++ Art Talk ++

News, commissions, updates, sales, hardware/software and other stuff you need to know about.

Wanna show off your latest commission? Know of an artist whose work deserves more attention?

Heard about a sale others might want to take advantage of? This is the place to share info and content with the community.

Have questions about what hardware or software you should get for content creation? What common pitfalls you should try to avoid? 

Ask away. Your fellow artists, art appreciators and collectors probably have relevant experience and wisdom they can share to help you out.

While I was typing out (for seemingly the gazillionth time) my thoughts on what the best free and low

cost art programs are at the time it occurred to me that we should have a thread for all those common questions

that come up periodically and a place to pool our collective knowledge and share our recommendations. So lets talk art!

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

I will kick it off with a copy of that post I made on free digital painting tools...

Well the old standby is GIMP but there are several

new contenders for the crown of best free app.

Overall I would suggest you look into

#1 Krita - Gets a lot of press as being the best of the free digital paint tools.

#2 Medibang - Lightweight and more simple but still fairly robust.

#3 Sketchbook Pro - Officially licensed COPICS w00t!

Caveat on SBp though. It used to be a paid program it went free a while back but it makes you

login and be connected to their server at all times (unless they have changed this recently) which most

likely means that they are collecting information on you and selling it so while it is technically "free" in that you don't

have to pay for it... you have become the product they are profiting from, so it's not truly free in the fullest

sense of the word. That said it is the closest thing you can get (digitally) to having Copic Markers

in all shades/colors ever made with unlimited ink and it's hard to deny the value in that.

For a small upfront investment there is also Paint Tool SAI v2 and Mischief for your consideration.

Many people love SAI for it's brushes and Mischief is all vector based so nothing loses quality with scaling...

also they have the whole crazy "infinite canvas" thing which you kind of have to see to believe. There are  youtube vids.

Anywho those are my thoughts on it. There are a few others like M$ Paint (it's trying to get better) and FireAlpaca (too buggy

and unstable when last I tried it but it may have improved) and the aforementioned GIMP but those are the big names as best I know.

P.S. Though they are getting rarer you can still sometimes find (on sites like eBay) licensed copies of Photoshop Elements.

This was the little brother to Photoshop CS(X) and had like 80% of what the full PS had. I saw one a few months back disc and key for $15.

Anyone else have personal experience with free or low cost programs of this sort?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

I got her notice on DA last night and was going to post it if no one else did so thanks Kage for sharing.

I can definitely vouch for Avi as well. I have been following her for years on DA. Very consistent

quality, quick turn around and though Polish is her first language her English is great and

there is very little if any language barrier. Furthermore she has done a ton of art of CoH

characters in the past so she has familiarity with the game and costume creator.

** /e goes to grab a slot for himself ** 

07K1tHnz_o.png

Was it the browser you were using? The new forum version is better in some ways

but there are still several bugs to be worked out. Glad you can post now and welcome Kai. zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 7/27/2019 at 7:12 AM, Darth Delicious said:

*tries to outrun CR* 😛

Hah, too slow! rs4wmRnk_o.gif

On 7/28/2019 at 12:41 AM, Midnight Blue Mage said:

Did either of you guys happen to get a response? I haven't heard anything back yet, but it's possible I made a mistake in my request somehow

Yeah I did, a few hours after I sent my refs in.

It basically said, "Your slot is reserved, thanks for ordering. Invoice sent!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

19 hours ago, Caemgen said:

Well as CR got some response from here and you didn't, couldn't hurt to send a follow up saying something like "Hi, just wanted to see if I was quick enough to snag one of the spots for commissions or not?  No particular rush or anything, just want to plan my art spending accordingly..."🙂

Good advice. I sent a follow-up, fingers crossed :]

Also mentioned elsewhere but it should be here as well Europa777 is having a buy 3 get 1 free sale.

His full body B&W art is $15 and with this sale they become essentially $11.25 a piece for art like this.

spacer.png

Also his model sheets which are $40 become $30 a piece if you buy 4 for $120.

They have 3 full body and two headshots each meaning roughly $6 per drawing of your hero if you buy in bulk.

More options and info here...

https://www.deviantart.com/europa777/art/SINGLE-CHARACTER-B-W-3-1-ART-SALE-786564452

• Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 8/1/2019 at 7:28 PM, Robothenri said:

I need to find my pencil...

I suggest looking in your small thermal exhaust port... right below the main port. E9rkOkuW_o.gif

On 8/1/2019 at 5:01 PM, Caemgen said:

......................... I never thought I would "adopt" but I actually saw one of Cathrine6Mirror's outfits that just totally said "Fenian"

in my head and wouldn't go away so I snatched it up. 🙂  ....................................

I took a quick scan through the thumbnails until I saw the green/red

one with the hood and I was like, yep I bet that's it.

Yep it was.

• Haha 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

2 hours ago, ubergeek2012 said:

Did you ever hear back on this?  I had also put in for a slot and didn't hear back either, and I didn't want to bombard them.

Unfortunately I have not :< 

I hope it still happens but I'm assuming the artist is just swamped and/or has other preoccupations at the moment, so it's all gravy

57 minutes ago, Midnight Blue Mage said:

@Darth Delicious @ubergeek2012 I just now heard back from the artist this morning! I'm optimistic that she'll be in touch with you guys soon :]

It looks like she's catching up, I got my invoice a little while ago.  I'm looking forward to seeing the result, this is the first time I've ever commissioned character art.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later

I just got my two Europa777's back from his sale. Here is the first, my MA/Shield scrapper Shieldara.

One fist is a bit larger than the other but it's an easy tweak that he probably just forgot to do.

Next time I get a block of free time I'll add colors or maybe I'll make it a collab. zb7XgP0P_o.png

ixlRIUCm_o.jpg

A generous gift from Caemgen, thanks again!

• Like 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

Woohoo! Gratz Midnight Blue that IS awesome looking.

I swear this guy is like an artistic boot savant. It's an area I don't think

much about but every time I see Erwin's art I am struck by how nice his boot lineart is.

@Darth Delicious I guess I have to now cuz wow he really went to town on my Ill/Emp goddess Xllusya!

0VnKgPyU_o.jpg

I mean there are little details again (like the counterweight is missing from the

butt of the staff or the two parts of the main cog wheel where it meets the base are

different sizes) that are just slightly off but again these are easy fixes that he might even be

willing to do himself (I haven't asked him). All things considered this is still crazy good lineart for

what the man charges. The fact that he puts up stuff like this for $6 on sale when you buy in bulk is insane.

Again a big thanks to Caemgen for this awesome gift artz! I love how this came out!

• Like 2

07K1tHnz_o.png