Leviathan Mastery

Gentoo

I like the visual effects of School of Sharks and Spirit Shark Jaws. Sharks everywhere is fun.

I've seen alsmost zero discussion of these powers or this power pool.

I'm thinking maybe a Storm/Water/Leviathan? Would that be the best thematic match? Would it work out well in combat?

Are there other sets that fit the theme as well?

1 hour ago, Gentoo said:

I like the visual effects of School of Sharks and Spirit Shark Jaws. Sharks everywhere is fun.

I'm thinking maybe a Storm/Water/Leviathan? Would that be the best thematic match? Would it work out well in combat?

Are there other sets that fit the theme as well?

In terms of your interest in thematics, it is of course perfectly fine.  In terms of why people in general may not necessarily take those powers,  school has a long activation and narrow cone for similar damage that other faster activating aoe's in other epics provide and Jaws is similar.  

If you're wanting to get creative in your thinking, changing colorization on sets etc, then various other epics could offer you alternatives that would perhaps have more effectivity in combat terms.  Invariably, its all up to you.

On 6/17/2024 at 11:12 AM, Gentoo said:

I can explain why I tend to not take Leviathan Mastery, even though I agree that "Sharks are cool". I'll stick with Defender-specific reasons, but some of these are applicable to other AT:

The biggest reason is that I prefer to have my characters' core powers, including attacks and controls, well-established before the Epic/Patron pools become available. Unless such a power wasn't available at an earlier level, I simply don't find the AoE attacks/controls to be a good use of slots, and especially not single-target controls. MMV, my thinking is this: If I have to invest slots in Epic/Patron powers to make them sing, then those slots are almost certainly ones that I could be using on lower level powers. I exemplar all the time, so I tend to see slots put in higher level powers as wasted. I can of course have multiple builds, but that is a more advanced form of character crafting.

To expand on the point above... Spirit Shark Jaws looks to be an excellent single-target Hold. Hold powers offer the opportunity to slot for some excellent set bonuses, as well as for %damage. My issue is that this power won't be available for content below level 36. I'd lean to the set bonuses and try to increase hold duration, but maybe 3xGladiator's Net, and then %damage... but Defenders who want to improve DPS get better results by adding %damage to AoE (i.e. other) powers... so essentially this starts to feel like (to me) like a rule of cool choice.

The next biggest reason is that the alternate choices for Epic/Patron pools offer different sorts of powers, and often those other choices don't require many slots to be excellent. This is min-max thinking of course.

I think Storm/Water/Leviathan is a fine thematic choice.