Backstory Competition Winners!!

Nexros

The Order of Thorns VG/SG out of Excelsior has been hosting a bio contest for the past week (https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,6902.0.html). And here are the winners!

1st Place

La Petite Mort

50,000,000 Inf

"One time, where you're hiding's when she met ya

"Two times, she knows you won't forget her

"Three times, you'd do anything to f--- her

"Last time

"Last time

"Last time, ya dead before morning"

As the DJ spins The Crystal Method's "Murder" you notice someone staring at you, a pretty little thing with the most striking eyes. Her gaze holds promises, and you feel yourself flushing with desire. She smiles and exits, knowing you'll follow.

Elsewhere the police have found another body, naked in the victim's own bed. The only trace of evidence is a ring missing from the ring finger. No one knows why the perp collects them.

At the moment you don't care about anything else. You're having the night of your life. At the end the last thing you hear is the woman leaning in to whisper, "Was it good for you, sweetheart?"

A Few Comments from the Judges!

• I found myself wanting to know more.
  • Much darker than I expected to see in this competition. Is this allowed? Is it ok that I like this?
  • Reads like a horror flick synopsis.
  • Intriguing. More please!

2nd Place

Snapping Turtle

10,000,000 Inf

Crane prances, Tiger postures,

Snake slithers, Monkey swings.

Observe in patience evergreen,

Envy not Eagle's wings.

For you are Snapping Turtle,

Blades break against your skin.

Your gaze carries epochs,

Infinite power, from within.

Glide through depthless ocean,

As you do through endless foe.

The currents rush around you,

As you decide a battle's flow.

As the rain erodes the mountain,

So too does your Way.

Within a vice of crushing jaws,

Predators become prey.

For all who live long in this world:

Your duty is to defend it!

Snapping Turtle never starts a fight,

But will always rise to end it.

• A poem about a fighting turtle? I know this one! Just kidding. this was a real pleasure to read and stands on its own as a piece of art.
  • Expertly written!
  • It sounds like the turtle, or maybe his/her master wrote this as encouragement? I started to think we could make a trilogy out of expanding this.

2nd Place Yes, second place was tied.

Lily Frankenstein

I shall neither crawl nor bend a knee and for this I am braided a radical or a revolutionist. I am pure and bold, iron and sinew both. I will be no man's nor creature's bride. Thus the world calls me monster, but that is your crime not mine. I was created to rule. Mankind's blood will water my garden and sate my vengeance. I am eternal for I am the dead.

Fleeing both her maker and her mate; found and freed from a slumber of over 200 years at the bottom of a sunken ship off the Rogue Isles. A Penny Dreadful from a time of Gods and Monsters. Incarnate and Unbound. Her journey through Paragon City has brought her full circle. Now, with allies Aurora Borealis/Tyrka, Vernon Von Grun, and the Dream Doctor, she seeks to end the bondage of her liberator from her watery tomb--Ghost Widow.

Cry "HAVOC!" and let slip the dogs of war!

• I love how this incorporated the lore of the game. I didn't see that as much as I thought I would.
  • The first bit gave me the chills. I just imagined it being read by Bill Nighy, haha!

Honorable Mentions

Lost Poet

A royal maiden young and fair, her beauty far renowned; A minstrel he without a care, between them love they found; A wizard old and vain and cruel, the maiden he desired; Rejection made him feel the fool, and raised unholy ire;  "Choose me or death," the wizard said, quoth she, "I'd rather die." The wizard cried, "You will be bled," and magic foul let fly; The minstrel jumped in front of her, to block the vile spell; The cantrip shattered where and when, and sent the bard to hell; A thousand years he fought and strove; this poet of the damned; Conjurings of his own he wove, to 'scape that nether land; Returned at last unto our world, he wept before the dawn; Ten centuries had come unfurled, his love was dead and gone.

Liz Nasty

"Longbow case file: Riot at The Cellar, Skyway City, August 23th, 2002. Abridged transcript of video used as evidence leading to the conviction and incarceration of Elizabeth Kain, aka ""Liz Nasty"".

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

Kain and her band ""[expletive] Rippers"" are performing. The audience has turned violent.

E.K.: ...[expletive] THE SYSTEM! SMASH THE SYSTEM! KILL THE WHITE HATS, TAKE THEIR CAPES!

Rioters take swings at each other. Kain shouts at a light, smashing it and raining glass on the crowd.

E.K.: [laughs] THAT'S IT, THIS IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT! TEAR IT UP, TEAR IT DOWN!

Police sirens are heard. The band stops playing.

E.K.: Stupid white hats, just when it was getting good!

There are some verbal exchanges with the police, then a volley of tear gas followed by a SWAT team. In a last act of defiance, Kain screams into her previously unused microphone. The resulting feedback blows the speakers and knocks everyone out, including the camera operator and Kain herself.

END TRANSCRIPT"

Nexros Yeah, ok, I entered... so sue me.

Ugh, wait. That's right, last thing I remember is Ahren. Then, by Satan, I remember. Ahren is dead!

No no, that's not right. The last thing I remember is helping Isidore of Seville. But then he turned on me; that bastard! I'll destroy him and his little cult if it's the last...

"My Lord... Nexros...," stuttered a terrified looking Circle of Thorns leader.

"I.. uh.. we have summoned you, as so many have in years past."

A wide array of strange faces, adorned in hoods, staring back at me.

No! Am I in Oranbega?

"We have succeeded! We have returned Lord Nexros from oblivion; to the glory of the Circle!" exclaimed another mage from the shadows.

"Is that so?" Whomever these people are, they have made a grave mistake!

Dark energy swirls around Nexros like a hateful maelstrom and all the mages crumple into death where they stand.

"I made the Thorn, you fools! How dare you steal my brother's power!"

The mages slowly begin to rise, the light extinguished from their eyes.

"It is YOU, who will be joining ME!"

Judas

Lead guitarist and frontman of the death metal band V.E.C.K.T.O.R., Judas Rose's frantic music and violent sound garnered him quite a following within the Hellions. His lyrics were his sermons, and soon, he was a bonafide preacher, galvanizing the street gang with talk of 'releasing their demons' and 'burning those in power down to ashes.'

A self-admitted nihilist and hedonist to his very core, Judas relished having an army at his beck and call causing chaos. His bandmates? Not so much. That's why he's a solo act now. The break-up was messy -- bloody, too. Judas sacrificed those closest to him to a mysterious demonic entity and wound up with much more to show for it than thirty pieces of silver.

Awesome job putting this together Nexros, and congrats to all the winners

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I clearly chose the wrong one to enter. >.>

Congrats to the winners. The competition was TOTALLY rigged, rigged I say! :p

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Oh no! I hope more don't feel that way. There were so many good entries and the judges really enjoyed it! So I'm certain this will happen again in the near future. Looking forward to reading more Zolgar!

Oh no! I hope more don't feel that way. There were so many good entries and the judges really enjoyed it! So I'm certain this will happen again in the near future. Looking forward to reading more Zolgar!

I hope you don't mistake what I said as any sort of bitterness. :)

There's a certain flavor found among most of the placed/honorable mentions, and that is to be expected because something like a bio competition is highly subjective. In my case, I could have given myself a better chance by submitting a different bio, but not knowing what sort of preference the judges would have I had to throw something at the wall and hope it would stick, just like everyone else did.

And the rigged comment was entirely a joke.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.