Water blast help

graeberguinn

Need help. Want a water blast/?  Was thinking energy, heard time is also good for ranged. I will be picking up fly/hover and plan to be off ground as much as possible. I don't mind a couple good melee attacks for obvious situations but I prefer no pbaoes where I have to be in melee, as again, with water I plan to be ranged amap. 

I hope to achieve as much survivability I can. And put out the dmg to melt faces. 

I haven't gotten into IO/sets past basic IO slotting. So any recommendations are welcome. 

I also have no idea what epic to go with.

I prefer a plan for my build so I'm not just flying blind and having to respec. Any help/tips/advice is appreciated. 

TY

- if you love to play with bind, go energy to solve the huge problem of water (lack of snipe, so lack of +range it's kinda a disadvantage for some encounter), again i wouldnt touch energy secondary with a stick if i wouldnt bind energize/boost 

- if you are afraid to be squishy you can consider temporal or plant (i would stay away from martial since water tidal forces is a lower effect aim and you gonna lack a proper buildup, and ice manipulation aura  is more around a closeup playstile)

- if you want just some passive boost you may consider tactical arrow, since the usefull stuff hardly pull off the bow anyway

Going to highly recommend you go with Time.  It’s pretty sick.  Water has all the offense you really need, so you can skip time’s PBAOE.  

Temporal healing gives my blaster 118 health absorption every few seconds, about an extra 40ish or so if Chronos is active.   Combined with all the knock ups, survivability is through the roof.  

For slotting your water stuff, I like to put debuff procs in steamspray ( -20 resist from annihilation, and -20 resist from Achilles ). Chance for + recharge in water burst, and sometimes i place it in hydroblast too if I have that   Since time gives you a lot of recharge, you can slot a little more aggressively for water, since you don’t have to chase as many +recharge set bonuses.    I go ham on the proc slotting for geyser, water burst, and water jet.  I will usually go for set bonuses in whirlpool, hydroblast or water bolt.    

For time, a lot of the powers you won’t use very often.  There’s that AOE disorient later on, and a couple single target cc’s.  The big bonus for time is timelord, temporal healing, and Chronos. So you have a lot of access to slot mules.  Depending on whatever content you’re going for will determine what you need to slot in them, though. 

For epics - fire or ice are what I’ve messed around with.  Ice gives you two heals, an armor toggle, and a targeted aid sleep that can be slotted with a heal proc.    Fire gives you bonfire, toggle armor, and melt armor / char.  Ice is better beyond needing fire resistance.  Since it gives you some other helpful defense. 

Edited by natewest1987

13 hours ago, graeberguinn said:

So with energy, would it be worth it to take build up or just slot  the gaussians IO in tidal forces? 

And what is best for stealth? Actual stealth, Celerity in Sprint/fly/hover?

This is the build I'm currently using.  Only at level 40.  So far, its pretty powerful.  I use both build up and Tidal Forces, sometimes together sometimes separate depending on fighting cadence and who we are facing.  My build uses adjusted targeting because I happened to have a lot of them lying around. I might switch to gaussians, but I am happy at level 40 with these sets.  When I expert pressure, the enemies fall quickly, even if they are +5!   I think it is is worth it to get stealth power, you get a def bonus too from it!  Stacked with superspeed I havent been seen yet.

I may switch out phase shift for the pool power placate.  Gotta wait to see how it works. 

Anyhow, this build is a lot of fun!

Softcapped on DEF: Smashing/ Lethal / Energy/ Range, just short of softcap for neg energy.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Halcyon Fox: Level 50 Mutation Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Energy Manipulation
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Hydro Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(48), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(50)
Level 2: Water Burst -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(11)
Level 4: Build Up -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(37), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(37), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(37), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(39), AdjTrg-Rchg(39)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(11), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(13), PstBls-Dam%(15), TchofLadG-%Dam(15)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- AdjTrg-ToHit(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/Rchg(31), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(34), AdjTrg-EndRdx/Rchg(36), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(36), AdjTrg-Rchg(36)
Level 10: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(43)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(17), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(17), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21)
Level 14: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Energize -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal(50)
Level 18: Water Jet -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(25), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(25)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43)
Level 22: Super Speed -- Run-I(A)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(45)
Level 26: Steam Spray -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(27), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(27), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(29), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(29), TchofLadG-%Dam(31)
Level 28: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Geyser -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(34)
Level 35: Boost Range -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 38: Total Focus -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(40), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(40), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(40), Mk'Bit-Dam%(42)
Level 41: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(42), GldArm-ResDam(42)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(45), Rct-ResDam%(45)
Level 47: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(48), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Phase Shift -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(50)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(43)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
------------

Couple questions Zenijos10..

You use stealth and super speed, since I use fly/hover would it still work the same? 

You went villian mace mastery, is scorpion shield that good? And do you feel you have enough attacks with water? 

Can you briefly explain your thought process and slotting choices to someone who has not familiar with io sets? 

And you are def softcap? Is that better than resist? Do you find yourself having good solo survivability? 

Thanks for the already good info. Helps alot. 

Edited by graeberguinn

The build from zenijos10 figures in Power Boost and the full numbers from stealth to be soft capped.  Neither of these are realistic as Power Boost is not perma and you lose some of the defense once you start attacking.  So while in combat it would be at 37% ranged defense and 42.7 while Power Boost is running.  It also ignores the OP request to use fly.  As far as stealth goes, it depends on what your goal is.  If you want to skip everything and not be seen then you will need either super speed with Celerity or actual stealth with Celerity.  If your goal is to just not be seen until you are ready to attack and you are OK with hovering over stuff to skip it then just Celerity in sprint will do without having to dedicate a power pool and power pick for it. 

Defense is better (most of the time) than resist if you have to pick between one or the other.  It is better to not get hit than to get hit for less damage.  However when a defense debuff does make its way past it will make it easier for others to get through as well.  Generally speaking, mobs have a 50% chance to hit you and will always have a 5% chance no matter what.  So once you get to 45% you will only get hit 5% of the time again speaking generally.  On a blaster, the majority of the attacks against you will be from range so you want your ranged defense to be at or near that 45% mark.  Smashing and Lethal are, at the least, a part of much of the damage in the game so having high defense against those is handy as well for those AoE grenades that get tossed your way.  That is where Scorpion Shield helps.  It also adds handy set bonuses for LotG recharge.  You could pick either Soul or Mu for higher S/L resists but you would lose a little recharge.  Those are the only ones that give your damage/resist shield with 1 power pick.  Those do require you to be on villain side and run the patron arc to unlock them.  Most times if you need help with those give a shout out and someone will join.

Now here is something Water/Energy that fits all the requirements of the OP.  You can play at range and the only melee attack is forced at lvl one and would be used for knocking stuff away from you.  Soft capped ranged defense (without Power Boost) if you go with Agility Core and well beyond when you do use Power Boost.  It also will exemplar down well for doing the TF of the week or if you feel like doing all the flashbacks in the game.  It is also a great combo as if you do get hit, you have the ability to hit Power Boost which will up your defense and with Dehydrate in your attack chain you will be healing a little all the time in addition to having another small heal in Energize.  For those time you feel like running to the end of a mission you have some stealth in Celerity and Afterburner will help you not run into wall while flying and give enough extra defense that if you do get seen you will not likely be getting hit often.  Just remember to turn it off before you start attacking as you can only use powers that affect yourself while it is on.

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Energy Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Hydro Blast -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Power Thrust -- Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg(A), Mk'Bit-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Mk'Bit-Dmg/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(9), Mk'Bit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), Mk'Bit-Dam%(11)
Level 2: Water Burst -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(13), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(15), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(15), FrcFdb-Rechg%(17)
Level 4: Hover -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(19), Rct-ResDam%(21), Rct-Def(21)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- PstBls-Dam%(A), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), PstBls-Acc/Dmg(23), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(25), PstBls-Dmg/Rchg(25), TchofLadG-%Dam(27)
Level 8: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(27)
Level 10: Build Up -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(29), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(29), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(31), GssSynFr--Build%(31)
Level 12: Tidal Forces -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 14: Dehydrate -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(33), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 16: Energize -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(36)
Level 20: Water Jet -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(36), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37)
Level 22: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 26: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 28: Steam Spray -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(40), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(42)
Level 30: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Geyser -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(42), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(45)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def(45), Rct-Def/EndRdx(46)
Level 38: Boost Range -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 44: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(46), UnbGrd-Max HP%(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), UnbGrd-ResDam(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50), Rct-Def(50), Rct-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19)
Level 1: Combo Level 1 
Level 1: Combo Level 2 
Level 1: Combo Level 3 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

On 8/6/2019 at 12:15 PM, graeberguinn said:

Couple questions Zenijos10..

You use stealth and super speed, since I use fly/hover would it still work the same? 

You went villian mace mastery, is scorpion shield that good? And do you feel you have enough attacks with water? 

Can you briefly explain your thought process and slotting choices to someone who has not familiar with io sets? 

And you are def softcap? Is that better than resist? Do you find yourself having good solo survivability? 

Thanks for the already good info. Helps alot. 

As Helencarnate pointed out, my build is only at the softcap with power boost.  I should have been clear on that.  Even without that though, it is still pretty sturdy for a blaster.  Also, I didn't include fly, but super speed and combat jumping could be swapped out for fly and hover.

I went with villain mace mastery for the Defense and storyline reasons.  Getting patron powers and switching sides are almost trivial in homecoming.  The hero side powers that provide defense also come with effects that I don't like as much.  Each armor power has a specific look to it.  Also Scorpion shield doesn't require you get any other powers in the pool.

As for defense vs resistance, if I can only get one I go for defense. Helencarnate's explanation is solid.  Also, Helencarnate's build is very strong and I will probably borrow some ideas.

As far as thought process, let me walk you through:

First, this is a blaster meant to blast- to inflict damage.  That means, it's good to start with making sure my attacks are solid- most important to this build was ranged attacks.  I only took two melee, the one they made me take and tier nine.  It was too hard for me to pass up the extreme damage. Even though I plan to stay out of melee range, I can completely avoid it, so total focus might come in handy there.  Additionally, I can 6 slot Mako's in it, which among other bonuses will give me +3.75 ranged defense which is about as good as unslotted weave.  I avoided the other melee attacks because I want to avoid melee.  I put blistering cold into Power Thrust for the obvious set bonuses, but also for the chance to hold.  I figured I can use it to knockback and potentially hold any villains that get to close.  If hasten is active, that power is ready in less than 2 seconds.

Blasters are squishy by design, but I don't want to be liability to my team.  So after getting my attacks, I want to make sure I am sturdy enough to survive enemy attention.   For this blaster I focused on Range positional defense, and smashing, lethal, energy, and negative typed defense.  Around 40% (without power boost) I'm no scrapper or tank, but I should be able to survive unwanted attention now and then.  Add in power boost and I can maybe survive a group's alpha here and there.  Finally using phase shift (or misdirection), I have an oh - sh** button to get out of sticky spots. 

I only slotted my defensive powers with 3 or less slots due to scarcity and diminishing return for my slots.  You could probably squeeze out 2-3 more defense points from the chosen powers and 5% more range defense from slot bonuses if I added more slots at the cost of some powers.  Power thrust or total focus might be candidate to give up slots to 6 slot scop shield or weave.  Stealth and combat jumping 6 slotted is probably a poor return on slots.  Since I'm not building for resist, tough probably isn't worth any more slots. Some might say to add more to tough, s ome might argue I used too many on it and that the unique +defense IOs are enough.  Additionally, energize's +regen and dehydrate's heal over time also add to survivability.  Side note: The chance for absorb in energize will fire even if I don't use energize.

I chose concealment pool because it gives me +def power, makes travel easier and gives me two powers to put Luck of the Gambler +recharge into.  That leads me to some other considerations like recharge.   My basic thought is that I want enough recharge to always have an attack ready and to be able to use my tier 9 blast at least every other group.  At 145% I have enough for this, and to answer your question about attacks, I think 7 ranged, and two melee attacks (along with energize, boost range, power boost, hasten, buildup, and tidal forces as well as possible incarnate powers) are more than enough to consistently fill my attack chain.

Also make sure to watch your endurance drain versus recovery.  I don't know how much is actually enough, but I try to aim for a difference of about 2/s including the performance shifter proc.

Also consider mez, knockback, immobilize, etc protection.  Defiance is a nice power to have, but it's not a complete replacement for protection.   For the build I posted it might make sense to add the knockback IO, generally, I hope to avoid it by staying far back, but obviously that's not gonna work all the time.

As a general synopsis, when using IO sets, make sure you choose useful powers first, concentrate on making them effective, then choose sets which help you fill a role.  For me the water blaster role I want to fill is to be a team player who can obliterate groups from a far and survive being noticed.  That idea informs all my choices.  One other concern is price, ATOs WOs and purples are nice, but often the additional expense is not worth the added utility.  So I think the best advice for IO set builds is to begin with the end in mind.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, graeberguinn said:

Need help. Want a water blast/?  Was thinking energy, heard time is also good for ranged. I will be picking up fly/hover and plan to be off ground as much as possible. I don't mind a couple good melee attacks for obvious situations but I prefer no pbaoes where I have to be in melee, as again, with water I plan to be ranged amap. 

I hope to achieve as much survivability I can. And put out the dmg to melt faces. 

I haven't gotten into IO/sets past basic IO slotting. So any recommendations are welcome. 

I also have no idea what epic to go with.

I prefer a plan for my build so I'm not just flying blind and having to respec. Any help/tips/advice is appreciated. 

TY

My first thought is honestly time. Water blast reminds me of fire a lot and ihave a fire/time which plays very well Good end recovery time has a nice AOE disorient that is up pretty often so with the AOE in water its a nice combo to eat away a mob that is not fighting back. However the question comes in the trade offs. 

I have an energy/energy blaster that is also a hover blaster. He has soft capped range defense and 69 percent res to smashing lethal and mid ranged def and res to most everything else. I achieved that by way of having powers that energy secondary don't really require you to take. Boost range, power boost, and stun. Those three powers right there allowed me to open up the fighting pool and take tough, and weave (and of course boxing). And left other choices open like maneuvers etc. Mako's bite has some pretty decent bonuses to help with defense and those slot into melee attacks. And when I was doing my Fire/Time blaster I mostly had to skip the melee attacks because I liked the rest of the set's tools so much I could nto decide on anything else to skip. Now don't get me wrong I can still max out the def and stuff on that blaster, but it is more of a choice of play style. I really am one of those blasters that has no problem standing in back of a taunted AV slapping them down with energy punch, total focus, and bone crusher from melee range. I don't get those options on my fire/time but I do get powers that give -regen, perma end recovery, an AOE Disorient, etc. You just really need to decide beyond the primary what you really want and what you are willing to give up to fill out those extra power choices that most of us take to give us some solid defenses. Maybe more of those powers are in the primary for you, my water/kin corruport only has like 4 attacks from the primary pool now. But can stand in the mobs pick up his own buffs from fulcrum shift and slap down a geyser with no issues at all.