Option to include @Global in Chat

9 minutes ago, Laucianna said:

Maybe lets get back onto the topic of the suggestion? I am still fully for it as long as it is a toggle on option and if the devs want to add it ❤️ 

Hey shut up! Luminara's saying nice things about me, for a change. 😁

Ok, back on topic. I don't really care if this is implemented or not. I do however suspect that the OP's actual reason for wanting this is as a first step to trying to get the devs to allow names to no longer be unique by allowing the global@charactername method, as discussed in the most recent name release thread.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Luminara's saying nice things about me, for a change. 😁

Fart face.

• Haha 2

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:37 AM, UltraAlt said:

I don't think that you should stop making suggestions that you think will help other people simply because I or anyone else disagrees with you.

Plenty of people disagree with me, but I still make suggestions from time to time.

You are getting much more feedback on this thread than I usually get when I make suggestions and that means you hit on something that people want to discuss.

Don't get disheartened when the discussion doesn't go your way.

Though I am against it for the reasons that I listed, some people would obviously like this option.

You probably game with some of them, so why not bring it up to them that you posted this here on the forums and ask them to come to the forums and comment about

Just a thought.

I'm not disheartened about posting because someone disagrees with me. Lots of people disagree with me about lots of things, that's fine. The world would probably be even more messed up if everyone agreed with me about everything.

It's the way that disagreement comes up that makes me question if posting about anything in this community is worth it anymore. Not just disagreeing, but how the threat gets turned into a diatribe about how this is just a tool for stalking and hate crimes. It feels like the environment has been lost to echo chambers I don't want to be a part of. I don't feel welcome here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am for this. I just want you to have turn this ON and not have me turn it OFF.

18 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Serious question: why ismy experience on the internet so wildly different from the norm?

no idea. I have been on the Internet for as long.

And have had exactly two experiences.

One was on a photography website, where I found out that this person had multiple reports against them and, despite being banned many times, always found a way to get back on.🤷‍♂️

Also, I have been hacked exactly once, whereas a friend has gone through it many times. 🤷‍♂️

I have a tendency not to back down or out of an argument/discussion. 

With the wrong person ... it can will go bad.

Nowadays, everyone is right—no, this person is more right; that person is even more right.

Our forums are the perfect example.

There are a few loud voices that always have to be right. God forbid you disagree with them.

I find myself commenting less and less.

Look at how many threads devolve into bickering.

Bickering over things not really connected to the OP.

"Solutions" being offered that really don't solve the problem.

The recent Instanced Hami thread is a good example.

"Stalkers go after the weaker."

• IRL, for sure. As a runner, I can share horror stories of women being harassed while running.
  • Online interactions differ; fragile egos may react strongly to disagreement.

"It hasn't ever happened to me, so why is it an issue?"

• See the first above example. Over 40 years, I have never had an issue. If you have one, why should I acknowledge it? Why should it matter to me?
  • A statement akin to this shows a complete lack of empathy.

"If you want privacy, you have something to hide."

• No
  • Why do you need to get into my business

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Forums  - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

Spam Response- Spam, in the context of cybersecurity, refers to any unsolicited and often irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent over the internet. 

8 hours ago, Starhammer said:

Not just disagreeing, but how the threat gets turned into a diatribe about how this is just a tool for stalking and hate crimes. It feels like the environment has been lost to echo chambers I don't want to be a part of. I don't feel welcome here.

I would take time to look at my signature.

There are people that would ruin my experience in the forum if not for putting them on ignore.

I don't want to have to do it, but I'm here to share information and discuss things with people can do so without .... what you are running into.

Try to start using the function for ignoring those that you feel are using the forms for "stalking and hate crimes".

There is at least one player that seems to just search for my posts just to thumb them down. I don't really care when it comes to that. It's annoying but they aren't posting an attack against me, so I can let that slide.

There are those here in the thread that are still supporting your idea.

Look at the positives, ignore the attacks, and discuss with those that you feel reasonably disagree with you.

I have discuss a lot of things here with people that disagree with me. Sometimes it comes to the point - pretty quickly - in some cases where one or both of us realize that we have both made our case on the situation, and it's time to agree to disagree. I don't have to attack them. I don't hate them because they won't "see things my way". I think that they have just as might right to their opinion as I have to mine.

In the end, the discussions we have here only have one final arbitrator, and that's the DEVs.

They know how they want to spend their time and if something catches their eye and they think they can do it - and can fit it in with the other stuff that they are already working on - then it might have a chance of happening.

One of the biggest hurdles that any suggestion comes down to can the old cobbled-together-code handle it without causing the game to lag too much, crash a zone, or crash completely.

I think the DEVs have a pretty good ideas of where that line is. But I don't think they want to just say "never going to happen" to any of us when we bring up ideas ... regardless of how good they are if they could be put into the game successfully but it just can't happen.

As players we can can of poke around, pull at threads of information that we have, and kind of guess that the kind of things that would probably be impossible because of previous information that we have seen.

For example, the Null the Gull options can never be put into the options menu. They were put into Null the Gull as work around. They apparently can't even fix that you have to go in and out of the Null the Gull interface instead of it going back to Null the Gull's main menu after making a choice. Seems like that would be a pretty easy fix, right? Well, it is apparently impossible.

How do I know? I suggested and asked in these forms. Was told it was already asked. Given quotes and had discussions with other here in the forms. Jumped on by some, I'm pretty sure. But I asked and there was interaction.

Hopefully, the two of us interacting will bring other people's attention to your original post and they can comment on it in a civil manner.

I'm not against you or other people wanting this feature.

I'm personally against using it, and I think it would require a good percentage of the game population wanting it to make it worthwhile for the DEVs to try to do it.

And I just have the strong feeling that the game can't handle it based on multiple things that I have heard in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

23 hours ago, Laucianna said:

Maybe lets get back onto the topic of the suggestion? I am still fully for it as long as it is a toggle on option and if the devs want to add it ❤️ 

But that's a boring topic Lauci, can it be about *my* victim complex instead?

I boot up the game... the first thing I do whenever someone posts something in LFG chat, that I want to join, is click their name and hit the Add/Edit Note button.  That doesn't just tell me their global, but also shows me a rating and anything I wrote about them before.  Most players reveal a blank screen: I join.  My friends reveal little blurbs about them and the character I met them on, so I can remember who's who: I join.  And then there's the trolls, with their 1-star and colorful phraseology in their note: I shrimply do not join.  That's the end of it, simple non-interaction.  This is how I know -not- to join another team led by people I've had bad experiences with.  Adding the ability to toggle on and opt-in to seeing global names just makes it easier to recognize players at a glance: whether they be friends or people you want to avoid.  However, those in this thread who are so against this option... you need to understand that we already have 3 pages of comments reiterating that the function to check global names already exists in the game... it's just extra clicks.  This entire suggestion is just to remove tedium and clicking, and if you want to remain hidden in the game, just use all the functions on the /hide menu and don't type in Global chat channels.

• Haha 2

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

35 minutes ago, Shin Magmus said:

it's just extra clicks

So is like half of all internet security. It's a fact that the more clicks you put between something and people, the less people get to that something. This is not nothing. This is an important factor in UX design, whether you want to get people to use a feature or you want to limit the use of a feature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1