cannot stack objects. anything.

my goal is to stack things.  currently pillars.  to make pillars about hundred feet high, maybe more.  but anytime i use the F1 gris disabled, f5 attach to object the best it does is try to attach at a right angle to the pillar.  i cannot even put things on tables.  unless only specific items are coded to stack on tables and the random stuff i am trying is not it.  i know stuff stacks.  i seen it.  just cannot do it.  

any help?

You really should take the time to watch the videos Dacy put together.  They're very informative and will answer quite a lot of these questions you've been posting about.

@Snarky To elaborate a bit on what Etched suggested:  Setting grid to 1/4 makes the pieces "socket into place properly".  However, some (most, perhaps- the technology pillar being the single exception that I can think of) have open, rather than closed, ends and do not stack on top of one another lengthwise.  Because of this, to stack pillars you have to overlay one on top of the other, then use shift to push them "up".

Yes, this is a titanic, tedious pain in the ass.  Sorry. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Triumphant
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Etched said:

@Snarky, I would suggest you change your grid size to 1/4 and place the items on each other and then use Shift to raise the items so the look continuous. 

@Etched

I am trying that.  It is absolutely not working.  And someone jusy showed me they were doing it.  My shift key causes no change in objects behavior

2 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

@Snarky To elaborate a bit on what Etched suggested:  Setting grid to 1/4 makes the pieces "socket into place properly".  However, some (most, perhaps- the technology pillar being the single exception that I can think of) have open, rather than closed, end and do not stack on top of one another lengthwise.  Because of this, to stack pillars you have to overlay one on top of the other, then use shift to push them "up".

Yes, this is a titanic, tedious pain in the ass.  Sorry. 🤷‍♂️ 

not working, and someone just showed me they could do it.

So Complicated GIFs | Tenor

Huh.  I'm completely stumped, then.  I do second @ZacKing suggestion that you watch Dacy's tutorial videos, though.  That is how I learned to do 99% of everything that I can do with bases.  Watching tutorials can be sort of tedious, I know- but there's really no substitute for just sitting down and watching a pro explain it step-by-step.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

Huh.  I'm completely stumped, then.  I do second @ZacKing suggestion that you watch Dacy's tutorial videos, though.  That is how I learned to do 99% of everything that I can do with bases.  Watching tutorials can be sort of tedious, I know- but there's really no substitute for just sitting down and watching a pro explain it step-by-step.

figured the issue.  I did not realize you had to place the piece.  Then regrab it and move it.

So, the full procedure is.

1 Place 1st pillar

2 Place 2nd pillar same place as 1st  (actually place it, drop it like it is there permanent)

3 Re-Grab 2nd pillar, shift, left mouse and scroll, pillar moves up/down

with F3 set to clipping enabled.

Pillars are floor items, f5 set to floor

To attack blocks platform, decorations at top change f5 to object attachment.  

To anyone who is interested or encountered similar "basic" questions that are blown past in videos on how to rotate things 90 degrees and insert through a keyhole.   

Now I need to figure how to get things to align.  

Which I am sure somewill will say "You just place it and then it aligns itself"

Leaving out steps, 2, 5. 6 , and 8 including settings on various F keys and assumptions that you are doing it the way they always do.

Edited by Snarky
  • Thanks 1

• Retired Community Rep

I believe I have addressed how to rotate 90 degrees in my video on editing commands , but quickly, you just right click.

The editing surfaces in the first tab will help you get things where you want them. The surface tower (I'd use the one without (col) collision) acts like a floor, so you can run things up the central tower to the desired height, and you can use the flat flaps as floor surfaces.

It is not typical to lift things using the mouse scroll; I'm thinking you have programmed your mouse to work a little differently!

On aligning things:  things will align easily if they are set on a grid, it's a matter of getting a good camera angle (item placement is determined by where camera angle, mouse pointer, and item's attachment orientation all meet; so if you are looking across the base instead of angled down, items want to go across the base instead of right in front of you) and just getting close enough to see that you're lined up. I usually check from a couple of angles if I'm not sure. Using the grid on surface tiles is very helpful. If you have lifted something up and want to align after you lift it, hold control as you move it (Start holding control BEFORE you move it) and it will maintain its height. If you do not have the grid set to anything (i.e. Disabled), you will have to get VERY close and be very precise to align it, and even then...it's really difficult to get it exactly. But is possible.

I'd be happy to come in and help you figure things out, but I do recommend watching the video first, I tried to make it comprehensive and helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dacy said:

I believe I have addressed how to rotate 90 degrees in my video on editing commands , but quickly, you just right click.

The editing surfaces in the first tab will help you get things where you want them. The surface tower (I'd use the one without (col) collision) acts like a floor, so you can run things up the central tower to the desired height, and you can use the flat flaps as floor surfaces.

It is not typical to lift things using the mouse scroll; I'm thinking you have programmed your mouse to work a little differently!

On aligning things:  things will align easily if they are set on a grid, it's a matter of getting a good camera angle (item placement is determined by where camera angle, mouse pointer, and item's attachment orientation all meet; so if you are looking across the base instead of angled down, items want to go across the base instead of right in front of you) and just getting close enough to see that you're lined up. I usually check from a couple of angles if I'm not sure. Using the grid on surface tiles is very helpful. If you have lifted something up and want to align after you lift it, hold control as you move it (Start holding control BEFORE you move it) and it will maintain its height. If you do not have the grid set to anything (i.e. Disabled), you will have to get VERY close and be very precise to align it, and even then...it's really difficult to get it exactly. But is possible.

I'd be happy to come in and help you figure things out, but I do recommend watching the video first, I tried to make it comprehensive and helpful.

just one question... what does this mean?  it appears to be in english.  but the meaning eludes me  

the first tab of what?  where?

are we talking there are surfaces you are building with in the 1st tab of...?

is this an editing conversation instead? you are editing a surface picked elsewhere?  

The editing surfaces in the first tab

• Retired Community Rep

Ooof, sorry. I was assuming that we were talking about the editor, so it would be the first tab of the base editor when you're in editing mode! Sorry for the confusion.

• Retired Community Rep

Did that help? Do you understand what I meant, and do you have an understanding of what to do? I am happy to come help however I can; I can screen share, I can step you through things, and more. Just let me know. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1