Verification emails not being sent?

carroto

Is anyone else experiencing this?  The new forums require verification of new accounts via email, but those emails don't seem to be going out.  I've tried twice with different email addresses and nothing at all.  It's been many hours and nothing.  I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of it.  Am I the only one who has tried, or is this problem just happening to me?

• Retired Game Master

Hi.

Right now the system isn't sending those verification emails out. The reason for it not doing so seems to be that something is technically wrong. Two things are delaying the resolution of this problem:

1. There seems to be some issue about the new forums not working as intended. Some debate is going on as to whether or not we are switching back to the old ones and if so, how.

2. Our devs needed sleep. Approximately 48 continuous hours of very hard work went into getting this forum ready and in place. At some point further work just was not possible and sleep was required before they had to go to their regular jobs.

Which is to say, yes it's a problem. Yes, we know about it. We've put up a notice that will hopefully forestall further attempts to create new accounts. We hope a resolution is coming soon. We do not know what that resolution may be. We do not know exactly when that resolution may come, because the devs are either A: Asleep or B: Working their normal jobs.

At this point, we counsel patience. I'm very sorry this has occurred, but at the present moment there is nothing to be done about it. Even a few GMs are caught up in the problem themselves.

I hope this is solved soon, but in the meantime, our apologies.

• Thanks 2

"No, really. He's a GM. Don't ask me."

--The Entire Server, probably.

25 minutes ago, GM Fiddleback said:

Hi.

Right now the system isn't sending those verification emails out. The reason for it not doing so seems to be that something is technically wrong. Two things are delaying the resolution of this problem:

1. There seems to be some issue about the new forums not working as intended. Some debate is going on as to whether or not we are switching back to the old ones and if so, how.

2. Our devs needed sleep. Approximately 48 continuous hours of very hard work went into getting this forum ready and in place. At some point further work just was not possible and sleep was required before they had to go to their regular jobs.

Which is to say, yes it's a problem. Yes, we know about it. We've put up a notice that will hopefully forestall further attempts to create new accounts. We hope a resolution is coming soon. We do not know what that resolution may be. We do not know exactly when that resolution may come, because the devs are either A: Asleep or B: Working their normal jobs.

At this point, we counsel patience. I'm very sorry this has occurred, but at the present moment there is nothing to be done about it. Even a few GMs are caught up in the problem themselves.

Thanks for the update!  We know you're not just hanging us out to dry and knowing that you're working on it is very much appreciated.

Edited by gwapogaming

1 hour ago, GM Fiddleback said:

Thank you for the update.  It's disappointing of course, but at least we know.  Not knowing what's going on is sometimes the hardest part.  I'm sure I don't speak only for myself when I say that I'm very appreciative of everyone's efforts involved in this project and I want everyone to get the rest they need and take care of their other business.  And then hurry up and get us access to the game we love.  😁

I have to say the biggest surprise is that the problem is severe enough that a complete rollback is being considered.  I never expected that.  I hope we get the full story once the dust has settled.  All I ask from here is that continued updates be provided as allowed by requirements for rest and other life obligations.

• City Council

What Fiddleback said (thank you!) is correct; emails were intentionally left in a non-working state last night to act as a measure to prevent new accounts from being created until a decision is made about if/when we're migrating back to the old forums.

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!