The Officially Unofficial Weekly Discussion #71: Do you design specific characters or explore what can be designed?

On 3/22/2024 at 8:17 PM, lemming said:

And of course, one other way to start with a character:

.......on this challenge, I also roll 2 more 6 sided die: 1st roll = how many times you press the random costume button....and 2nd die = how many items on that costume you can change. I've gotten a few good characters out of this.......limitation can be creative motivation.....thanks TROO!!..........

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:57 AM, DougGraves said:

When you go to make a new character or are using the costume creator for fun (my daughter does that and never plays the actual game) do you have a specific concept or character in mind and make that - or do you explore what can be made and then find something you like?

Bonus question - do you use the random costume generator and how do you use it?

Sometimes I have a name in mind and try to fit powersets to the name. 

Other times I have a concept and find a name and look that fits that.  Some of my prior concept exercises: what's the maximum number of holds you can have (I forget but it was a fire/rad controller with earth mastery, Rularuu lore pets, and Ion Radial)?   What would a fear based character be like (dark/dark stalker with presence pool)?   Can I make a character just using power pools (no, but I had 2 primary, 6 secondary, and SIXTEEN pool powers!  Worked better than I thought it would).

And finally, sometimes I want to play with a new powerset or pool and design a character and name around the powers.

I have tried to use the random costume generator, but I always find them horrific and only used on throw away characters while testing something on test server.

I usually start with a concept. Some of you have already engaged with my various musings on the forums so you might have an idea of what I enjoy playing.

Usually... but not always. Especially if new powers or sets drop then I will often experiment with those. (Oddly enough I've just not had time to get to Arsenal stuff yet so busy with existing characters due to terminal altisis)

I will very frequently use the random button in the CC a few times just to get me started - but I get annoyed with it with all the various animal heads. If there's one thing I'd love it would be for a "lock" option on the rando button so you could lock in costume items you like and further clicks wouldn't change the locked items. That would actually give it some real use!

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I might start out with an idea, but by the time I'm done, it's something else completely... being so influenced by what look appeals to me and plays well.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow