Tough as nails

Project

8 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

I guess it depends on what all you are trying to cap for Res. I can get 75% Res with S/L and that's without adding in other powers to boost beyond Tough and without Incarnates. I've seen someone post what an Invul Tanker can do with RoP and Melee at the same time, and I'm like, "Well, if that level of shenanigans is allowed..." I can get a SR Scrapper to 72.2% S/L with just RoP and that's not fully slotted for Res. I could easily switch my EA Brute build and have RoP at a practical max Res. At that point, capping 4 different Res types would be within reason.  Again, what is being capped and under what conditions? Does that Def have any DDR?

I was speaking across the board. Typically yeah, we push S/L to 90% and certainly it is pretty easy to do. But what is your F/C/E/N? Most builds I have seen posted end in the 40-70% range, which is not exactly cap for a Brute. And yeah, EA and Inv, which I was addressing, have some amount of DDR.

Hi all im a new player and will mostly play solo. Im looking at brute for my first character what would you all recommend? I like the Idea of Stone and Stone but unsure if I will struggle damage wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, KenjiVI said:

Hi all im a new player and will mostly play solo. Im looking at brute for my first character what would you all recommend? I like the Idea of Stone and Stone but unsure if I will struggle damage wise.

I would recommend the combination which fires your imagination and does not objectively suck. Stone/Stone should be fine.

On 9/11/2024 at 2:42 AM, twozerofoxtrot said:

Savage Melee and Stone Armor.

Bleed dots, fire pots, and brimstone procs.

The best control is zero hp.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

This is a fun combo! I put one together that also uses Enflame for additional dps.

On 9/11/2024 at 2:42 AM, twozerofoxtrot said:

Savage Melee and Stone Armor.

Bleed dots, fire pots, and brimstone procs.

The best control is zero hp.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

This is a fun combo! I put one together that also uses Enflame for additional dps.

Edited by Grimm2
Oops, double post.

I'd take a look at this thread 

So I just leveled it... I power leveled to about 15 then played it without double xp to 50. I'm currently veteran 3 and still loving it. The rant is spot on. Super strength is just fantastic. And the EA ultimate is well worth clicking on as soon as the going gets tough. Sure it means that your powers click off 3 minutes later, but so far that's not caused any problems. I've only died once on the journey and that was due to not really watching what was happening in a PUG.  I like the feeling of 'always in god mode, just need to be ready for the crash' as it adds a little spice to game.

There is something sweet about being able to get >120 defence on everything except psi, and the psi being well over the soft cap on your own.  And that's for about 2/3 of the time. The damage bonus seems to be usually around 350%. With 100% roughly in the powers, it's rather like being with a kinetic all the time. The huge buff to hps takes me to the hp cap. The EA  heal is fantastic. being able to hit paragon protectors when they are in their god mode is quite fun as well. It doesn't have the greatest resists, but  ... well ... after a handclap and a stun grenade then if I am soloing nothing is trying to hit me anyway. Temporary powers are a fun part of this: with double rage they usually hit and are doing 350% damage. Oh and gabriels hammert emporary power  deserves a special mention. It is doing glorious massive damage ... often more than my best brute attack (and looks fun too). Foot stomp never gets old (well not yet anyway)

I just did a +5 ITF (so I was level <50 and it was a level 50 KM +4 ). Unlike most characters doing that I usually hit (double rage for the win) never suffered from DDR (I would either click a purple or just use the T9 armour power) and the damage was glorious... Sure I had to hit a +5 minion twice to take it down but I don't have many characters that can do that. 

There was a lot of talk about Stone armour above. I have characters that fully functional without granite. In granite mode I typically have a base of  around 70% psi resist (build for it). So one orange and most things are good... And granite is just incredulously tough. Without granite hardly anything is a problem, but granite is a god mode that you can click and leave on. The only problem is that it makes the game too 'easy mode'. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:21 PM, Erratic1 said:

I was speaking across the board. Typically yeah, we push S/L to 90% and certainly it is pretty easy to do. But what is your F/C/E/N? Most builds I have seen posted end in the 40-70% range, which is not exactly cap for a Brute. And yeah, EA and Inv, which I was addressing, have some amount of DDR.

F/C is below that on my EA Brute, but that's likely due to not using Purples. I'm soft capped to Cold, and it is used so little I would rarely notice it being enough of an issue to really go change it. The build is Claws/ea. A decent part of the time the mobs are on their butts. Point is, if I wanted to make EA as 'tough as nails', I don't think it will be that far behind Invul. I can Incarnate cap all Def outside of N/T/P, and N is soft capped with just the Alpha alone. Change up some slotting and some other stuff and EA is going to be very similar to Invul.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

On 9/9/2024 at 1:37 PM, Project said:

Interesting - However, how do you account for the fact that Stone Armors T9 power don't allow other powers to be stacked, and at the same time slows you and makes deal less damage? Doesn't that kind of take the edge off? 🙂

Stone armor can be built to have soft capped defenses to pretty much everything (S/L/F/etc etc). And a pretty high regen rate to back that up. All without Granite.