Open Club  ·  39 members

PC Builders

[Networking] Under-home network hub?

WanderingAries

I decided one day that I wanted to reduce the number of devices in the home using the wifi in an effort to reduce congestion. Since we Own the home, then I have the ability to basically do what I want within my abilities and income. What I Want to do is to have a powered hub just below the 'computer room' that feeds into the other rooms and garage. Once the feeds hit those rooms, then I'll put a per-room switch on the new jacks so that each device can have its own port. I'm not looking at PoE, but much of what I originally looked at was designed for it. What I Wasn't seeing is Gigabit connections per port in most cases, so that made me start looking at changing from a specialized unit to building one with a waterproof box. I'll list a few things that I've come across, but I'd like to see what you guys think.

Things to know about the environment:

• The house sits on a brick perimeter with central brick pillars down the spin (stupid prebuilt homes)
  • We're in North-Central Florida, so I'm not sure just how hot it gets Under the house. I know that it was bearable when I recently swapped the whole-house water filter recently.
  • There's a white sand bedding under the house that I assume is a moisture barrier of sorts, but there won't be direct rain or anything getting to it. Especially once I manage to build a new door for the entry point adjacent to where this would be installed.

Requirements:

• Cat6 / 7 / 8 compatible
  • Moisture / Heat proof
  • AC power from the box that I can connect to the power box I've previously run
  • Gigabit (or higher) ports to feed 5+ rooms
  • Unmanaged is fine
  • A cooling fan would be nice. One that's temperature controlled would be awesome.
  • Future proofing / easy upgradeability is ideal

What plan on using at the per-room level:

I'd originally looked at one of these, but when I go to the higher port capacities the per-port speed drops to 100 Mbps.

61Ra5p6I0yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

After reading a few posts, I started looking into something more like this, but then I enter the territory of needing to know dimensions of each component, being able to seal the connection ports, and possibly changing to round cabling. It would probably be the better, more long-term solution though.

713EeBJ63pL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)