The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

My Adventures With Superman (Max)

I meant to make a topic for this show but somehow never got around to it. The first three episodes of Season 2 are now up on Max and I'm happy this show got a second season. My Adventures With Superman is not the standard fair for entries in the DCAU which is good since it's not actually set in the DCAU. This is an alternate retelling of Superman with a more modern backstory and an anime art-style. I found it to be very enjoyable and a fresh approach to the big blue boyscout. Definitely worth a binge-watch.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

I second this. If you like the big, blue boy scout, you'll like My Adventures With Superman. Even if you're more neutral toward him, as I am, it's still a really good and interesting take on the character.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I noticed this series in a list of shows on a reactor's YouTube channel.  I'm not budgeted for Max right now, but hope to see the show at some point.

Oh, and who is the "My" in the title?  Or is that a spoiler?

Edited by Techwright

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I noticed this series in a list of shows on a reactor's YouTube channel.  I'm not budgeted for Max right now, but hope to see the show at some point.

Oh, and who is the "My" in the title?  Or is that a spoiler?

Lois Lane. She's a fairly big part of the show, along with Jimmy Olson.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

22 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

Lois Lane. She's a fairly big part of the show, along with Jimmy Olson.

I'd say it's both Lois and Jimmy. Along with Clark who, as he tells Lois early on, is still finding out who "Superman" is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Going to second the 'worth a watch' comments - the art style is vibrant, the fight scenes are solid, the music and voice acting are great, and frankly, it's just nice to have a Superman who feels hopeful again. The new takes on the classic villains are fun and the broad utilization of Krypton's alien technology makes Supe's opposition feel a lot more organically interconnected.

• Like 2

Global is @El D, Everlasting Player, Recovering Altaholic.

• 1 month later

Just binge watched both full seasons that we have to this point. It's interesting. It takes a few stylistic cues from Anime. But it's not anime. If anything - it's more like a level or two removed from anime - a decent comparison would be the original Avatar The Last Airbender. If anything - it's mostly a Shounen anime style with ever so slight Shojo flourishes on occasion. 

And - since it needs to be said in this day and age - there are a few "modernisms" creeping in around the edges. But here's what saves this show from being "woke". 

The main character - Kal El - Clark Kent - Superman. It's him. He's slightly different in how his powers are shown developing and how he's discovering himself. But that's part of what makes the process refreshing. 

But - let me say this again - so you understand. IT. IS. HIM. 

It's the same lovable corn-fed adorkable CLARK that informs the very BEST of what Superman is. He is STILL that classic character. Younger than he's been presented before. Almost a "Superboy" rather than "Superman". But not quite. But - he's an effective HERO. He's a stand-up moral person. Even a decent male role model. 

You know what this show reminds me of? In very broad strokes?  - Lois and Clark: The Adventures of Superman - the Superman show from the early 90s with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher. I can't explain it better than that - but it's got some of that vibe going. 

Truly - the Clark from that show said something that I think the Clark from this show would agree with: 

"Clark Kent is who I AM. Superman is what I DO." 

And - what would a hero be without good villains? This show has some FANTASTIC Villains! Believable Earth villains. Mercenaries - Gangers. Mad scientists. Government agents gone wrong. A very interesting take on Lex Luthor that I didn't see coming as soon as I should have! 

Villains who have their own agendas. Villains who can actually turn on a dime and HELP Superman if the motivation (or the MONEY) is right. 

And possibly the most deranged version of Brainiac I've EVER SEEN. That MONSTER will give you CHILLS!!! The VOICE work for him ALONE should win an award!

And a new take on Supergirl that starts off as a redeemable villain with a costume that almost looks like she stepped out of Evangelion and winds up with an AWESOME character arc that allows Superman to do what only HE could possibly do to bring her back from the brink and help her be a true heroine! 

Edited by Dynamo-Joe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dynamo-Joe said:

Just binge watched both full seasons that we have to this point. It's interesting. It takes a few stylistic cues from Anime. But it's not anime. If anything - it's more like a level or two removed from anime - a decent comparison would be the original Avatar The Last Airbender. If anything - it's mostly a Shounen anime style with ever so slight Shojo flourishes on occasion. 

And - since it needs to be said in this day and age - there are a few "modernisms" creeping in around the edges. But here's what saves this show from being "woke". 

The main character - Kal El - Clark Kent - Superman. It's him. He's slightly different in how his powers are shown developing and how he's discovering himself. But that's part of what makes the process refreshing. 

But - let me say this again - so you understand. IT. IS. HIM. 

It's the same lovable corn-fed adorkable CLARK that informs the very BEST of what Superman is. He is STILL that classic character. Younger than he's been presented before. Almost a "Superboy" rather than "Superman". But not quite. But - he's an effective HERO. He's a stand-up moral person. Even a decent male role model. 

You know what this show reminds me of? In very broad strokes?  - Lois and Clark: The Adventures of Superman - the Superman show from the early 90s with Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher. I can't explain it better than that - but it's got some of that vibe going. 

Truly - the Clark from that show said something that I think the Clark from this show would agree with: 

"Clark Kent is who I AM. Superman is what I DO." 

And - what would a hero be without good villains? This show has some FANTASTIC Villains! Believable Earth villains. Mercenaries - Gangers. Mad scientists. Government agents gone wrong. A very interesting take on Lex Luthor that I didn't see coming as soon as I should have! 

Villains who have their own agendas. Villains who can actually turn on a dime and HELP Superman if the motivation (or the MONEY) is right. 

And possibly the most deranged version of Brainiac I've EVER SEEN. That MONSTER will give you CHILLS!!! The VOICE work for him ALONE should win an award!

And a new take on Supergirl that starts off as a redeemable villain with a costume that almost looks like she stepped out of Evangelion and winds up with an AWESOME character arc that allows Superman to do what only HE could possibly do to bring her back from the brink and help her be a true heroine! 

Have to agree.  Supergirl was made redeemable.  Which, to take a totally different show, The Boys, were I hear people say "They can be redeemed."  No.  No they can't.  They were awful evil people who murdered other people.  They aren't redeemable no matter how much good they do, because they're never going to give into justice.  😛