Which combo of these 4 primaries and 4 secondaries would work best?

Primary choices include: Invulnerability, Super Reflexes, Willpower, Bio Armor.

Secondaries are: Street Justice, Martial Arts, Kinetic Melee, Energy Melee.

Basically, I have a character concept, but it's still malleable and so I figured it's time to make sure I don't get something that can't tank the end-game content that people are likely to be doing, But I don't really know the end-game at this point, and I also barely play any melee characters, so I'm not sure what would be "good enough".  I've played with most of these powers up to level 25 or so and they seem fun enough, although I haven't necessarily paired them with any other powers on this list while doing that.  I've gone through the costume designer and made sure all of the powersets I mention here can fit my concept's image. 

My goal, other than fitting my concept, is to be the best tank possible for doing the random content that people tend to do at level 50+.  Knocking stuff out would be nice, but I really want to focus on getting and holding aggro and not dying in the process.  Do you think those combos would be better or worse mechanically than the SR/Elec tanker I already have.. but which kinda stretches my concept?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and even if you choose not to reply, have a wonderful day!

All of your choices will work for anything in a general sense. You don't really have to worry about strict requirements until you get into the top 2% of content. All Tanks are aggro magnets that have a hard time going down, so just pick whatever feels the most fun!

20 minutes ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

I've played with most of these powers up to level 25

Personally, I would be focused more on finding something that's fun to you around here

21 minutes ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

random content that people tend to do at level 50+. 

Than I would be about this. There aren't a lot of sets Super Strength that won't feel functional by the mid 20s. Well, except for...

22 minutes ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

Kinetic Melee

This is just kinda stinky. Sorry.

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

KM has issues with animation times and a substandard mechanic. Do yourself a favor and avoid it. I say that as someone who played KM to 50 on a scraper. StJ is bland, but otherwise okay. You would be better off with EM or MA, but StJ works.

Any of the listed defenses work. I am partial to some but any listed will work.

Invuln/Energy Melee. You can stand up to anything and "KO" (stun them). Damage is not an issue since your teammates will roll stuff faster than you (generally DPS speaking). But, If you like the basic concept KM, it does add some soft control that the other sets don't. It gets a medium ranged ST attack you can slot with KB>KD, and a cone that you can slot the same way (KB>KD). So, some additional options to knocking mobs off/down teammates when Taunt isn't work or is recharging (plus it's kinda' fun). Add Mighty Radial Final Judgement and after you AoE them down, Focused Burst, you can Knock them Up (er... into the air that is...) (AoE mob juggling at it's finest). So although in need of some love Dev lovin', KM can still be very useful on a Tank.

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

2 hours ago, Hardboiled Hero said:

sorry why?  If a set stinks mechanically, then it stinks mechanically.  I'm literally asking about what sets and pairings of sets are mechanically good or bad at 50+. Why would kinetic stink at level 54 though?

I say sorry because I'm not one to bash sets since this is a game where anything can work. But Kinetic Melee is subpar in every area. It's decidedly the lowest performing set in DPS tests and there are better alternatives that can do what it does just fine (although they might not fit your concept). It's probably the only one I would recommend avoiding, unless you're playing a Stalker.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Willpower, Bio Armour, and Invulnerability paired Energy Melee would work pretty well. They've got the health to ignore Energy Transfer's self damage most of the time.

Super Reflexes, Willpower, and Invulnerability would all be pretty happy with Martial Arts. They'll see benefits from both the defense boost in Storm Kick and it stacks nicely with their existing powers, though Super Reflexes might only see the benefit in Incarnate Content. Bio Armour doesn't seem to get any Defense Debuff resistance. (Willpower gets about 22%, Invulnerability gets 50%, and Super Reflexes gets 95%)

Street Justice will work with anything, it won't have any specific synergy with any set, but it doesn't have anything that'll disagree with the sets either.

Kinetic Melee is fun, but it is the slowest feeling of the sets. If you've got a concept that works with the animations, go for it. I think this probably pairs best with Super Reflexes because you're trying to keep Siphon Power up as much as possible, so Quicken is nice for that.