Spines/Bio Tips/Guides/Help?

LongHalloween

Like the title says, I've made a Spines/Bio Armor Scrapper. The concept seemed pretty need to me, and I like the DoT and how the crits work with lethal damage, but I hit something of a wall near the Hollow and King's Row. I'm not sure if I'm picking all the right powers and putting enhancement slots where they need to be. I'm also not sure about what other powers from the power pool I should be picking to go along with it. The only one I've chosen so far was fly, since I felt it fit the character, but is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Bio is a bit squishy at the start since it is an armor set that gives up protection for damage. Spines is a bit... weak these days. It's old and needs a tune up from the devs.

So we can start by saying you seem to be low level as Hollow/King's Row would put you under level 20. But your problem seems to come from not knowing how to slot. I'm going to say to take a look at the newbie guide in my signature to get you started making currency (it's easy, it involves playing the game and throwing stuff at the Auction House), then grab the Mids program so that you can do and read the builds posted on the forums.

I know you made a Scrapper and might prefer to just beat things without having expectations from you as you learn the game, but consider a Tanker. Unlike other games there are no demands on knowing routes, defensive cooldown juggling, team composition and being forced to lead. Over City of Heroes it's a lot more chill. You will do less damage than a Scrapper, of course, but also be more durable. The (near) immortal build in my signature is a good beginner friendly build and I can even spot you the money to buy the two initial uniques the build requires.

But back to the Spines/Bio do grab Mids so you can read the builds we will post to help you. Gambare gambare, LongHalloween!

2 hours ago, LongHalloween said:

I'm not sure if I'm picking all the right powers and putting enhancement slots where they need to be

Post a screenshot of your powers and slots and mention your level. Very detailed comments will come rushing in.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Sovera said:

Bio is a bit squishy at the start since it is an armor set that gives up protection for damage. Spines is a bit... weak these days. It's old and needs a tune up from the devs.

So we can start by saying you seem to be low level as Hollow/King's Row would put you under level 20. But your problem seems to come from not knowing how to slot. I'm going to say to take a look at the newbie guide in my signature to get you started making currency (it's easy, it involves playing the game and throwing stuff at the Auction House), then grab the Mids program so that you can do and read the builds posted on the forums.

I know you made a Scrapper and might prefer to just beat things without having expectations from you as you learn the game, but consider a Tanker. Unlike other games there are no demands on knowing routes, defensive cooldown juggling, team composition and being forced to lead. Over City of Heroes it's a lot more chill. You will do less damage than a Scrapper, of course, but also be more durable. The (near) immortal build in my signature is a good beginner friendly build and I can even spot you the money to buy the two initial uniques the build requires.

But back to the Spines/Bio do grab Mids so you can read the builds we will post to help you. Gambare gambare, LongHalloween!

I appreciate you pointing out the guides in your signature. I've skimmed over your newcomer guide a bit enough to make use of the P2W vendor's powers and enhancements. I'll give it and a few more guides a more in-depth read when I have more free time on my hands.

I might honestly make a tank alt to get acquainted with the game and not have to worry about being too squishy. If so, I'll probably use a different powerset and rely on a guide to help me pick something solid. That said, I do want to try and work with this current build and see how I can make it the best it can be, even if spines is in need of some dev attention. Also, I'll make sure to download Mids in the near future. For now, though, let me just post a screenshot of my current powers and slots setup.

20 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Post a screenshot of your powers and slots and mention your level. Very detailed comments will come rushing in.

spacer.png

Here are my current powers and slots. I can pull something from Mids once I install it if people need it. Not pictured are the prestige powers mutagen, blackwand, and undead-slaying axe I picked up after reading a little bit from Sovera's starter guide. I'm only Level 10, so I don't have too many powers under my belt at the moment. Right now, I'm thinking that I should focus more on bio powers to improve my durability, but if anyone else has other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Edited by LongHalloween
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, LongHalloween said:

I appreciate you pointing out the guides in your signature. I've skimmed over your newcomer guide a bit enough to make use of the P2W vendor's powers and enhancements. I'll give it and a few more guides a more in-depth read when I have more free time on my hands.

I might honestly make a tank alt to get acquainted with the game and not have to worry about being too squishy. If so, I'll probably use a different powerset and rely on a guide to help me pick something solid. That said, I do want to try and work with this current build and see how I can make it the best it can be, even if spines is in need of some dev attention. Also, I'll make sure to download Mids in the near future. For now, though, let me just post a screenshot of my current powers and slots setup.

The (near) immortal build is purpose handpicked for being cheap and start early, and it has starter leveling builds. I really recommend starting with this as by level 13 it lives to its namesake and you can play at 0x6.

Now, there are no fast and easy answers regarding the Spines/Bio. To improve you will need money. Start selling those Merits as you earn them, keep the difficulty low, keep doing missions from contacts to the end for said merits that come at the last mission.

To improve on your survivability you will want to always keep your inspirations stocked up and though the base teleporter costs 1 million it's pretty useful in that aspect since you can use it every 10 minutes and hit a base between missions to replenish on Lucks and healths. Every other inspiration is not as useful as having just purples and greens. Keep one purple up all the time, use a second one if you feel that you're in trouble. They cost 50 inf so there's no point in saving them.

The rest costs some money. You will want both defense uniques for a nice boost (the same the (near) immortal build uses. They are a staple on nearly every build), three defense slots allocated to both Hardened Carapace and Environmental Modification. Don't bother with Inexhaustible just yet

Once you get Adaptation you have three to choose from. Stick to Offensive for more damage since the faster you defeat mobs the less time they have to hurt you back.

Get DNA Siphon and Ablative as soon as you can and slot three heal and three recharge right away.

For attacks stick to one accuracy and three damage. Add one endurance reduction and one recharge when you have the free slots.

Slotting with SOs (the vendor gear) or generic IOs is so simple it does not actually require builds. Don't place more than three of one kind (accuracy, damage, resistance, etc), put defense in defense slots, put resistance in resistance slots, one accuracy and three damage in attacks, etc. It's very straight forward. The trouble is when we enter actual IOs because of all the bonuses involved.

One thing that will help you is simply to team. CoH thrives on teaming unlike other MMOs where you're supposed to be solo until max level. You can start teaming at level 1 and that will improve your XP, your survival, etc, because there will be buffs and people to share agro. Soloing is fine (I solo all the time) but without at least some gear and a solid base you will feel squishy and slow which might turn you off the game.

Since all gear is account bound this slow start is a... well, pretty much a one time thing. You can pass the money and the expensive gear to another alt so it doesn't have to start with nothing. Speaking of part of your squishyness would be mitigated if you had Amplifiers but now it's too late as they grow more expensive with each level. Never forget to pick them up at level 1 since you will get 8 hours of strong buffs for a meager 23k.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Sovera said:

The (near) immortal build is purpose handpicked for being cheap and start early, and it has starter leveling builds. I really recommend starting with this as by level 13 it lives to its namesake and you can play at 0x6.

Now, there are no fast and easy answers regarding the Spines/Bio. To improve you will need money. Start selling those Merits as you earn them, keep the difficulty low, keep doing missions from contacts to the end for said merits that come at the last mission.

To improve on your survivability you will want to always keep your inspirations stocked up and though the base teleporter costs 1 million it's pretty useful in that aspect since you can use it every 10 minutes and hit a base between missions to replenish on Lucks and healths. Every other inspiration is not as useful as having just purples and greens. Keep one purple up all the time, use a second one if you feel that you're in trouble. They cost 50 inf so there's no point in saving them.

The rest costs some money. You will want both defense uniques for a nice boost (the same the (near) immortal build uses. They are a staple on nearly every build), three defense slots allocated to both Hardened Carapace and Environmental Modification. Don't bother with Inexhaustible just yet

Once you get Adaptation you have three to choose from. Stick to Offensive for more damage since the faster you defeat mobs the less time they have to hurt you back.

Get DNA Siphon and Ablative as soon as you can and slot three heal and three recharge right away.

For attacks stick to one accuracy and three damage. Add one endurance reduction and one recharge when you have the free slots.

Slotting with SOs (the vendor gear) or generic IOs is so simple it does not actually require builds. Don't place more than three of one kind (accuracy, damage, resistance, etc), put defense in defense slots, put resistance in resistance slots, one accuracy and three damage in attacks, etc. It's very straight forward. The trouble is when we enter actual IOs because of all the bonuses involved.

One thing that will help you is simply to team. CoH thrives on teaming unlike other MMOs where you're supposed to be solo until max level. You can start teaming at level 1 and that will improve your XP, your survival, etc, because there will be buffs and people to share agro. Soloing is fine (I solo all the time) but without at least some gear and a solid base you will feel squishy and slow which might turn you off the game.

Since all gear is account bound this slow start is a... well, pretty much a one time thing. You can pass the money and the expensive gear to another alt so it doesn't have to start with nothing. Speaking of part of your squishyness would be mitigated if you had Amplifiers but now it's too late as they grow more expensive with each level. Never forget to pick them up at level 1 since you will get 8 hours of strong buffs for a meager 23k.

Tidbits for me to keep in mind for the immediate future:

-4 slots for my offensive powers (3 damage, 1 accuracy enhancements)

-pick up DNA siphon, ablative, and adaptation as my next powers

-3 slots for hardened carapace and environmental modification (all defense), DNA siphon (3 heal), and ablative (3 recharge)

-sell merits to  pick up the base teleporter

There's a bit more to think on, and I still need to read that guide of yours in-depth, but these seem like the most immediate choices to make. Spines/bio doesn't seem like a popular or commonly thought of combo, so it doesn't surprise me that there isn't a guide out there for this, but I'm happy to work through this and trial-and-error my way into something relatively viable.

EDIT: this feels like a silly question, but brawl doesn't really need/deserve slots, right? I mostly keep it on my taskbar as something to quickly tap when my other powers are on cooldown, but I have a feeling it will be replaced in the future by something else that fits the niche but is stronger. Also, any tips or suggestions for pool powers?

Edited by LongHalloween
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, LongHalloween said:

Tidbits for me to keep in mind for the immediate future:

-4 slots for my offensive powers (3 damage, 1 accuracy enhancements)

-pick up DNA siphon, ablative, and adaptation as my next powers

-3 slots for hardened carapace and environmental modification (all defense), DNA siphon (3 heal), and ablative (3 recharge)

-sell merits to  pick up the base teleporter

There's a bit more to think on, and I still need to read that guide of yours in-depth, but these seem like the most immediate choices to make. Spines/bio doesn't seem like a popular or commonly thought of combo, so it doesn't surprise me that there isn't a guide out there for this, but I'm happy to work through this and trial-and-error my way into something relatively viable.

EDIT: this feels like a silly question, but brawl doesn't really need/deserve slots, right? I mostly keep it on my taskbar as something to quickly tap when my other powers are on cooldown, but I have a feeling it will be replaced in the future by something else that fits the niche but is stronger. Also, any tips or suggestions for pool powers?

Brawl is just a filler for very early levels so no slots there.

Pool powers: the only 'good ones' can be boiled down to:

1- Travel power of your choice. First thing to pick. I like Flying and I'm permanently using Hover but pick whatever. I suggest Super Jump if you don't don't like Fly and always have Combat Jumping turned on to do small jumps for mobility while only using Super Jump for long distances. Remember to turn off your travel power of choice while in combat since it consumes endurance, but Hover/Combat Jumping should be left always on as it costs near zero endurance and gives a small 2% defense boost that adds up (both defense uniques give 3% so it's 6%, then another 2% from Combat Jumping or Hover makes it go to 8%, then Maneuvers for another 2% and it's 10%. Bio Armor's Environmental Modification gives 11.2% native defense and with three slots it becomes 17.8%. With those 10% stacked up from above you're now at 27.8%. You want 45% so it's already half way there).

2 - Hasten from Super Speed. Big 70% recharge boost while it is on. Triple recharge in it. You can save a travel power by just picking Super Speed next. While Super Speed doesn't do vertical well you can also pick Combat Jumping to go with it (and have that 2% defense) or buy a 5k jetpack from the START vendor and activate it for those moments.

3 - Maneuvers from Leadership. It's a small 2-3% defense boost but it adds up.

4 - Fighting. Punch/Kick are just forced picks and not meant to be used. The real picks are Tough which increases smash and lethal resistances and then Weave that increases all defenses.

There are a lot of other pools but quantity does not mean quality. Attacks from pools will always be worse than your primary attacks as a design choice so the four I suggested are pretty much the usual all builds go for unless aiming for something niche.

It's worth noting that you could take Sorcery and use Mystic Flight as your travel power and then pick the Rune of Protection for a one minute defensive boost but due to its downtime its not something you can rely on other than a panic button.

Edited by Sovera

I think I have everything Leob/Sale did together, hate Sale is gone.

Anyway, here is my spines/bio.  It is expensive but is an aoe machine and not too squishy.  

If you only have four slots for attacks, 2 damage, 1 acc, 1 end redux.  Unless your end is fine then don't worry about it.  I'd not get the two damage auras until your end is fine.  It's been a few years but seems like end was an issue on mine until 50.  

Toxic Thrax - Scrapper (Spines) 03 10 24 with Ripper 2.mbd

Also, Ripper has two different power animations now, just in case you didn't know.  I like the non flip one myself so just recently respec'd back into it.  

This is one of my top 3 scrappers too btw.  I think I'm up to 12 or so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sovera said:

Brawl is just a filler for very early levels so no slots there.

Pool powers: the only 'good ones' can be boiled down to:

1- Travel power of your choice. First thing to pick. I like Flying and I'm permanently using Hover but pick whatever. I suggest Super Jump if you don't don't like Fly and always have Combat Jumping turned on to do small jumps for mobility while only using Super Jump for long distances. Remember to turn off your travel power of choice while in combat since it consumes endurance, but Hover/Combat Jumping should be left always on as it costs near zero endurance and gives a small 2% defense boost that adds up (both defense uniques give 3% so it's 6%, then another 2% from Combat Jumping or Hover makes it go to 8%, then Maneuvers for another 2% and it's 10%. Bio Armor's Environmental Modification gives 11.2% native defense and with three slots it becomes 17.8%. With those 10% stacked up from above you're now at 27.8%. You want 45% so it's already half way there).

2 - Hasten from Super Speed. Big 70% recharge boost while it is on. Triple recharge in it. You can save a travel power by just picking Super Speed next. While Super Speed doesn't do vertical well you can also pick Combat Jumping to go with it (and have that 2% defense) or buy a 5k jetpack from the START vendor and activate it for those moments.

3 - Maneuvers from Leadership. It's a small 2-3% defense boost but it adds up.

4 - Fighting. Punch/Kick are just forced picks and not meant to be used. The real picks are Tough which increases smash and lethal resistances and then Weave that increases all defenses.

There are a lot of other pools but quantity does not mean quality. Attacks from pools will always be worse than your primary attacks as a design choice so the four I suggested are pretty much the usual all builds go for unless aiming for something niche.

It's worth noting that you could take Sorcery and use Mystic Flight as your travel power and then pick the Rune of Protection for a one minute defensive boost but due to its downtime its not something you can rely on other than a panic button.

I'll make a note of these pool powers (as well as the ones in Thraxen's Mids file) and work them in as I level up.

2 hours ago, Thraxen said:

I think I have everything Leob/Sale did together, hate Sale is gone.

Anyway, here is my spines/bio.  It is expensive but is an aoe machine and not too squishy.  

If you only have four slots for attacks, 2 damage, 1 acc, 1 end redux.  Unless your end is fine then don't worry about it.  I'd not get the two damage auras until your end is fine.  It's been a few years but seems like end was an issue on mine until 50.  

Toxic Thrax - Scrapper (Spines) 03 10 24 with Ripper 2.mbd 48.24 kB · 0 downloads

Appreciate the file. I'll keep an eye on it and use it as a reference as I build up my character.

All this advice has made me feel a lot more confident about power selections and enhancement slots, which I feel like will be most of my focus for the time being. At some point in the future I can worry about sets.

I play a spines/bio as a brute myself due to the larger resistance caps and HP pool.

Bio in itself really likes recharge and slow resistance. After that it's about layering defense/resistance. 

As with any powersets combo they really start coming online in the 30's when you have an attack chain and a decent array of defensive powers. Once you toss set IOs in it though you'll really be tearing it up. My spines/bio brute fully slotted with set IOs does pretty well and solo'd his way through the maria Jenkins arcs and also killed Mot solo.

I think your scrapper just needs more time to develop.