Old School Vision and Retro Vision don't seem to do anything

Zhym

The "Old School Vision" and "Retro Vision" powers don't seem to do anything when I activate them.  Is that happening for anyone else?

I'm on a Mac, FWIW.  I assume that's the reason (probably something related to WINE).

Posted (edited)

There is an option in the game settings to allow for full-screen effects like that, called Desaturation effects I think? Make sure you have it enabled. The new vision temp powers use that effect; it was previously only used for flashback/ouroboros missions where you go back in time.

Edited by Trickshooter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

28 minutes ago, Zhym said:

The "Old School Vision" and "Retro Vision" powers don't seem to do anything when I activate them.  Is that happening for anyone else?

I'm on a Mac, FWIW.  I assume that's the reason (probably something related to WINE).

What are your current graphics settings?

5 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

What are your current graphics settings?

From what I can tell, my graphics settings don't seem to make a difference in whether Old School Vision or Retro Vision work.  I normally run around with various Advanced Mode settings set mostly for performance that doesn't look too bad.  But I tried disabling Advanced Graphics Settings and setting the graphics quality everywhere from Performance to Ultra, and still, Old School Vision and Retro Vision didn't do anything.  

26 minutes ago, Trickshooter said:

There is an option in the game settings to allow for full-screen effects like that, called Desaturation effects I think? Make sure you have it enabled. The new vision temp powers use that effect; it was previously only used for flashback/ouroboros missions where you go back in time.

That seems likely.  Mine is currently set to "N/A" and I don't see a way to change it.  Is there a different option I need to set to enable this?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Zhym said:

That seems likely.  Mine is currently set to "N/A" and I don't see a way to change it.  Is there a different option I need to set to enable this?

It might require higher graphics setting being enabled, but I couldn't tell you which, I didn't think it could be N/A. Could just be a limitation with running the game on a Mac, but I'm not sure. I would say turn up the graphics settings as high as you reasonably can and see if it becomes an option, and if it does, then roll your settings back to where you're comfortable and see what disables it as an option as you go.

Edit: I might also be misremembering, but I think I remember something like this coming up years ago and that the sepia/black and white filters needed you to be in fullscreen mode, in case you were in windowed mode. I'm not at home to check whether that's the case or not, but figured I'd mention it just in case.

Edited by Trickshooter

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration | Light Affinity | Force Shield | Wild Instincts | Crystallization
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

I remember reading Probability Distortion a few months back and thinking it was the best player proposed set I'd ever seen. - Arbiter Hawk 💚

8 minutes ago, Trickshooter said:

It might require higher graphics setting being enabled, but I couldn't tell you which, I didn't think it could be N/A. Could just be a limitation with running the game on a Mac, but I'm not sure. I would say turn up the graphics settings as high as you reasonably can and see if it becomes an option, and if it does, then roll your settings back to where you're comfortable and see what disables it as an option as you go.

I tried maxing everything I could, but nothing enabled the Desaturation effects option.  Could be WINE, could be my Mac Mini's Intel 630 graphics card.