How do you start gold side?

I just discovered this myself, by accident. The Rogue Isles give you 2 more sub-choices: You can either go along with Emperor Cole which makes you a Loyalist, or against him which make you part of the Resistance. As a Loyalist, you have a sort of moral choice between using power to protect or to benefit yourself. I haven't gone that far into the storyline, so this is all I know.

So now I have a four-way split between my favs:

1) A hero turned vigilante. Started out as a hero, but found too many "capes" and "tights" already have Paragon City handled. Has inner turmoil about doing good and getting things done.

2) A Rogue who's part of the Resistance. A guy who does bad to do good, very Ends justify the means.

3) A Loyalist who's a proclaimed protector of peace, and is willing to keep it at any price. He doesn't see himself as evil. On the contrary, he is probably the only force of good in an evil society.

4) A villain (Mercy Isles -- just starting out). He's a serial killer. But he believes he does what he does to punish his "victims."

Sorry for digressing. Just when I thought CoH/CoV couldn't get any better, I just multiplied the fun X 4. (and don't get me started on the alts). So far, I'm enjoying the stories in the Rogue lsles more. =)

I just discovered this myself, by accident. The Rogue Isles give you 2 more sub-choices:

You have missed some.  You can be a Loyalist that pretends to be a Resistance and occasionally get secret objectives to subvert the mission you are on after you enter the mission.  Or a Resistance secretly subverting loyal missions.  You can switch sides multiple times, without having to do ten tip missions first.

Loyalty in Pratoria is malleable. 

If you do not face plant at least once a day; Go reset your Notoriety.