The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

A Dark Knight?

Ultimo

So, I've been wrestling with a choice, and I wondered what people thought.  I've created a character based on Batman, but I'm not certain whether to go with the Stalker or the Scrapper.  In either case, he'd be Martial Arts and Ninjitsu, but each has different strengths and weaknesses.  The Stalker, for example, lacks almost all AOE.

What do you guys think?  Which one better represents Batman?  Which one performs better?  Any thoughts are welcome.

I think the issue is that the best Batman combo isn't a legal one: Street Justice/Devices.  Batman is best known for having a gadget for every situation which is essentially what Devices is, but when he has to fight he's often just throwing hands instead of ranged attacks of any kind (save for Batarangs).  If it were ever to be added, I think the best Batman would be a Street Justice/Willpower Scrapper with the Utility Belt pool and Weapon Mastery epic, but even that wouldn't give the same level of tools he typically carries.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

12 hours ago, ZorkNemesis said:

I think the issue is that the best Batman combo isn't a legal one: Street Justice/Devices.  Batman is best known for having a gadget for every situation which is essentially what Devices is, but when he has to fight he's often just throwing hands instead of ranged attacks of any kind (save for Batarangs).  If it were ever to be added, I think the best Batman would be a Street Justice/Willpower Scrapper with the Utility Belt pool and Weapon Mastery epic, but even that wouldn't give the same level of tools he typically carries.

Utility Belt pool?

Ya, I'd been planning for Weapon Mastery, I was just unsure whether to go Scrapper or Stalker.  The original design was the Stalker, but I noticed he has to take out every foe one at a time, and that's kind of tedious, especially on teams.  So, I thought about making him a Scrapper.  I thought the Scrapper would be sturdier, but I'm not experiencing that, and Mids seems to bear that out.

So, I'm still torn.

14 hours ago, Ultimo said:

So, I've been wrestling with a choice, and I wondered what people thought.  I've created a character based on Batman, but I'm not certain whether to go with the Stalker or the Scrapper.  In either case, he'd be Martial Arts and Ninjitsu, but each has different strengths and weaknesses.  The Stalker, for example, lacks almost all AOE.

What do you guys think?  Which one better represents Batman?  Which one performs better?  Any thoughts are welcome.

I personally can never get behind Stalker Martial Arts without Dragon's Tail, so I say go Scrapper.

4 hours ago, Ultimo said:

Utility Belt pool?

The "Natural" Origin pool that exists in the code but not implemented due to balance reasons and missing animations.  The powerset offers a Bolas and Poison Dagger for ranged attack options, along with a self-heal device.  It also has a teleport attack and a Ninja Run-like travel power which I believe is where the Parkour/Blitz travel animations come from.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Utility_Belt

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

• 3 weeks later
On 6/21/2024 at 8:46 PM, Ultimo said:

I've gone back to the Stalker, I'm finding the Scrapper just too squishy, and honestly not versatile enough.

For my own homage, I couldn't picture a Batman type being anything but a Stalker.  Especially that fear proc after an Assassin's Strike!  He hits so incredibly hard that I don't miss the lack of AoE's.

I went with Street Justice and Ninjitsu, and picked up every gadget I could cram into my build.  Most of what I picked were for thematic purposes, maximizing on fun/cool. 

Attached is my current build (that frankly needs a respec).  I think my overslotting leaves a ton of room for others to customize, so I'll risk embarrassment to encourage others to Batman with us.   Capped positional Defenses! 🙂 

Vengeful Vigilante - Stalker (Street Justice - Ninjitsu).mbd

• Like 1

• 1 month later
19 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

I would say you could go bat-a-rang Batman with a Arachnos Widow... play the whole Arachnos Origin off as a Parallel to Bruce Wayne training in the League of Shadows.

Have fun!

Staff also works well on Stalker since it addresses a big problem with the set on other ATs: Lack of decent ST damage but still leaves you a couple AoEs for dealing with groups.  Pairs well with Ninjitsu for the +melee defense attack.

Though I guess that'd be more of a Robin/Nightwing homage then...