The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Spider-Noir: The Series

Nic Cage’s self-narrating depressive PI Spider-Noir in Spiderverse was a superb running gag… but does it make a series?

Well, we might just find out…

IMG_7360.thumb.jpeg.d7f4bcde31b769c0efc5ec3ed3da03ba.jpeg

Cage is joined by Lamorne Morris (New Girl, Fargo) as fearless journalist Robbie Robertson, and Brendan Gleeson as an as-yet-undisclosed villain. In early production as of May, likely to hit MGM and Amazon Prime next year as an 8-part limited.

It definitely sounds a different take on Spidey… yeah, think I could get into this?

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

It's already better than Madame Web just by having Nicholas Cage. As for being actually good, who knows? Add a little dash of Dick Tracey, a little dash of Detective Comics Batman and it certainly has possibilities.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

So are they doing the film in sepia tone, or at least black and white?  Except for a Rubik's cube, of course.

It's not just that it is a noir Spider-man, it is also going to be the oldest Spider-man put to film yet.  I find that intriguing.  Every new Spider-man work, be it live or animation, starts off with him in high school.  I'm good and ready to move past that.  Tobey was a pleasant surprise with a 40's something Spider-man, but dealing with an aging spider has some untapped potential.

EDIT:  After perusing a pretty exhaustive list of Spidey villains,  I'm guessing Gleeson might be playing a noir version of Otto Octavius.   Gleeson's got a build and look reminiscent of early comic book Doc Ock.  And Octavius is the safe bet for corporate bean counters.  People loved Alfred Molina's version, so why not get lightning to strike a 3rd time?  Considering other possibilities, however, we've not seen Shocker in live action (at least that I can recall) nor Chameleon.  The latter might allow for other actors to do any physicality in the role, as Gleeson is approaching 70.  

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Techwright said:

So are they doing the film in sepia tone, or at least black and white?  Except for a Rubik's cube, of course.

No idea - though it's not a movie, it's an 8-ep limited run series. And yes, I think Nic can pull it off if the writers are up to the gig.

Looks wise, I'm kinda hoping they go hyperstylised like one of my favourite criminally underrated flicks, Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow. That played with all kinds of tones to get a retro-early-Technicolor-meets-Art-Deco-poster look, and used colour to illustrate characters and scenes really well.  (It was however hideously expensive, and apparently an absolute pain in the backside to color grade. Since tech has moved on two decades from Adobe After Effects being state of the art, maybe some new kit can do it more justice without breaking the bank.) 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

4 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Looks wise, I'm kinda hoping they go hyperstylised like one of my favourite criminally underrated flicks, Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow.

I loved Sky Captain, one of the best dieselpunks out there.  That said, the ending felt weak by today's standards, though it lines up with serial movie sci-fi of the day and era it was tapping into.  I've wondering if this was what played against it, younger viewers not brought up on the "old stuff" and therefore not connecting with it.

• Like 1

Just thought of one other for Gleeson's villain:  Hammerhead.  The character would fit nicely into a 1930's/40's noir gangster role, and hasn't been in live action (though he was a major villain in recent, incredibly-popular Spider-Man games.)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I loved Sky Captain, one of the best dieselpunks out there. 

I love it too, 100% unironically, even though it's... a little bit of a mess.

But a glorious, spectacular, wildly imaginative mess that takes massive swings.

They didn't always connect, but damnit it always looked good doing it... and when they do, it's proper old-school serial stuff in the vein of Indy or The Rocketeer.

EDIT... oh, and it's got Ed Shearmur going full John Williams. And loving it.

(So do I. An edit of the end creds was my ringtone for a very long time.)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later
4 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Isn't Nic Cage 60+? 

Seems much too old for the role of Spider-Man even in the Noir incarnation

He's 60.  It's a full-faced mask, they'll put a younger actor in the action sequences.  This same tactic was used for the combat sequences of Saruman in The Hobbit, when actor Christopher Lee was 90.  If you've not seen it, the character has some very physical combat sequences, which Lee could never have done, but makes sense from a lore standpoint where the wizards only appear as old men, but are actually immortal beings.  If I recall correctly, they used a rubber mask resembling Lee to cover the stunt actor's face, then made sure to never film the character's face directly during combat.

If however, you're talking about an old guy Spidey, that's what I mentioned earlier is intriguing, because we most always see a teen Spider-man or at least in his 20s.

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

He's 60.  It's a full-faced mask, they'll put a younger actor in the action sequences.  This same tactic was used for the combat sequences of Saruman in The Hobbit, when actor Christopher Lee was 90.  If you've not seen it, the character has some very physical combat sequences, which Lee could never have done, but makes sense from a lore standpoint where the wizards only appear as old men, but are actually immortal beings.  If I recall correctly, they used a rubber mask resembling Lee to cover the stunt actor's face, then made sure to never film the character's face directly during combat.

If however, you're talking about an old guy Spidey, that's what I mentioned earlier is intriguing, because we most always see a teen Spider-man or at least in his 20s.

I wasn't worried about the action scenes, but the Peter Parker Scenes.  Spiderman Noir still has those.  And he is still portrayed as being 20's. Aunt May, Mary Jane, etc are part of the story

A 40 year old in that role I'd chalk up to typical Hollywood weirdness.  But a 60 year old?  Seems off. 

It'd going to be as off kilter as Liam Neison playing Philip Marlowe at 75 while Bogart played him in his 30s