Copyright Question

7 hours ago, ZacKing said:

I know.  I said as much.  Maybe you missed my post.

So was "Might want to start with this guy lol" meant to be a joke?

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Herotu said:

It's Right to Copy.

No, no.

You have the Right to Copy.

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

On 7/4/2024 at 8:09 AM, GM Crumpet said:

And you can multitask better than me. I can barely concentrate on not dying, I can't watch TV and do laundry too 😛 

What about watching TV or doing laundry is dangerous?

• Game Master
On 7/3/2024 at 4:24 AM, Trike said:

Yes, it is. What is life without whimsy?

I doubt anyone at WB will care, but if it’s going to cause an issue I can delete him. No biggie. I have 580 other alts, after all. 😛

Nobody on the HC team will care either. Clever bio, great costume, fun name. Inspired by is allowed if it's changed up enough. I'd say it's homage rather than parody, but either way it's not even slightly against the CoC.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later
On 7/2/2024 at 12:05 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

I am very unsure what your point is here.

I make my own characters in a pre-existing universe here. Scarlet Shocker exists in Paragon City but there is also an iteration of her in The Secret World. (Although she's different there for obvious reasons.)

Would I make Capt John Sheridan in Star Trek Online? Absolutely not, and Batman has done battle with Predator so I'm not sure that particular crossover analogy works well.

I'm not naturally a fan of crossovers - I always find their denouement to be exceedingly dull because for the most part all the protagonists have to come out smiling and happy, which is dull,  because almost nothing has changed in either universe.

I don't feel it necessary to give anyone a finger, v, middle or otherwise, when they are providing content to entertain me. I am not so entitled that I expect them to think I have some right for them to provide me with a thing that isn't part of their thing.

Uhh you just gave a second example for why the analogy works perfectly, and why it's not unprecedented or unusual at all, and how it makes sense to most of us. Those of us who wanna play as a pre-existing hero (or in my own and many's use, my own v.diff version of them--or a piece of art depicting a scene they'll never give me)... wanting to do so is not entitlement. It's flattering, like fanfic. I was obviously jk about the middle finger so come off whatever you're on there.. Bro you're here griping at people and telling them to go play something else for wanting to basically fanfic their favorite hero (which IS allowed done smartly) in a game where the most heroes are and the heroes that are there can be put in the most unique situations. Do you hate fanfic too? Not liking or getting it's fine... But telling people to go play something else, come on now. You're not a mod and it's your point that I don't think anyone cares about, honestly--Not to be rude, but I'm not the one coming to the party to say that it sucks. You don't get it; we get it. You don't have the kind'f moral high ground suggested by, "I never get it when..." though, because there's nothing wrong with the thing just cuz you don't get it; you just have a different preference, and don't relate to the other preference. I don't see the relevance to topic lol

Edited by moonligh7er

• Game Master

I thought we were done with this topic.

Summary:  Copying someone else's IP = not allowed.  Will probably get genericed.

Parody or homage = allowed.  But the line can be very close sometimes.  Stay far away from the line to minimize chance of generic.

• Microphone 3