Feedback on new tip system

I'm sure I've seen some folks complain about the constant barrage of new tips - this bit of feedback isn't that. 

As part of my adapting to the new patrol xp in lieu of regular xp for explorations, when I reach a zone for the first time for a given contact, when I enter, I pick the contact out so I have a waypoint to keep me on track. And, I grab the explores along the way. 

I suspect the new tip system is designed for me to open the tip and go to the next badge - and I would do just that - but the tips have me crossing the zone to get one, and then crossing back, instead of grabbing them in a systematic fashion in an efficient manner. So, I tend to just grab the ones on the way to the contact, and snag the others as I pass them doing the arc. 

But now, with the new tip system, whenever I get the tip: 
If I had a mission selected, it gets de-selected. 
If I had a contact selected, it gets de-selected. 

Now, it's a minor annoyance, and it's probably working as intended. 
So, my feedback is it's a minor annoyance. My suggestion is if you keep the current tip system as is, have the tip missions give us the close badge in the zone we don't yet have. No idea how one would code that, but that's my suggestion. 

7 minutes ago, Ukase said:

But now, with the new tip system, whenever I get the tip: 
If I had a mission selected, it gets de-selected. 
If I had a contact selected, it gets de-selected.

That's not new.  Tips have always done that.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

9 minutes ago, Luminara said:

I don't think that's the case...I am obtuse, but I would have noticed my selected missions disappearing from my nav bar when I grabbed a badge. Or...maybe I just never had a mission selected because I was badging...really? 

Well, consider it feedback, still. I want what I selected to stay selected until I get there. Now if I leave the zone, that I get. But in the same zone..nah, that waypoint should remain. 

28 minutes ago, Luminara said:

No, they haven't. I often got tips without losing my current mission marker or contact marker.

1 minute ago, Ukase said:

I don't think that's the case...

It is.  Running tips is my primary activity (which is why i blew up when the tip replacement system started fucking everything up).  Other than leveling up new characters, which I do infrequently, if I'm in the game, I'm probably in a tip mission.

Tips use the contact system, they're basically contacts with a single mission which you "call in" to receive, and no NPC.  It's exactly the same thing that happens with detectives/brokers when you enter a zone for the first time, but since there's no NPC, the game has nothing to display and defaults to an empty nav and mission window.

12 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I would have noticed my selected missions disappearing from my nav bar when I grabbed a badge. Or...maybe I just never had a mission selected because I was badging...really?

A mission which has been locked in, via the Select Task button in the mission window, won't be clear by tips.  That's also not new, I've used that workaround many times.

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

No, they haven't. I often got tips without losing my current mission marker or contact marker.

That it's been an ever-present source of irritation is why I know that using Select Task prevents it from happening.  I became so irritated at having my mission cleared every time a tip dropped (i used to street sweep for tips, before i started micro-managing how i interact with the tip system) that I went looking for a way to stop it from happening, found the Select Task button and decided to give that a try.

That was five years ago.  So yes, they have always done this.  At least in this incarnation of the game.  I almost never ran tips on the original servers.

22 minutes ago, Luminara said:

That it's been an ever-present source of irritation is why I know that using Select Task prevents it from happening. 

That's the thing though. Selecting the task locks the task, so getting a tip drop doesn't clear it. However, the OP says that the author has a mission actively selected, gets a tip drop, and the mission gets deselected, which did not happen before.

1 minute ago, Rudra said:

That's the thing though. Selecting the task locks the task, so getting a tip drop doesn't clear it. However, the OP says that the author has a mission actively selected, gets a tip drop, and the mission gets deselected, which did not happen before.

@Ukase stated that he enters a zone and selects a contact to create a fixed waypoint for reference while badging.  Not a mission, a contact.  That's not going to prevent a tip from clearing the nav window.  Never has, so there's no change in behavior there.

He uses the same phrasing to indicate that he's selected a mission, and since part of his complaint is that's wiped the same way the contact is if a tip drops, when he says he "If I had a mission selected", he's not saying that he used Select Task to lock the mission in, he's just saying that he clicked on the mission to select it.  And, as I've explained, that behavior is also unchanged.

Selecting something and using Select Task are two different actions.  His explanation implies the former, not the latter.  I think you saw "select" and read specificity into it, use of the Select Task button, rather than seeing the broader meaning, selecting a mission/contact by clicking on it.  He selected, not Select Tasked.

And now "select" looks weird because I've read it too many times.  I'm holding you personally responsible for that.  My cats will be in touch with the bill for my therapy.

10 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Selecting something and using Select Task are two different actions.  His explanation implies the former, not the latter.  I think you saw "select" and read specificity into it, use of the Select Task button, rather than seeing the broader meaning, selecting a mission/contact by clicking on it.  He selected, not Select Tasked.

Yeah, you have a point. When I see someone post that they selected a task, I assume they do so with the Select Task button. If the Select Task button was not used and the mission was only clicked, then yeah, that is how it always worked.

Luminara explains it well.   I think now that we get a ton more, it's noticed.

I haven't done a lot of new characters, and I used to run all the exploration and history badges for the Stat enhancing badges (and finishing the zone), but now I try to max the return, but I've only had a couple.

What I do after getting a location badge tip, I open it, and if it's on my way, I'll get it, but I don't change my order because of the tip. And I don't windup with a change of waypoint if i hit an explore on the way unless it's the tip one.