Marvel 1943: Rise Of Hydra

...so, very smooth and atmospheric story trailer. Some of the in-game animation looks early and may need some more work, but backgrounds look suitably gorgeous.

Not sure about Cap's new voice, and he's coming over a little more of Chris Evans' native Bawstaahhn to my ears than Cap's Brooklyn or the cultured Midlantic from the movies.

All four will be playable at different points of the game (having to get into Gabe's jazz stylings would be nice...), plus NPC help from Howard Stark and a Resistance member called Julie (probably not love interest, if Peg has anything to do with it.)

If you're a fairly serious gaming nerd, this is one of the first titles to use Unreal 5.4:

...which I think might be a little taxing for the average PC to run full spec. 

What do we think, True Believers?

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

What do we think, True Believers?

Sweet Baby Inc detected.

That's what I think.

• Sad 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

I'm hyped.  Cap is my favorite Marvel character and the Black Panthers are all interesting.  It will be nice to finally see some of Azzuri's (T'Challa's grandfather) story.   Gabe is an interesting choice and I enjoyed the MCU portrayal.  It would be interesting if he's equipped with the Howling Commandos briefcase of awesome gadgets. (His grandson, Trip, was pretty awesome in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for his short time appearing in the show.  He carried his grandfather's bag of tricks for a time) I'm not sure of the woman's identity, though.  Is she Azzuri's sister? love interest? a Dora Milaje?

I think the thing that concerns me with this Cap version is not the accent.  It's that, what we've been shown so far is more in line personality-wise with John Walker, aka the U.S. Agent (and failed Captain America).  Steve Rogers can be cocky, but his bridge scene feels a bit like an abuse of his authority.

Question: who is the third "super soldier" Cap refers to?  I presume it is a bad guy, and probably tied to HYDRA.  

"...a Resistance member called Julie":  Hmm...is she wearing a red shirt? 'Cause she sounds very disposable for story needs.

EDIT: forgot to mention I like Cap's outfit.  I was just visually brushing over it, until I realized there are distinctive differences between his WWII MCU version and this one.  Most notably, they've removed the suspenders, instead making binders for the shield holder.

Edited by Techwright

19 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Sweet Baby Inc detected.

...is that... good? They've worked on a few things including Spiderman 2, GoW:Ragnarok, and Alan Wake II... so a lot of sequels. Beyond that, no idea.

(I will say they've got the most appallingly designed website I've seen since the days I was mucking around on GeoCities. My eyes... the goggles... they do nothing...)

15 hours ago, Techwright said:

Question: who is the third "super soldier" Cap refers to?  I presume it is a bad guy, and probably tied to HYDRA.  

No idea at this point, but probably, unless we've got timey-wimey-dimension-hoppy-activity going around and that's not great. Or an early version of Red Guardian. Or Peg.

I'm not sure of the woman's identity, though.  Is she Azzuri's sister? love interest? a Dora Milaje?

She's listed as "Nanali". Per the usual Wiki lores, she was Queen of Wakanda back in the Golden Age, while Azzurri was Black Panther. Here's she's introduced as an intel agent, so it may be she becomes Queen after this. And as we've seen from the movies, it's both regular and expected that the royals not only serve, but get their claws dirty.

Also according to the Wiki, Wakanda largely stayed out of WW2, apart from dealing with a couple of Nazi infiltrators like one Colonel Klaue. 

Hmm...is she wearing a red shirt? 'Cause she sounds very disposable for story needs.

Probably, plus a red beret, a packet of Gaulois and a resigned air of ennui. I get annoyed when toons are obviously destined for le frigo and/or traitorous, so let's hope she's got more to contribute than feeding us plot explanations. And that Howard will do more than just being a SANTA type for upgrades plus the odd wisecrack.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

3 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...is that... good? They've worked on a few things including Spiderman 2, GoW:Ragnarok, and Alan Wake II... so a lot of sequels. Beyond that, no idea.

(I will say they've got the most appallingly designed website I've seen since the days I was mucking around on GeoCities. My eyes... the goggles... they do nothing...)

That depends. For people like myself who despise the Woke Message it is not good and a sure sign that I will not be buying that game ever.

YMMV.

• Thumbs Down 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Thanks, Moogs.

…aaaanywaaaay… yes, the thing looks pretty, and I would like it to have substantial gameplay and characters, and preferably not explode my gfx card on minimum setting.

12 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...is that... good? They've worked on a few things including Spiderman 2,

She's listed as "Nanali". Per the usual Wiki lores, she was Queen of Wakanda back in the Golden Age, while Azzurri was Black Panther. Here's she's introduced as an intel agent, so it may be she becomes Queen after this. And as we've seen from the movies, it's both regular and expected that the royals not only serve, but get their claws dirty.

Also according to the Wiki, Wakanda largely stayed out of WW2, apart from dealing with a couple of Nazi infiltrators like one Colonel Klaue.

Not a big fan of Spider-man 2.  I felt the writing was inferior to the first one.  At least Miles has had two rock-solid animated movies to do him justice.  So I'm hoping there's a different writing team, or should it be the same team that worked on Spider-man 1, then I'm hoping they return to form.

Nanali...well, Queen of Wakanda pretty much removes the redshirt idea. 

From what I know of the lore, Wakanda has always focused on the home game, and until recent years, deliberately portrayed themselves as forgettable.  This is not only because they've long had the most advanced technology on the planet, but also sat literally on a mountain of vibranium.  Both of these attributes would have been exploited by both sides in WWII if they could.  A crazy "What If...?" story would happen if either the Stalinists or the Nazis took Wakanda.  (Likely a phyrric victory, though.) And to be honest, there are factions with the other allies that would have exploited these, too.

• 2 weeks later
  • 3 weeks later