to work...BETTER than before (i.e. at all), but it's STILL crashing.

I can log into Ouroboros, but it doesn't seem to like First Ward.

EDITI: Okay, upon further investigation, Firebase Zulu, Sharkhead Isle, and the Midnighter Club all work, but Atlas Park crashes on arrival too.

EDITII: Grandville and St. Martial seem to work, but some missions only work partway through...(it seems not all maps are created equal).

EDITIII: Small Praetorian-map instances (i.e. for Valentine deliveries) seem to work, so it's not simply 'anything Praetorian', and Cap Au Diable...I can go there, I can enter the University, but it crashes when I come back out.

I'm starting to think getting the new Installer has not, itself, actually improved anything.

Edited by AspieAnarchy

Yeah I'm having all kinds of issues, especially with the game freezing up and losing connection to map server. The issue isn't my internet connection. Have had no issues browsing and played ESO for an hour with no problems whatsoever. 

• Thanks 1

*poke*

Still having problems.

UPDATE: Steel Canyon seems to work. Atlas Park City Hall interior does, too, not sure about outside....EDIT: Nope, exterior AP is still a crash-trap.

Edited by AspieAnarchy

I was hoping the latest update would improve things; it has not.

Grandville is now a crash-trap as well.

Would somebody please help?

Goodness! Well, at least I don't have that problem!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Boss Lady said:

Well, I don't get any errors, but the UI is freakishly small and I cannot click anything on the power trays or chat, or anything! I rebooted but still not able to make it full size. Any ideas?

image.png

This happened to me too! That tiny rectangle should be your chat window, try moving your mouse around it and you should be able to click and drag the individual panels of it. It doesn't seem to resize it in the actual image that you're seeing, though, which is weird. Still no idea what's happening with it. Wish I could play. 😕

On 2/27/2024 at 11:40 PM, CraterLabs said:

This happened to me too! That tiny rectangle should be your chat window, try moving your mouse around it and you should be able to click and drag the individual panels of it. It doesn't seem to resize it in the actual image that you're seeing, though, which is weird. Still no idea what's happening with it. Wish I could play. 😕

hey, I was able to fix it!! It was the HC launcher that caused it. click the gear at the top of the HC launcher and go to "homecoming" and check the box that says "Reset graphics settings on on next run" - that worked for me!image.thumb.png.d41dd7b091e0568a988e4e0a66687b2f.png

*POKE*

It's still not working, I still don't know why.

I would start with the basics:

Reboot your ISP and router: COH is different than newer games and may have issues when others do not, since you are having issues and not everyone is, best to look at home.

Run /netgraph 1: This will show if the issue is with your connection to the server, if you see a bunch of red bars something is up and you are losing connectivity.

Wired or Wireless? If on WiFi, try switching to a wired connection, this will get you the best possible speed and bandwidth, and eliminate environmental interference.

Which Shard are you on? If on any of the NA Shards try Reunion, if on Reunion, try Indomitable or Torchbearer, the least populated NA Shards. 

What is your Computer? Any specs you can give us may be helpful, there are things that can be done to improve performance such as enlarging the Virtual Memory.

• Thanks 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Getting help on a different forum now; thanks.