A new IO set idea

Just had an interesting idea go through my head a while back and im just now getting to putting it out there.

Just as a general Set (Maybe a thrid Archetype set or a second Generic set), would anyone support he idea of a set that changed your characters damage type?

i.e.

As Broad sword, you deal mostly Lethal Damage. This Proposed Set would have an IO that Turned all Lethal damage to Energy Damage in the Power it was slottted in?

I could envision the IO that would do this as even being randomized to turn X damage type into X damage type.

Putting aside for the moment how feasible this might be (both in terms of how it would actually work, particularly on powers that already do multiple damage types, and in terms of what a coding nightmare it would present)....

I'd take it.  Even if the damage type were random, I'd still take it, particularly on anything with primarily Psi damage.  Having even one attack that randomly does another damage type for when I hit those psi-resistant enemies would be a godsend.  (I assume the damage-changing IO would be a Unique)

(That said, I can't see them doing this - even assuming it can be done - for precisely that reason)

Putting aside for the moment how feasible this might be (both in terms of how it would actually work, particularly on powers that already do multiple damage types, and in terms of what a coding nightmare it would present)....

I'd take it.  Even if the damage type were random, I'd still take it, particularly on anything with primarily Psi damage.  Having even one attack that randomly does another damage type for when I hit those psi-resistant enemies would be a godsend.  (I assume the damage-changing IO would be a Unique)

(That said, I can't see them doing this - even assuming it can be done - for precisely that reason)

I think its feasible... After all they can change Knockback to knowckdown but ill admit this might be a problem "baked" into the power....

I think its feasible... After all they can change Knockback to knowckdown but ill admit this might be a problem "baked" into the power....

I don't know if your request is possible, but just wanted to try and clear up some confusion here. The KB-to-KD stuff is a whole different mechanic from what you're asking for, I think. Knockback is not actually being replaced with Knockdown. Knockdown already is Knockback.

Knockback uses magnitude, like mezzes, and Knockdown occurs when the KB mag is less than mag 1. Unlike mezzes though, Knockback enhancements affect magnitude (as opposed to duration like on other status effects), and so the way the KB-to-KD IOs work is by granting something like -9999% Knockback. That lowers the Knockback the power does below mag 1 and prevents it from ever getting above 1.

Interestingly (though unrelated to your statement), Knockup also functions differently depending on magnitude, but is always considered Knockup. Knockup less than mag 1 causes the target to backflip and doesn't trigger ragdoll physics (seen in Air Superiority), while Knockup with mag 1 or higher sends the target flying up in a horizontal position and will trigger ragdoll physics.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

This would require A LOT of coding and here is why:

Smashing is resisted A LOT in the end game... Psi... not so much.

So if you simply take an attack that does 100 smashing damage and then convert that to Psi... your attack is more powerful now than it was ever intended to be.

So in order to offset this the IO would have to be scaled for each type of damage and each type of modifier for each attack.

Not to sound rude, but the type of damage is baked intot he powers - if you want to do a different type of damage - that is what alts are for.

Just had an interesting idea go through my head a while back and im just now getting to putting it out there.

Just as a general Set (Maybe a thrid Archetype set or a second Generic set), would anyone support he idea of a set that changed your characters damage type?

i.e.

As Broad sword, you deal mostly Lethal Damage. This Proposed Set would have an IO that Turned all Lethal damage to Energy Damage in the Power it was slottted in?

I could envision the IO that would do this as even being randomized to turn X damage type into X damage type.

If smashing and lethal sets deal more damage overall because S/L is the most resisted damage type, then changing that damage type would make those powers just plain better, not merely different.

It could also make certain extras a little strange.  Negative energy causing knockdown?  Rad causing bleeding?  Cold causing fear?  Not really what those types do, you know?