I must be doing something wrong...

10 minutes ago, Sovera said:

No need to start from scratch, sometimes a respec and gear is all you need. There are very few completely helpless cases. But the weaker the base the more money you need to pour in to shores its weaknesses.

As someone who is just starting we are trying to tell you some easier choices to dip your toes into the game, accumulate money, get a better understanding of the game, and then start messing with things on your own using that knowledge.

Money is not directly an issue. From what I have read here particularly with the brute the secondary powerset is not tenable. I presumed, incorrectly it seems, that a healing base would be useful. i WAS looking for the easy choices. In a perusal for recommended builds the interwebs are filled with a wide variety of choices and without much details as to WHY, apart from overload a brute with LotG, In any case a respec is not going to eliminate a poor choice of a powerset. I'm all about exploiting the quirks of the game to my advantage. It's how I get inf in the game.

10 minutes ago, sjj668 said:

Money is not directly an issue. From what I have read here particularly with the brute the secondary powerset is not tenable. I presumed, incorrectly it seems, that a healing base would be useful. i WAS looking for the easy choices. In a perusal for recommended builds the interwebs are filled with a wide variety of choices and without much details as to WHY, apart from overload a brute with LotG, In any case a respec is not going to eliminate a poor choice of a powerset. I'm all about exploiting the quirks of the game to my advantage. It's how I get inf in the game.

Regen is one of those cases that it is a bit helpless. Some people manage to make it work but it's double the effort for half the reward.

You're right that there are a lot of choices but it's not because half of the people are wrong but just because the game allows for a big variety of builds. Even Regen if you're willing to put some of that inf. But if you wish for something simpler then the posts in this thread will help choosing something, then it is a matter of adapting to a leveling build.

39 minutes ago, sjj668 said:

Thank you all for your feedback. As per the title of this thread. I do not have a clear understanding of the game as it is now. I played a bit back in the day about 15 years ago so things have changed. So if I understand the gist of all these comments:

• Build choices are more degenerate than they once were.
  • I will need to find a proven formula to min/max my ATs where possible.
  • In cases where my choices for primary/secondary don't fit within the paradigm it's best to restart the character from scratch with better choices.

Appreciate the input.

Nah, some builds are definitely trickier than others. I wouldn't say min/max is the goal, though it does help. Mostly, just take a step back and evaluate what the sets you are choosing are good at, and lean into that. Don't forget to cover your build's weaknesses, but putting more focus into your build's strengths will usually get you farther.

1 minute ago, Sovera said:

Regen is one of those cases that it is a bit helpless. Some people manage to make it work but it's double the effort for half the reward.

You're right that there are a lot of choices but it's not because half of the people are wrong but just because the game allows for a big variety of builds. Even Regen if you're willing to put some of that inf. But if you wish for something simpler then the posts in this thread will help choosing something, then it is a matter of adapting to a leveling build.

Agreed which is why I understand that particularly in the case of the brute, a total redo is in order. I would like to see at least one alt make it to that end without a prodigious suicide rate.

3 minutes ago, sjj668 said:

Agreed which is why I understand that particularly in the case of the brute, a total redo is in order. I would like to see at least one alt make it to that end without a prodigious suicide rate.

If you're going to remake your Regen Brute I recommend using Willpower instead. It's essentially "Regen Fixed." Some defense, some resists, a lot of healing, and nothing to click.

If you're going to stick with Fiery Melee, and why wouldn't you - fire swords rock, I also recommend taking Air Superiority. It does ok damage but, more importantly, it knocks targets down, even most bosses. A target that's picking itself back up off of the floor isn't attacking you. I also recommend the Fighting Pool once you get to higher levels and can fit it in. Through a couple of +Def and +resist special IOs in and your Brute will be a light assault tank.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

If you're going to remake your Regen Brute I recommend using Willpower instead. It's essentially "Regen Fixed." Some defense, some resists, a lot of healing, and nothing to click.

If you're going to stick with Fiery Melee, and why wouldn't you - fire swords rock, I also recommend taking Air Superiority. It does ok damage but, more importantly, it knocks targets down, even most bosses. A target that's picking itself back up off of the floor isn't attacking you. I also recommend the Fighting Pool once you get to higher levels and can fit it in. Through a couple of +Def and +resist special IOs in and your Brute will be a light assault tank.

I genuinely appreciate the advice not only for the pick but the WHYs of the pick.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sjj668 said:

I genuinely appreciate the advice not only for the pick but the WHYs of the pick.

On Enhancement slotting.

As you level up you should slot 1 Endurance Reduction in each toggle and in each attack. Followed by 1 accuracy in each attack. Followed by 3 Defense or Resistance in each toggle or auto armor power, depending on which one they are. Make sure to slot 3 endurance modifications in Stamina and Quick Recovery. As you continue to level up add 3 damage enhancements into each attack. Finally adding additional recharge, or other enhancements, as needed.

Typically I will use SOs until I reach level 22, then I slot level 25 IOs. Once at 50 I'll typically respec into a planned build and return the level 25 IOs to the storage bins in my base.

For special IOs I typically use the two +3% defense specials and the +5% damage resist and scaling damage resist specials. Also a knockback protection special, if my powerset doesn't have KB protection. Also, a Performance Shifter proc in Stamina and in Quick Recovery does wonders. Other specials like Miracles or Numinas are great too. There's a page on the Homecoming Wiki that lists each of these special IOs by name, and their effects.

Once I get to 50 and respec is when I typically slot set IOs, if I bother at all, which I usually don't.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

11 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

On Enhancement slotting.

As you level up you should slot 1 Endurance Reduction in each toggle and in each attack. Followed by 1 accuracy in each attack. Followed by 3 Defense or Resistance in each toggle or auto armor power, depending on which one they are. Make sure to slot 3 endurance modifications in Stamina and Quick Recovery. As you continue to level up add 3 damage enhancements into each attack. Finally adding additional recharge, or other enhancements, as needed.

Typically I will use SOs until I reach level 22, then I slot level 25 IOs. Once at 50 I'll typically respec into a planned build and return the level 25 IOs to the storage bins in my base.

For special IOs I typically use the two +3% defense specials and the +5% damage resist and scaling damage resist specials. Also a knockback protection special, if my powerset doesn't have KB protection. Also, a Performance Shifter proc in Stamina and in Quick Recovery does wonders. Other specials like Miracles or Numinas are great too. There's a page on the Homecoming Wiki that lists each of these special IOs by name, and their effects.

Once I get to 50 and respec is when I typically slot set IOs, if I bother at all, which I usually don't.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out the specials as they seem to obviate the need to replace the worn out set IOs.

Some other things to consider is power slotting, and what you're choosing to slot. You don't need to six-slot everything right out of the gate; but maximizing the benefits you're getting for your slots is important. And some things feel more or less important than they actually are.

Some general slotting tips:

- basic (non-set) IOs don't provide much benefit below level 25. At 25 they're slightly worse than an SO, while 30 and 35 are slightly better than SOs.

- Sets can be hit with Enhancement Catalysts, which means they will grow with you. Their benefits will increase as you level, making them more valuable.

- PVP sets do this automatically, but they only scale up to the level of the PVP IO, so you usually want to wait until level 50 to pick up a PVP set

- Purple sets work the same way PVP sets do, but are only available at level 50

Attack Slotting Tips:
Basic slotting for attacks is pretty straightforward. Ideally, you want to maximize how often your attacks hit, then damage, then reduce their cost, then increase how often you can use them. So, a basic slotting plan using SOs or Level 25+ basic IOs would be:

1 acc , 2 dam, 1-2 end redux, 1-2 recharge.

Harder hitting attacks tend to cost more endurance, and attacks are where the bulk of your end costs happen. So if you have an attack with a very high end cost, it can be worthwhile to slot an endurance reduction before damage or two slot endurance reduction.

Defenses (Toggles):
Defense Toggles look like they're a pretty hefty end drain, but that's not the case. What defense toggles do is slow the rate that you regain spent endurance. You want to keep your toggle costs below your energy recovery rate, and as a general rule having recovery 2x your costs is good (but not required).

Toggles are your primary form of defense. They get far more benefit out of being slotted than an auto-power does, so the toggles are the powers you want to prioritize first. For basic slotting, you can maximize the effect of a defense or resistance toggle with only 3 slots:

2 defense or resistance, 1 end reduction.

I usually put in the end reduction last, and it can be skipped if you're fairly toggle light. Improving your defense or resistance to damage is a significant boost to your survivability.

Defenses (Auto Powers):

Auto powers provide much reduced benefits in exchange for being "always on." As a general rule, they don't need active slotting until higher level when you're trying to push the maximum performance of your set. Auto powers can be very beneficial, as they're a place to put one-slot-wonders like the the Steadfast Protection +3% Defense, Steadfast Protection Knockdown Protection IO, Unbreakable Guard +Max HP, Luck of the Gambler +Recharge, or other special IOs

Many auto powers are perfectly fine with a single slot, and a basic SO or IO boosting defense or resistance or whatever other benefit they offer until late game or you run out of other powers to put slots into.

Support Powers:
These are clicks you use on teammates or yourself, and how much slotting they need tends to vary. If it's a debuff that targets an enemy, you'll want to prioritize accuracy; while if it's a buff that improves you or your team you'll want to improve what that buff does, reduce its costs (if the costs are expensive), or improve how fast it recharges (if it has a long recharge time).

So a good debuff setup is:
1 acc, 1-2 end redux (depending on how high the end cost is), 1-2 recharge redux (depending on how long the cooldown is)

And a good buff setup is

1-2 [whatever the power buffs (like healing, or defense)], 1-2 end redux, 1-2 recharge redux.

Travel Powers

Travel powers usually don't need slotting, but it's good to keep in mind that they can take a few special IOs. Winter's 20% slow resistance is nice, but for characters like the Arachnos Soldier that doesn't have knockdown protection, Blessing of the Zephyr's Knockback Reduction IO can be slotted into any travel power. Fly, hover, group fly, teleport, combat teleport, teleport target, team teleport, super speed, combat jumping, and super jump can all take a Blessing of the Zephyr, which will give you 4 knockback protection. Blessing of the Zephyr is non unique, so you can stack multiple of it if you have enough unique travel powers.

So, as a few general rules I personally like to follow:

- If a power doesn't hit, it's completely wasted. Accuracy is the king and should usually be the first thing you slot, unless you've got a power with a very high base accuracy like a blaster Tier 9. Once your powers hit reliably, you can start looking at increasing damage or minimizing costs.

- bringing recharge times down is important, but only if you have the endurance management to handle the faster recharge. That's why I usually recommend picking up end reductions before recharge time reductions in attacks and (click) support powers.

- Toggles do not drain as much endurance as you think, and while bringing their costs down is helpful for avoiding long periods of down-time, you don't need to go overboard. Your attacks are consuming far more endurance than your toggles ever will.

And this advice is Soldier specific:

Combat Training: Accuracy is hot garbage. Which is to say, it's actually a reasonably OK power on its own but it's completely overshadowed by another power in the set. Boosting accuracy sounds nice, but accuracy merely modifies the to ToHit roll and it has some pretty hefty diminishing returns. Boosting ToHit directly is significantly stronger; so Tactical Training: Leadership is superior to CT:A and boosts the ToHit of your entire team making everyone better at doing damage. TT:L with nothing slotted at all provides more benefit than CT:A does with an SO slotted.

The Soldier leadership toggles are all very strong. The weakest one is Assault.

Edit: And for build planning, I definitely recommend looking into Mids' Reborn. It's a standalone app that's set up for CoH Homecoming and lets you pick powers at the levels they unlock in game, add slots, and see directly how adding accuracy, damage, and etc. boosts what you're doing. Even if you don't use it to plan a build, being able to see if any of your upcoming powers are huge end-hogs or have unusually long recharge times or do a lot of damage can be helpful.

Edited by PoptartsNinja
  • Like 1