Can I make a mastermind that does this?

Damoklese

So I have dabbled a little in MMs but never committed to one because I reach a point where I just feel like all im doing is moving my pets around.  I know thats kind of what the class is, but im wondering if I can play a mastermind without being all about the pets.

Essentially I wonder if I can make more of a set and forget mastermind.   Ive been told that you can put Bots or Necro on defensive and just leave them like that.  I dont know how accurate of a statement that is, but if that is true...  Could I go Bots/Traps/Field and make him as a set and forget MM?

The idea is that id put the bots on defensive and just let them follow me around and provide laser goodness. Id have the FF bot from traps providing defense, meanwhile id be using the energy blasts from field mastery slotted with force feedback +recharge procs, and throwing in some trip mines, seeker drones, and what have you.

Is this feasible?  Or am I gimping myself?

It's totally feasible. Pets on defensive-follow (Which happens to be their default command) will just tail you and retaliate when attacked.

Something I want to point out is pets are controllable while the MM is animating other powers. So in 3-5secs while setting up an Acid Mortar, Poison Trap, Trip Mine etc, pet commands can be input. Assault Bot could be set to aggressive-attack my target, Protectors could be set to defensive-stay, Drones could be agressive-goto to get them into place for a Detonator.

Set up pet controls in a way that's comfortable. Practice it, get used to it and it won't really interfere with other MM powers. Also once you get familiar with it, it can pretty much be reapplied to other MM primaries. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a bot/ff secondary account that i use to self-duo task forces whenever im not in the mood to deal with others but need something done

zero inventions, just level 50 SOs.  follow, bubble up, one attack on auto

• 3 weeks later

This is very doable. Bodyguard mode (pets in Defensive) divides damage taken directly by you amongst you and your pets. So if an attack does 70 damage, you all take 10, basically. Get softcapped defenses, and some controls/mezzes, and you can almost kind of sort of tank a mob while your pets go "Danger, Damoklese Robinson!" *activating light show of death*

Bots/Traps can be quite fun, though if much breaks through your defenses you can also go splat fairly quick. But mine is fairly durable even at a mere level 35 with out even being a finished build.