Scorpion Shield not affected by external buffs

macskull

Scorpion Shield for Blasters, Controllers, Dominators, Defenders, Corruptors, and Masterminds is incorrectly flagged to ignore external strength boosts. The power has toxic resistance but this resistance is not able to be enhanced. This application of “ignores external strength boosts” is inconsistent with how it is applied to other powers which grant both resistance and defense.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

What about the other Epic Armor which is both Def and Res: Frozen Armor - https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=epic.defender_ice_mastery.frozen_armor

It appears to have the same flag.  Maybe this should be looked at in a batch, good find Macskool.

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

4 hours ago, Shin Magmus said:

What about the other Epic Armor which is both Def and Res: Frozen Armor - https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=epic.defender_ice_mastery.frozen_armor

It appears to have the same flag.  Maybe this should be looked at in a batch, good find Macskool.

Frozen Armor's +res can be enhanced, so the power has to be flagged that way.

46 minutes ago, Crysis said:

I was under the impression that any power that applies both a +Def and +Res effect is unaffected by outside boosts like Power Boost and the two shields from Cold?  

Any power that applies both defense and enhanceable resistance is flagged to ignore outside buffs, otherwise the resistance portion would be affected by the caster’s damage bonus. Powers that apply unenhanceable resistance do not need this flag, which is the case for Scorpion Shield.

• Thumbs Up 1

For clarity, Scorpion Shield's +Resistance is NOT unenhanceable in the way that prevents it from being boosted by Damage buffs; the power itself just does not accept Resist Damage enhancements. The +Resistance is grants can be enhanced if you can find a way to sneak Resist Damage or Damage enhancements in there, like maybe with Hami-Os? I can't remember if that's still a thing you can do.

For +Resistance in a power to be truly unenhanceable, it needs the flag that says "Ignores enhancements and other boosts" with the little lock icon to the left of the +Resistance value on City of Data, as seen on Deflection Shield.

Scorpion Shield cannot be slotted for Damage Resistance, but it's +Resistance IS enhanceable, so that's why the whole power is flagged to ignore external strength boosts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 12:27 PM, Trickshooter said:

For clarity, Scorpion Shield's +Resistance is NOT unenhanceable in the way that prevents it from being boosted by Damage buffs; the power itself just does not accept Resist Damage enhancements. The +Resistance is grants can be enhanced if you can find a way to sneak Resist Damage or Damage enhancements in there, like maybe with Hami-Os? I can't remember if that's still a thing you can do.

For +Resistance in a power to be truly unenhanceable, it needs the flag that says "Ignores enhancements and other boosts" with the little lock icon to the left of the +Resistance value on City of Data, as seen on Deflection Shield.

Scorpion Shield cannot be slotted for Damage Resistance, but it's +Resistance IS enhanceable, so that's why the whole power is flagged to ignore external strength boosts.

This is the correct answer. It's the same reason "Power Up" for Dominators does not affect "Link Minds". It does not take resist-focused enhancements / sets, but it is resist-enhanceable via Hami-Os. Ergo, no outside boost affects it.

You sorta saw that sort of design take front row when Widows were introduced as an Archetype (same issue I believe). "Mind Link" is not enhanceable by recharge-focused enhancements. Then IOs came along.

Edited by brass_eagle
additional reasoning

On 4/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, Trickshooter said:

These two methods of preventing boosts are functionally equivalent from a player-facing standpoint. Considering the slotting oddities with Hami-O's haven't been possible since Issue 21 (22? I don't remember), there's zero reason for the power to behave as it currently does.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:41 AM, brass_eagle said:

You sorta saw that sort of design take front row when Widows were introduced as an Archetype (same issue I believe). "Mind Link" is not enhanceable by recharge-focused enhancements. Then IOs came along.

IOs predate VEATs by over a year. Mind Link has never allowed recharge enhancements, but it's always been affected by the recharge portion of set IOs. It used to be affected by Hami-O's with a recharge aspect, but that was fixed sometime before shutdown.

15 hours ago, macskull said:

IOs predate VEATs by over a year. Mind Link has never allowed recharge enhancements, but it's always been affected by the recharge portion of set IOs. It used to be affected by Hami-O's with a recharge aspect, but that was fixed sometime before shutdown.

My memory was a bit off there eh? Yeah, you are right there about the VEATs. Either way, it is the enhancement-flag preventing it if prevailing spaghetti code wisdom follows. Whether it should be enhanceable (affected by HOs / Cardiac / enable resistance enh) or increased by buffs is up to the team. The biggest implication is for Clarion holders and Dominators... since Link Minds is in the same scenario and a good chuck of sets have "Power Up".