Discord - Help an Old Man

Panache

I don't think I get Discord. Is it really just a collection of constantly updating comment threads? How is a person meant to navigate it to find information in which they're interested?

I'm hoping that these forums (fora if you're fancy) eventually grow to include some or many of the old child boards, such as Servers (SG and Name Watch sub-children FTW), Archetypes, Multimedia and Fan Creations, etc.

I don't think I get Discord. Is it really just a collection of constantly updating comment threads? How is a person meant to navigate it to find information in which they're interested?

I'm hoping that these forums (fora if you're fancy) eventually grow to include some or many of the old child boards, such as Servers (SG and Name Watch sub-children FTW), Archetypes, Multimedia and Fan Creations, etc.

Focus on the channels you care about and mute/ignore the rest. Use search to find specific information.

Discord is a closed and modern version of IRC of old.  It works well for small groups, but for thousands or tens of thousands of people it becomes incredibly unwieldy, IMO.

As for server, archetype, offtopic, and multimedia forums, you can find all of that at the unofficial City of Forums.

A lot of that already exists on Titan Network: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/

Quite possibly true, I don't spend a lot of time over at Titan (never really did), but then why have separate forums in the first place? 

It seems to me that the Homecoming folks are doing things in such a manner as to create their own identity/space.  As such, it seems that they might want to make it as complete as possible.  Why should the players be sent off to 2 or 3 different forums to get the information they need to play Homecoming content?

Discord is, as has been said, good for smaller groups of people.  However, it's very difficult to keep track of important info or questions with larger groups.  Questions and information get lost, and because they get lost they are left unanswered or ignored.

Well organized forums have a sense of stability, and can help take the load off of Discord.

A lot of that already exists on Titan Network: https://www.cohtitan.com/forum/

Quite possibly true, I don't spend a lot of time over at Titan (never really did), but then why have separate forums in the first place? 

It seems to me that the Homecoming folks are doing things in such a manner as to create their own identity/space.  As such, it seems that they might want to make it as complete as possible.  Why should the players be sent off to 2 or 3 different forums to get the information they need to play Homecoming content?

Discord is, as has been said, good for smaller groups of people.  However, it's very difficult to keep track of important info or questions with larger groups.  Questions and information get lost, and because they get lost they are left unanswered or ignored.

Well organized forums have a sense of stability, and can help take the load off of Discord.

Agreed about well organized forums having a sense of stability and take a load off of Discord.  As to why have different forums?  Because, like it or not, there are multiple groups running CoH game servers already, not just Homecoming.  There will be even more CoH game servers in the future.  In the end, they're all City of Heroes.  Instead of looking at one particular server's forum, there can be central forums that people can use to share information across servers.

Hi There,

If anyone is looking for a forum which caters for people who dislike or do not which to use Discord, then I could suggest you give https://www.rogueisles.com a try. The site is new and is still being worked on, but is more than functional and uses a modern forum with tons of features.

You can create your own space for you Supergroups and give you access to your own forums, calendars (events), members area and moderators. More information here: https://www.rogueisles.com/topic/28-starting-a-supergroup-on-rogue-isles or create your Supergroup hideout here: https://www.rogueisles.com/supergroups/.

Discord also has voice channels.

It's like IRC + Ventrillo combined into one.

Except with Vent it didn't require you to make an account filled with info they could easily sell to 3rd parties to pay for their servers. No, no, no. Discord is not the answer.

Because I am hard you will not like me. But more you hate me, the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair...

~Gny. Sgt. Heartman, Full Metal Jacket

I am the 'Slow Moving Madness'. I am Wandering Mania.

Missing the point.

We don't want to run around to a bunch of different forums like chickens with their heads cut off.

People are already coming HERE.  So, why not make it a nice place to stay?

I sincerely hope they do make it a nice place to stay.  That would be great.  My point is, as it stands right now, there's a bunch of players in different silos, with a lot of questions and information being repeated, and it's only to get worse as more servers come online.  There should be areas available for people from different servers to pool together their resources, and Discord is not suitable for a lot of it.

Missing the point.

We don't want to run around to a bunch of different forums like chickens with their heads cut off.

People are already coming HERE.  So, why not make it a nice place to stay?

I'm sorry that you feel I am missing the point, but I agree with you that this forum should be the main place for information and not scattered across the internet. I created the forum because there is nothing which fills my needs. Discord shouldn't be getting used the way this team are using it, and this forum is as old as the dinosaur. The powers that be want everyone to use a jumped up chat room which is not fit for purpose. I want to be able to post a thread and have a chat about the topic rather than looking through a chatroom to find answers I need.

I think if they wanted to do anything serious with this forum, they wouldn't have got everyone to use Discord.... so I can't see them suddenly changing their minds and getting everyone to start using this forum as a serious tool for discussion.

Also, my forum does something which this forum will not.... we offer COH community members a home for their Supergroups.