Exemplaring and IOs

Mansome

Hi all,

I just wanted to know what the general rule of thumb is when dealing with set IOs if you exemplar. For instance the mastermind pet recipes that give a defense or resistance aura what level does the aura turn off if slotted in a power you got at level 1. What happens with IOs like Miracle and Numina's that are slotted in health? What happens with damage proc IOs? The reason I am asking all this is things seem different from what I remember on live because I have access to more powers when exemplared. Due to that I am now considering a second build just for exemplar when I hit level 50.

This is probably not 100% comprehensive, but someone will correct/add whatever I've missed or got wrong.

If it's treated like a set bonus (i.e. shows up in the set bonus list when you look up your character ID), it's going to work down to -3 of the level of the enhancement or -3 of the level of the set in case you're using something that's attuned. 

• Example 1: if you have 6 slotted a power with a set of level 50 IOs, you'd get the bonuses down to level 47.
  • Example 2: you have 6 slotted a power with attuned IOs from a lvl 20-50 set, you'd get the set bonuses down to lvl 17.
  • Example 3: you have 6 slotted a power with two IOs at 50, one 40, one 30, one 20 and one attuned, from a IO set that's lvl 20-50. You'll get all bonuses down to lvl 47 after which the two level 50 IOs cease counting leaving you at 3 bonuses down to 37 after which the lvl 40 ceases counting and so on all the way to 17. 
  • Example 4: if you've slotted purples or ATOs, those set bonuses carry down to level 1 if you still have access to the power.

If it's treated as an enhancement (i.e. unique effect that doesn't show up in set bonuses: Miracle +Rec, most if not all procs), it'll work so long as you have access to the power it's slotted in.

11 minutes ago, Mansome said:

The reason I am asking all this is things seem different from what I remember on live because I have access to more powers when exemplared.

I'm pretty sure this was changed at some point late on the official servers, but you now have access to powers 5 levels higher than what you're exemplared to, for example, exemplaring to 20 allows you to use the powers you acquired at 22 and 24, too.

• Thanks 1

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

1 hour ago, DSorrow said:

Example 4: if you've slotted purples or ATOs, those set bonuses carry down to level 1 if you still have access to the power.

Purple (very rare) and PvP set bonuses carry all the way down to level 1, even if the power it is slotted in is unavailable.  This is why there's no point in obtaining attuned purple sets.  😄

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ideon said:

Purple (very rare) and PvP set bonuses carry all the way down to level 1, even if the power it is slotted in is unavailable.  This is why there's no point in obtaining attuned purple sets.  😄

Huh, guess that's news to me. Then again, I rarely exemp once I get to 50 so it makes sense I would miss this kind of stuff.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

This is a pretty accurate rundown. The only mistake I'd like to point out is that you always get the set bonuses from Purples/ATOs/PvP IOs even if the power they are slotted in is greyed out. 

Also, let me further elaborate on the special IOs from sets. Those IOs can be put into 2 categories: Procs and Globals. 

As DSorrow already mentioned, Procs are treated as enhancements and will always work as long as you have the access to the power. The level of the IO doesn't matter in this case as you will still get the the full effect from it even when exemplared below the IO's level.

Globals, however, are treated as set bonuses, which means they follow the same -3 level exmplar rule. Also, you can't stack more than 5 instances of a single Global IO bonus. There are however 2 Global IOs that exempt from the exemplar rule: Gladiator's Armor +Def and Sheield Wall +Res. Those are treated as Purples and thus always provide the bonuses.

You can check which special IOs fell into which category here:

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Set_Enhancements_with_Special_Effects

Edited by Constantine
Typos

"First in, Last out"

Motto of Scrappers.

• 3 weeks later