New to Corruptor - Fire/Dark build

WuTang

The build I'm attaching in a minute is Snarky's fault....so don't laugh just at me  🙂

But seriously... Imma try Snarky's tactic with my guy except he's a Fire/Dark demon instead of a Dark/Dark vamp. I've only played him a little, but I like to have my builds mapped out to a certain extent and vetted by the vets if possible. My hope is that with the +20% or more Defense coupled with the -toHit built into Dark that I'll be fairly unhittable and that I smoke the little ones expeditiously, thus reducing the overall damage I might've otherwise had to endure. And, so long as I only mess up every 119 seconds or so...it's all good.

This guy will be for general content, nothing crazy like star stuff, just some 4/8 ITF, Tinpex, and PI mish, etc...

As always, I'm open to suggestions and comments, ya ain't gonna hurt my feels cause respecs are a thing and inf isn't a prob, that, and I'm new to corrupting so ain't like I know what I'm doing yet any ways.

AND...

As always, thanks in advance!

Just gonna throw Snarks name down here, so I don't feel like I'm talking behind his back... @Snarky

P.S. I did add a touch more survival in than Snarky did, cause I know I'm not on his level...

Demon - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma).mbd

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WuTang said:

The build I'm attaching in a minute is Snarky's fault....so don't laugh just at me  🙂

But seriously... Imma try Snarky's tactic with my guy except he's a Fire/Dark demon instead of a Dark/Dark vamp. I've only played him a little, but I like to have my builds mapped out to a certain extent and vetted by the vets if possible. My hope is that with the +20% or more Defense coupled with the -toHit built into Dark that I'll be fairly unhittable and that I smoke the little ones expeditiously, thus reducing the overall damage I might've otherwise had to endure. And, so long as I only mess up every 119 seconds or so...it's all good.

This guy will be for general content, nothing crazy like star stuff, just some 4/8 ITF, Tinpex, and PI mish, etc...

As always, I'm open to suggestions and comments, ya ain't gonna hurt my feels cause respecs are a thing and inf isn't a prob, that, and I'm new to corrupting so ain't like I know what I'm doing yet any ways.

AND...

Just gonna throw Snarks name down here, so I don't feel like I'm talking behind his back... @Snarky

P.S. I did add a touch more survival in than Snarky did, cause I know I'm not on his level...

Demon - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma).mbd 43.69 kB · 3 downloads

I have considered seriously running a Fire/Dark Corr Demon.  Your work points to one of the difficulties in shifting this from Dark Dark.

Dark Dark has two Mag 2 AoE stuns.  For a total of Mag 4 stun when going in for the nuke.  Fire/Dark has a single mag 2.  

Also, I think I would go Aim and Howling Twilight.  Get completely out of Flight and take Sorcery Mystic Flight.  The TP is a great utility to get past mobs that see through stealth, have a damage aura that breaks stealth, or obstructions on the tight maps.  Once you learn it. Drop a Celerity+Stealth in sprint when you need full stealth, mixing that with Shadow Fall is great.  I normally have mystic flight on all the time, just popping on spring for invisibility. To each their own.  You will need to build in more survivability.  Once Dark drops its nuke the enemies that survive are debuffed so hard they cannot hit the floor.  Like drunk Stormtroopers. Fire is a great nuke, but lacks the oomph of the Blaster version and has no mitigation.  Dark^3 can stun/debuff/leave.  I would switch out that last spot in your nuke to the Knockdown for mitigation and pick up a tad more defense.  Corruptors play the long game, even Fire Corruptors.  Have fun. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, WuTang said:

AND...

Demon - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma).mbd 43.69 kB · 4 downloads

If I understand your goals for play correctly, you're wanting to provide damage, while also providing team support, and as well being decently defense set up.

Your build then could benefit from other considerations with how you've slotted and chosen powers to attain those goals in my opinion.  

Without really knowing more succinctly what is a priority with those goals above, you could go in various directions with a build for these power sets.  However if you're just wanting to rp thematically something, then advice really becomes very anemic for what you may want if its not congruent to that as a potential priority for you.

As an example, if you're wanting to have more team benefice, your not having taken howling twilight(also btw a good offensive control power too) nor dark servant(which has all manner of creative slotting options) would be not recommended.

If you're wanting to be more defense oriented as remember your -tohit actually has to hit all mobs for that benefit to you to stack with your 20% or less defense(soft cap is 45% and arguably best in the positional defenses, especially range if you wish to be more on the fringe of the fights or more melee if in the thick of it.   Point all being you're not as protected as you may be assuming you are.

And with offensive considerations, having skipped Aim also is a guaranteed dps loss for a simple power choice. Sometimes less is more so having more attacks doesnt mean you're actually capable of doing overall more damage in fights, especially on teams that are ROFL stomping through a mission where you may only contributed 1-2 attacks to a mob group before its downed and the team's moving on to the next set.  

Point of all this is that making a build is a puzzle based on being more succinct with one's goals, and in cases where people make a build that "tries to do it all" your build then suffers becoming not as good as it potentially could've been.  You've to me, overslotted and set come enhancement sets in some powers that really do not make your potential play better but reflect conflicts of your attempting to make a character trying to straddle conflicts in you goals.

Im not conveying this in this manner to frustrate you(as I suspect your frustrated already as well due to the fact you're looking for feedback on your build as it doesnt sit right completely with you).  Im saying make your goals for your play more clear to yourself and then build around those goals or goal even. Then it becomes easier to provide more critique of what you're trying to build for.   As it stands, again, there are just too many ways to say "x" doesnt have much viability because the build reflects goals sort of being all over the place.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 4:43 PM, Sanguinesun said:

If I understand your goals for play correctly, you're wanting to provide damage, while also providing team support, and as well being decently defense set up.

Your build then could benefit from other considerations with how you've slotted and chosen powers to attain those goals in my opinion.  

Without really knowing more succinctly what is a priority with those goals above, you could go in various directions with a build for these power sets.  However if you're just wanting to rp thematically something, then advice really becomes very anemic for what you may want if its not congruent to that as a potential priority for you.

As an example, if you're wanting to have more team benefice, your not having taken howling twilight(also btw a good offensive control power too) nor dark servant(which has all manner of creative slotting options) would be not recommended.

If you're wanting to be more defense oriented as remember your -tohit actually has to hit all mobs for that benefit to you to stack with your 20% or less defense(soft cap is 45% and arguably best in the positional defenses, especially range if you wish to be more on the fringe of the fights or more melee if in the thick of it.   Point all being you're not as protected as you may be assuming you are.

And with offensive considerations, having skipped Aim also is a guaranteed dps loss for a simple power choice. Sometimes less is more so having more attacks doesnt mean you're actually capable of doing overall more damage in fights, especially on teams that are ROFL stomping through a mission where you may only contributed 1-2 attacks to a mob group before its downed and the team's moving on to the next set.  

Point of all this is that making a build is a puzzle based on being more succinct with one's goals, and in cases where people make a build that "tries to do it all" your build then suffers becoming not as good as it potentially could've been.  You've to me, overslotted and set come enhancement sets in some powers that really do not make your potential play better but reflect conflicts of your attempting to make a character trying to straddle conflicts in you goals.

Im not conveying this in this manner to frustrate you(as I suspect your frustrated already as well due to the fact you're looking for feedback on your build as it doesnt sit right completely with you).  Im saying make your goals for your play more clear to yourself and then build around those goals or goal even. Then it becomes easier to provide more critique of what you're trying to build for.   As it stands, again, there are just too many ways to say "x" doesnt have much viability because the build reflects goals sort of being all over the place.

I was building towards Snarky's Dark x3 tactic (Hit'n'Run) but apparently that's a nonstarter since Fire/Dark/Dark doesn't have the needed tools. I'm retooling now with yours and @Snarky suggestions. Doing it a couple different ways. One with the pet but no PBAOE nuke and the other w/o pet and w/ nuke.

Got a question about Oppressive Gloom. Does it hit right away or is it on a 10 second cycle and how much of a drain is it on HP?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, WuTang said:

I was building towards Snarky's Dark x3 tactic (Hit'n'Run) but apparently that's a nonstarter since Fire/Dark/Dark doesn't have the needed tools. I'm retooling now with yours and @Snarky suggestions. Doing it a couple different ways. One with the pet but no PBAOE nuke and the other w/o pet and w/ nuke.

Got a question about Oppressive Gloom. Does it hit right away or is it on a 10 second cycle and how much of a drain is it on HP?

oppressive gloom will hit like an attack, so no 10 sec delay, but not immediate.  it is a minimal hp drain. take the nuke.  definitely  

Edited by Snarky
  • Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, WuTang said:

I'd retool your considerations to take the pet and your nuke.

Remember less is more in some cases, if you're taking a zillion attacks or conversely zillions of the controls or conversely a too many in the mix, its not necessarily going to make your toon better because if you've attacks/control/mix just sit idle because you're able to fire off a simple set of attacks in a chain that can be up constantly(as long as your endurance lasts), then you've overall likely not got options to change powers around to benefit the build better.   Remember too you're also spend lots of time healing with this typically(as teams will expect it) so that also factors. Due to your heal and your pbaoes for end/dam/buildup you're going to likely be spending alot of time in melee range so you'll need to consider shoring up your resistances/defense.  While oppressive gloom is a damage mitigation tool of course, remember it only affects those in pbaoe range and those outside of it (ie doing range damage) arent affected.  Also remember if you're relying on thinking your defenses are high due to having evasive maneuvers up, all its defense goes to zero when you've activated powers, done damage etc, so its damage mitigation capabilies are less effective. 

Build making is like doing logic puzzles, especially when factoring specific player goals in addition to the powers in a set dictating how you play out those goals.

Edited by Sanguinesun
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 6:42 PM, Sanguinesun said:

I'd retool your considerations to take the pet and your nuke.

Remember less is more in some cases, if you're taking a zillion attacks or conversely zillions of the controls or conversely a too many in the mix, its not necessarily going to make your toon better because if you've attacks/control/mix just sit idle because you're able to fire off a simple set of attacks in a chain that can be up constantly(as long as your endurance lasts), then you've overall likely not got options to change powers around to benefit the build better.   Remember too you're also spend lots of time healing with this typically(as teams will expect it) so that also factors. Due to your heal and your pbaoes for end/dam/buildup you're going to likely be spending alot of time in melee range so you'll need to consider shoring up your resistances/defense.  While oppressive gloom is a damage mitigation tool of course, remember it only affects those in pbaoe range and those outside of it (ie doing range damage) arent affected.  Also remember if you're relying on thinking your defenses are high due to having evasive maneuvers up, all its defense goes to zero when you've activated powers, done damage etc, so its damage mitigation capabilies are less effective. 

Build making is like doing logic puzzles, especially when factoring specific player goals in addition to the powers in a set dictating how you play out those goals.

Not a big fan of relying on pets. AI can be terrible and this one isn't even perma, last 2 min and best recharge I've managed is 63 seconds. So, if I go through a door or zone I lose the pet and if it's inside the CD time then I'm without.

But now after playing this guy a bit I'm not digging the combo. The -toHit toggle doesn't work like I thought it did and with a +3 second cast....not flowing well with me. Gonna have to try something else I think.

Ok my bull-headed nature has taken over... Can't invest this much time into a toon then tap out...defeated...not when others can make them work.

So, I've re-re-retooled... Attached is what I've cobbled together using the advice I've gotten (well I've cherry-picked the advice). If it weren't for the fact that I've got a great costume and name and that Fire/Dark/Dark works so well with it all, maybe then I'd be able to throw in the towel. I'm going to build an offset trying to use Mystic Flight but dipping into a power pool for just 1 power feels like a waste. Though I will admit, thematically, it works loads better, especially since you can macro the teleport to work like combat TP.

@Snarky you think that is enough positional Def? I'm relying on the -5% toHit that's built into all my attacks to soft cap Range and then using Fearsome Stare and sometimes Darkest Night to be untouchable everywhere else. I did a KD proc in Inferno and in Rain of Fire, which is almost perma, like a 3 sec gap with cast time included. I still didn't take Aim. My thoughts are that Spirit Drain is a better option and I've got Gaussian's Proc in Tactics, so in a team it'll be firing off more often.

Thing I don't like is I don't have alot of debuff protection.

Corruptor Fire-Dark.JPG

Hover Demon - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma)2-withNuke.mbd

4 hours ago, WuTang said:

Ok my bull-headed nature has taken over... Can't invest this much time into a toon then tap out...defeated...not when others can make them work.

So, I've re-re-retooled... Attached is what I've cobbled together using the advice I've gotten (well I've cherry-picked the advice). If it weren't for the fact that I've got a great costume and name and that Fire/Dark/Dark works so well with it all, maybe then I'd be able to throw in the towel. I'm going to build an offset trying to use Mystic Flight but dipping into a power pool for just 1 power feels like a waste. Though I will admit, thematically, it works loads better, especially since you can macro the teleport to work like combat TP.

@Snarky you think that is enough positional Def? I'm relying on the -5% toHit that's built into all my attacks to soft cap Range and then using Fearsome Stare and sometimes Darkest Night to be untouchable everywhere else. I did a KD proc in Inferno and in Rain of Fire, which is almost perma, like a 3 sec gap with cast time included. I still didn't take Aim. My thoughts are that Spirit Drain is a better option and I've got Gaussian's Proc in Tactics, so in a team it'll be firing off more often.

Corruptor Fire-Dark.JPG

Hover Demon - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma)2-withNuke.mbd 42.73 kB · 0 downloads

more than enough defense.  more importantly i like your power picks a lot better.  

Corruptors, ALL Corruptors are "S" class teammates.  If you are unfamiliar, the grading system is normal A-F, but S is "perfect" A.  Some other Archetypes have "S" class power combos.  ALL Corruptors are "S" class.  Ask around.  (never take Snarky's word...)  

I am currently maining a Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster with minimal defenses.  And I mean almost none.  I practically Tank on it, first in 1/2 time.  at 4/8.  How?  Ya gotta read the room, eat an inspiration, strike hard and fast.  Corruptors, well no one, strikes as hard and fast as a Fire Blaster.  you HAVE to read the room.  play as part of your team when with peeps.  Let the melee get the attention and THEN kill everyone so the poor melee is corpse blasting.  Learn your power synergy.  Know when you are most effective.  Find or create those environments.  

Corruptors are literally the strongest thing in the game.  7 Corr and a Tank can take on anything out there and do a floor show at the same time.  Later you may want to drop all the investment in Fly (or not) but the build looks damn solid.  Now, the hard/easy part.  Play it/Learn it/Love it.  Have fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Thraxen said:

Isn’t howling twilight the best debuff you have with all the -regen?  Pretty sure you want to use it on avs whether someone is dead or not. 

I looked at that power. I could take it instead of Twilight Grasp, which I was never planning on using. Heal isn't strong enough to be clutch and it's not an AOE, so it'd be no real loss. Does Twilight Grasp need accuracy or is it a guaranteed hit? Because I didn't see any accuracy stat.

4 minutes ago, WuTang said:

I looked at that power. I could take it instead of Twilight Grasp, which I was never planning on using. Heal isn't strong enough to be clutch and it's not an AOE, so it'd be no real loss. Does Twilight Grasp need accuracy or is it a guaranteed hit? Because I didn't see any accuracy stat.

im unsure. I’ve tried dark a few times and couldn’t get into it. 

On 6/11/2024 at 11:59 AM, WuTang said:

Howling Twilight is -500% regen.  Twilight Grasp is actually a huge heal and it's an AoE focused on you, it also does minor -regen. I'd drop Soul Transfer or Evasive maneuvers to keep both. I'd use only two slots for Tar Patch (50+5 recharge).  You could save another two slots by cutting two from Fearsome Stare.   The slots you save I'd use to pump Twilight Grasp.  If you're slot poor I'd frankenslot the two accurate healing sets.  It needs accuracy.  I'd 6 slot Fireball. (On second thought, I only have 5 slots: Three Scourging Blast and two Frozen Blast).

Edited by Ignatz the Insane
  • Thanks 1

I was on my Defender yesterday and was fortunate to run a Citadel with a Fire/Dark/Soul Corruptor. She was stupid strong and was absolutely obliterating mobs. I stopped bothering trying to get my storms going, it was pointless, cause once Cat5 started to do its thing all the mobs would be dead. She has Mystic Flight, @Snarky, and she was porting all over the place with what I found out later was a macro she used to both help support the group and attack the baddies. Her tactics were solid, of course I was buffing the crap out of her with Fulcrum Shift, so there is that. After watching her I definitely want to incorporate Mystic Flight.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/10/2024 at 7:52 AM, WuTang said:

Corruptor Fire-Dark.JPG

Hover Demon - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma)2-withNuke.mbd 42.73 kB · 3 downloads

I’m going to try and post my 4* Fire/Dark Corr tomorrow if I have time. I think you should take a look at that.

*BTW im not saying your build looks bad. It’s got decent defenses but I think maybe mine might provide some new insights possibly. 

Edited by Seed22
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

1 hour ago, Seed22 said:

I’m going to try and post my 4* Fire/Dark Corr tomorrow if I have time. I think you should take a look at that.

*BTW im not saying your build looks bad. It’s got decent defenses but I think maybe mine might provide some new insights possibly. 

Can't wait to check it out.

Thanks!

Been playing this guy, he's at 42 now, loads of fun. Though.... Need help understanding the End drain cause...it is REAL! I had to up slot Stam with an additional endurance modifier, and even then, I can crash. I don't think I've had quite this problem before, except with my Rad/Fire/Fire Brute, which he still has even with Ageless Core he can dip quite low. Is Fire just that much of a hog? Then /Dark doesn't come with any endurance goodies. What are some tricks to make the blue bar happy? Cause having the blue bar blues is the pits.

Have the three heal procs that boost end?  I two slot stamina with performance shifter proc and end.  Make sure you’re not running stealth or any other travel powers. Porting around with mystic flight might be fun, but it’s pretty end heavy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thraxen said:

Have the three heal procs that boost end?  I two slot stamina with performance shifter proc and end.  Make sure you’re not running stealth or any other travel powers. Porting around with mystic flight might be fun, but it’s pretty end heavy. 

I have 2 of the 3 in heal, only Numina is left out. I've swapped things around since I posted the last build. I fully slotted the heal with a full set of Numina. But the 2nd End Mod in Stam should be the same, maybe a tad more End recovery.

On 6/5/2024 at 1:56 PM, WuTang said:

AND...

Demon - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma).mbd 43.69 kB · 34 downloads

Little things.

Twilight Grasp with a theft of essence proc.

Howling Twilight is your av killer.

Rain of Fire will rarely Proc anything.

Tar Patch with a couple of end/rech/slow pieces.

Spirit Drain needs accuracy.

Oppressive Gloom doesn't need 5 slots, a single acc/mez hammi will do , very cheap to make a lvl 53.

Not sure about 6 slotting tactics but i do hear its working better now on teams with the gaussian proc slotted. Still better to slot it in aim and control when it fires off.

Numi piece will help a little in health, not much but with that many toggles it all counts.

You can toss winter sets in if your concerned about defences, i wouldn't bother but a full winters bite+frozen blast and avalanche will get you where you want to be especially if you throw in agility.

Recovery serums from P2W while levelling.

You'll most likely need ageless at 50 unless you take vigor/cardiac.

Can't find my original build its 5 years old now and i forgot where i put the toon, it needs a respec since darks soul drain got replaced with spirit drain, 30 seconds in mids i may go something like this (swap combat jump for hover and ss for fly) :

FIRE DARK - Corruptor (Fire Blast - Dark Miasma).mbd

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

OK need a bit more help. Can't figure out how to setup Inferno, it's a near death experience each time and sometimes a complete death experience.

@Meknomancer What you said about Rain of Fire rarely proc'ing... Mids shows anything in the 3.5ppm range to proc at 90%. Even the resist debuff you slotted shows 90%.

I understand a bit better now why Dark/Dark/Dark works so well. A 4mag stunner plus a melee AOE nuke that leaves anything standing with a -50% toHit (I know that's what Snarky said all the way at the top, but I didn't know about the nuke's debuff). I'm totally jealous and guessing Inferno is meant to kill'em all, but like @Snarky said, the Corruptor's version lacks the oomph of the Balster's, so its mechanic is gimped, and I'm left with too many alive to get away clean.

Thanks all!

Edited by WuTang

17 minutes ago, WuTang said:

OK need a bit more help. Can't figure out how to setup Inferno, it's a near death experience each time and sometimes a complete death experience.

@Meknomancer What you said about Rain of Fire rarely proc'ing... Mids shows anything in the 3.5ppm range to proc at 90%. Even the resist debuff you slotted shows 90%.

Thanks all!

I can't remember the exact numbers, pseudo pets like sleet/freezing rain/rain of fire only have a chance to proc once/10 seconds or something like that. Most mobs don't last that long. That posted build was me spending almost no time in mids, if i was to run one now i'd probably skip the patron in it for mu mastery with powersink and energise because i hate being force picked into incarnates like cardiac/vigor/ageless.

Not sure how your struggling to nuke stuff. Have you tired kiting? Hit aim with a gaussian proc hop into the mob and fire off the nuke as your hopping out so you land outside of melee as it goes off. If your running hover this isn't possible which is why i always take combat jump. If your set on staying with flight use a corner, tag an enemy with darkest night, move out of line of sight, drop the tar patch so the enemy mob hits the corner all bunched up and slowed down, throw fearsome stare/howling twilight on the mob and hover in to nuke. Having a slotted heal can really help you out if you take a hit.

3 hours ago, WuTang said:

I understand a bit better now why Dark/Dark/Dark works so well. A 4mag stunner plus a melee AOE nuke that leaves anything standing with a -50% toHit (I know that's what Snarky said all the way at the top, but I didn't know about the nuke's debuff). I'm totally jealous and guessing Inferno is meant to kill'em all, but like @Snarky said, the Corruptor's version lacks the oomph of the Balster's, so its mechanic is gimped, and I'm left with too many alive to get away clean.

Thanks all!

A Fire Blaster’s Nuke is always a danger.  On a Master MLTF just a couple days ago….  Sigh, embarrassing.  I was tight on a Tank.  It was a simple hallway fight.  I let the tank go in.  Maybe 3-5 seconds later u wander in and nuke.  Almost everything dies.  And a Fortunata just pastes me. 

Again, the Corr version lacks the oomph.  You are going to need to do things like pop a sm/med purple on tough fights.  Work even tighter with teams.  Do not think of it as a nuke so much as a heavy damage pbaoe, and adjust tactics to the reality.