Confusion on Overwhelming Force unique enhancement

It does both.  It converts knockback to knockdown AND adds a chance for knockdown.  However, my understanding is that the chance for KD can trigger alongside a power's normal knockdown/knockback, resulting in a stacking knockdown that causes a knockback anyway.  Because of that I personally don't use it as a KB>KD and usually stick it in a power that doesn't have any knock to begin with and one that benefits from damage buffs.  Typically I put it in an AoE damage power like Irradiate, Sweeping Strike, Fire Ball, etc. where it also benefits from the damage enhancement component as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Left 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

4 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

However, my understanding is that the chance for KD can trigger alongside a power's normal knockdown/knockback, resulting in a stacking knockdown that causes a knockback anyway. 

I use it for kb>kd and have never seen this happen.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Yeah, that was fixed in Issue 27 page 2.

"Enhancements > Overwhelming Force > Knockback to Knockdown: Fixed this proc not always converting to knockdown when stacked with other knockback effects"

It's also worth noting that unless anything's changed recently (I know it says "2.5PPM" currently in CoDv2 but I can't see anything obvious in the patch notes...) Overwhelming Force is one of the very few enhancements that has a "chance for" something which does NOT operate based on PPM - it gives a 20% chance to inflict additional KD upon power activation regardless of the recharge enhancement slotting in the power.

Edited by Maelwys

On 3/31/2024 at 7:22 PM, Maelwys said:

It's also worth noting that unless anything's changed recently (I know it says "2.5PPM" currently in CoDv2 but I can't see anything obvious in the patch notes...) Overwhelming Force is one of the very few enhancements that has a "chance for" something which does NOT operate based on PPM - it gives a 20% chance to inflict additional KD upon power activation regardless of the recharge enhancement slotting in the power.

I've been told that the PPM in CoD (all hail UberGuy) is correct, not the straight 20% chance.

I missed that in the patch notes.  The "convert knockback to knockdown" process is or at least was that it takes the current knockback (which is a number greater than 1), divides it by 10 which results in a number less than 1 (which is knockdown).  What would happen is that sometimes the proc would activate and the additive value of KB would be over 1 and so most of the time it's knockdown but occasionally you get two triggers and a knockback.  I should test this again.

Who run Bartertown?

16 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

The "convert knockback to knockdown" process is or at least was that it takes the current knockback (which is a number greater than 1), divides it by 10 which results in a number less than 1 (which is knockdown).  What would happen is that sometimes the proc would activate and the additive value of KB would be over 1 and so most of the time it's knockdown but occasionally you get two triggers and a knockback.  I should test this again.

There's a line in the Proc effects itself (linked above) that reads:
"-1000% Knockup, Knockback Strength (self only) for 10.25s"

That should reduce any stacking KB to KD again.