Game crashes on screenshot

Rhinoxx

I have just got a new pc and was eager to see CoH on it once everything was working - but for some reason, the game crashes hard directly to the desktop whenever I try to do a screenshot.

This has never been an issue before and I am playing at the same resolution as on my old machine (2560 x 1440) - any ideas? Sucks to not be able to capture all the mayhem suddenly, so this is certainly a quality loss.

The gfx card is the same as in my old pc, so I have been using this resolution to capture screenshots at before.

A DXdiag readout is as follows:

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 7/16/2019, 08:49:40

Machine name: Yes

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/06/19 18:08:46 Ver: 05.0000E (type: BIOS)

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor          (16 CPUs), ~3.7GHz

Memory: 65536MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 65482MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0001 64bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 1660

More tests have been carried out.

• None of the compatibility settings have any effect on this
  • If I set screenshot to be TGA, there seems to be a slight freeze to the screen the first time I press Print Screen but after that nothing. Also, no screenshot is captured.

Can whatever code module that writes a jpg to the harddisk be damaged?

• I have tried to run the game in normal mode and administrator mode - no difference - crash to desktop the moment I hit printscreen
  • If I use a screengrab tool lige Snagit or capture a screenshot using nVidia Overlays, no problem - captures that screenshot. But it is of course not instant and amazing ingame as the native function

The only other thing I have noticed is, that as the game crashes, the HDMI source icon flashes briefly as my screen goes black and the desktop reappears - but I suspect this is maybe just the system switching from game to desktop?

• Retired Game Master

This happens whenever the game client can't write to the /screenshots folder for whatever reason.  Make sure that you have an empty /screenshots folder and that it's not read-only or otherwise unwritable.

8 hours ago, GM Capocollo said:

This happens whenever the game client can't write to the /screenshots folder for whatever reason.  Make sure that you have an empty /screenshots folder and that it's not read-only or otherwise unwritable.

THIS was the kicker - should be added to a Troubleshooting FAQ I suspect. Seems there was some sort of problem with read/write permissions on the drive - maybe something from being moved to a new installation of Windows?? - but formatted the drive, torrented the game files and reinstalled Tequila - now screenshots work again. Huzzah! 🙂

On 7/23/2019 at 4:41 PM, GM Capocollo said:

For some reason, my Screenshots folder, and indeed the CoH folder itself, is marked as Read-Only, and unsetting does not "stick" for whatever reason. I unset the Read-Only, and when I then look at the Properties again, it's reset to Read-Only.

Would the fact that my install is on my SSD have anything to do with this?

• Retired Game Master

In the Windows file system, the folders themselves are always "read-only" -- it prevents a program from trying to modify the folder itself and screwing up the file system. Permissions are what matter; check this in the Security tab in the folder's properties.  Your current user account needs to allow write permissions.

The SSD shouldn't matter, unless you've moved it from another computer and the folder permissions are still locked to the user on the previous computer.

It looks like you're not having the same problem as the OP of this thread, though.  Could you post a screenshot of the Binds tab in the game Options window showing what you've got bound to the Screenshot (TGA) function?

Edited by GM Capocollo

• 4 weeks later

Issue is back!

After today's patch - no matter if I choose the old option or the new 64bit option, the game again crashes on screenshots.

I have tried emptying the screenshot folder, tried deleting it and letting the game create it again - no matter, crash on screenshot every time.

What has changed?